BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X)

BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) (http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/index.php)
-   E46 M3 (2001-2006) (http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Best Daily Driver Suspension? (http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=552433)

oleg232000 Wed, Aug-10-2016 02:54:14 PM

Best Daily Driver Suspension?

So I am looking to replace my stock suspension.

I am not planning to track the car. I would like it lowered a bit for the stance and look (maybe 1" to 1.5"). I am in LA, so there are plenty of potholed streets.

One of the options I was looking at is the DINAN/JRZ setup. They are not coilovers, but I was questioning whether a full coilover would be too aggressive for a car that never sees the track? Thing is with the DINAN setup, its only lowered .5". Wondering if you can even see the difference aesthetically speaking?

Money is an issue. I am not trying to go over $1000. I have found the bilstein PSS setups for around that price range. Just dont know if its worth it, and even if I could afford it, will the car be way to stiff?

Thanks for any input

AK_Topwise Wed, Aug-10-2016 03:03:25 PM

Re: Best Daily Driver Suspension?

At that price point I really think Koni yellows and Eiback Pro-Kit is impossible to beat.
My car started out with OEM suspension went to ST Coilovers and now Koni/Eibach. The Koni yellows are much better than the OE dampers and the Eibach pro-kit is a subtle drop (perfect height out front 13.5" howver the rear could go lower as it only sits at 13.75" on my car which gives it a rake reverse of stock).

I found the ST coilovers looked great as I could dial in the exact ride height I wanted BUT they were super crashy over any bump in the road, this was no good where I live as the roads are brutal and I was in need of a more comfortable/compliant setup that could soak up the daily bumps.

I have the Konis set at 1/4 turn firm up front and 3/4 turn firm in the rear, however they rode just perfect at the softest setting.

If I could do it again I may have gone with the H&R springs as they go lower in the rear and around the same out front. A lot of feedback on the forum hear said that they were too low for the Koni damper travel and they would end up bottoming out quite often, after a year on my current setup I may have hit the bumpstops once or twice, so I doubt going another 3/8" lower in the rear would have made any difference.

Hope this helps you out a bit. In my personal opinion and based on my experience with my car over the past 6 years there is no budget coilover (around $1000) that is going to make the car better, it will look great but ride quality will suffer big time! You need to spend big money on coilovers to get the benefit they provide so if you are not constantly changing your ride height what is the point?

oleg232000 Wed, Aug-10-2016 03:36:17 PM

I heard alot of great things about KONIs. Any website you recommend for the best price? Also what does that translate too in terms of amount of height drop from stock height?

AK_Topwise Wed, Aug-10-2016 03:39:15 PM

ecstuning is a great place I like to order from but I think you can find those konis a lot of different places online just shop around and find the best price. ecs does sell them with the eibach springs as a kit that makes it a bit cheaper i think.

The eibach pro-kit states 0.9" drop front and 0.6" drop rear.

Obioban Wed, Aug-10-2016 03:55:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AK_Topwise (Post 1067475205)
At that price point I really think Koni yellows and Eiback Pro-Kit is impossible to beat.
My car started out with OEM suspension went to ST Coilovers and now Koni/Eibach. The Koni yellows are much better than the OE dampers and the Eibach pro-kit is a subtle drop (perfect height out front 13.5" howver the rear could go lower as it only sits at 13.75" on my car which gives it a rake reverse of stock).

I found the ST coilovers looked great as I could dial in the exact ride height I wanted BUT they were super crashy over any bump in the road, this was no good where I live as the roads are brutal and I was in need of a more comfortable/compliant setup that could soak up the daily bumps.

I have the Konis set at 1/4 turn firm up front and 3/4 turn firm in the rear, however they rode just perfect at the softest setting.

If I could do it again I may have gone with the H&R springs as they go lower in the rear and around the same out front. A lot of feedback on the forum hear said that they were too low for the Koni damper travel and they would end up bottoming out quite often, after a year on my current setup I may have hit the bumpstops once or twice, so I doubt going another 3/8" lower in the rear would have made any difference.

Hope this helps you out a bit. In my personal opinion and based on my experience with my car over the past 6 years there is no budget coilover (around $1000) that is going to make the car better, it will look great but ride quality will suffer big time! You need to spend big money on coilovers to get the benefit they provide so if you are not constantly changing your ride height what is the point?

Agreed :agree:

oleg232000 Wed, Aug-10-2016 04:08:13 PM

Is that normal to have the rear higher than the front? That wont effect reliability or performance? Probably looks good though

m3elmo Wed, Aug-10-2016 04:34:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oleg232000 (Post 1067475257)
Is that normal to have the rear higher than the front? That wont effect reliability or performance? Probably looks good though

i have/had the dinan/JRZ setup on my car and to be honest it looks like it's barely lowered or about stock height. what you could do is run the tien s-tech springs in with those shocks. comfort wise it was excellent and better than OEM. I'm not using the dinan/jrz setup anymore because it's not suitable for track-usage mainly b/c the springs are inadequate because they are progressive and too soft.

ride height the front is higher than the back when you look at the wheel arches or the "stance" but if you look at the rocker panel it's more even or even rakes a tad. the front wheel arch is much larger than the rear arch.

cozmo kraemer Wed, Aug-10-2016 04:48:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m3elmo (Post 1067475274)
i have/had the dinan/JRZ setup on my car and to be honest it looks like it's barely lowered or about stock height. what you could do is run the tien s-tech springs in with those shocks. comfort wise it was excellent and better than OEM. I'm not using the dinan/jrz setup anymore because it's not suitable for track-usage

ride height the front is higher than the back when you look at the wheel arches or the "stance" but if you look at the rocker panel it's more even or even rakes a tad. the front wheel arch is much larger than the rear arch.

The Dinan/JRZ setup was the best riding DD suspension I have ever felt in an E46m. The high quality shocks make a big difference.

BTB Wed, Aug-10-2016 05:06:10 PM

I also have konis/eibach springs. Would recommend for a street car. They're fine to go to some track events too, though obviously not quite like a full coilover with sway bars, etc.

Cha5en Wed, Aug-10-2016 05:23:59 PM

Best Daily Driver Suspension?

Whoa! 9 posts so far and not only has no one mentioned crap stance kits (bc/fortuneautocrap9000 ect) but we're now even warning about ST's?!

There just might be hope yet for this subsection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk