BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X)

BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) (http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/index.php)
-   M3 Track: Racing and DE (http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   MCS Install Question (http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=572708)

SG/IRM3 Fri, Mar-17-2017 03:41:23 PM

MCS Install Question

My MCS 2WNR are being delivered today and I took a look at their website's install instructions. They warn not to use an impact tool to tighten the first top nut which sits against the brass nut on the rebound adjuster. My experience with my AST suspension and Vorshlag camber plates was that you couldn't get their top nut tight enough to avoid clunking without an impact. Vorshlag says they use an impact on all of their MCS installs. I'm aware of the proper use and cautions when using an impact but wondered if anyone can provide first hand experience with regard to using/not using an impact tool on the top nut?

ThunderMoose Fri, Mar-17-2017 03:47:51 PM

Re: MCS Install Question

for the record I used impact.

My recommendation is prior to install, make sure that rebound and compression can be adjusted freely. Then put them in the middleish settings. I had to buy a thin 7/8" wrench to get the second nut tightened.

SG/IRM3 Fri, Mar-17-2017 04:02:28 PM

Thanks for the reply! I'll follow your recommendations and was wondering what size thin wrench I would need.

10speed Sat, Mar-18-2017 03:55:55 AM

I use an impact driver. It really only has the capability torque to about 60ft/lbs when you let it hammer away. When I install the first nut, I just let the driver hit it a couple times and its enough to snug it down without over torqueing. After that, 7/8's thin wrench and the same process for the 2nd jam nut. Works well.

SG/IRM3 Sat, Mar-18-2017 04:11:17 AM

After looking at them an impact should be no problem. Need to source a thin wrench tomorrow so I can get them installed. Your method sounds good. These things look almost too good to put in the wheel well though. Quality pieces.

SG/IRM3 Tue, Mar-21-2017 03:02:24 AM

Finished the install with the only remaining item being the lower rear shock bolt. Does it require a washer? The stock shock doesn't require one since it has a built in plate on the lower mount and the washer from my old ASTs is too large and hits the shock body before the bolt is fully seated.

I did see in another thread that Thundermoose did not use a washer? Any other feedback?

ThunderMoose Tue, Mar-21-2017 03:38:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SG/IRM3 (Post 1067616057)
Finished the install with the only remaining item being the lower rear shock bolt. Does it require a washer? The stock shock doesn't require one since it has a built in plate on the lower mount and the washer from my old ASTs is too large and hits the shock body before the bolt is fully seated.

I did see in another thread that Thundermoose did not use a washer? Any other feedback?

If you find a washer let me know. I will say that mine has held up for last 2+ years without one.

SG/IRM3 Tue, Mar-21-2017 03:52:17 AM

Will do - thanks.

SG/IRM3 Tue, Mar-21-2017 04:33:29 PM

Confirmed with Jason McDaniel at Vorshlag that no washer required on rear lower shock bolt.