BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X)

BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) (http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/index.php)
-   E36 M3 (1992-1999) (http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Dual stage airbag swap into single stage wheel...? (http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=575324)

Nate047 Mon, Apr-03-2017 07:47:09 PM

Dual stage airbag swap into single stage wheel...?

Hey guys, quick question about airbags. I'm considering getting a wheel like this:

My car is a April 1999 build date, I'm lead to believe that means I have a dual stage airbag. Should I be able to swap my original airbag and slip ring into this reconditioned wheel with no problems? Or...? Any compatibility issues I need to know about?

I don't know if the reconditioned wheel is originally from a car with a single stage or dual stage airbag, or if that even matters. But I would not be surprised at all to learn the clips and wiring are different, so before I buy the wrong shit, any help would be appreciated! :taser:

M_Parallel Mon, Apr-03-2017 08:41:45 PM

Re: Dual stage airbag swap into single stage wheel...?

I take it you have an E36 since you ask in this forum section.

No E36 ever had a dual-stage airbag.

Nate047 Tue, Apr-04-2017 06:17:56 PM

My mistake, I guess I had that wrong.

kevinwilly Tue, Apr-04-2017 10:00:28 PM

FWIW, there's two holes in these wheels.

The center round hole for the shaft, and the hole above it for the wires.

The wire hole for single stage wheels has the pointy-topped triangular shape that you see in the picture you posted.

The dual stage wheels have an oval shaped hole like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-MSport-M...dX86O1&vxp=mtr

Even though almost all of them SAY e36/e38/e39, they don't actually fit e36's. But they MIGHT fit some of the later Z3's, I think. Which are technically the e36 chassis.

Anyways, the seller andri-zakus on ebay is a member over on bimmerforums. If you PM him and get up with him on facebook he'll cut you a deal to avoid ebay fees. I got one from him and it's SUPURB.

Took about 3-4 weeks to get to me from the ukraine, but it's worth it. It's an awesome steering wheel.

M_Parallel Tue, Apr-04-2017 10:06:51 PM

Actually all wheels fit the shaft no problem. It's the slipring and switch/stalk assembly that cause problems, although post 3/99 setups can be retrofitted to the E36.

Nate047 Tue, Apr-04-2017 10:35:04 PM

Ahhhh good call. I don't mind waiting, I will reach out to him.

Do you have an Alcantara wrapped wheel or a perforated leather wrapped wheel? I'm kinda on the fence, I like both. I kind of like the perforated leather a bit more and I feel like it might hold up better.

westopher Tue, Apr-04-2017 11:25:43 PM

FYI I have an alcantara wheel and have had it for most 4 years. I just ordered a new one so it can look fresh again. They definitely need an insane amount of care. They also look so much better IMO.

Nate047 Tue, Apr-04-2017 11:58:23 PM

Where did you get your wheel from? I'd love to see some photos of how it looks after 4 years. I think your interior lends itself well to Alcantara with the shift knob and seat material. My interior is black/sand beige so I kind of like the more traditional leather. I don't have any suede or Alcantara anywhere.

kevinwilly Wed, Apr-05-2017 01:56:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M_Parallel (Post 1067626193)
Actually all wheels fit the shaft no problem. It's the slipring and switch/stalk assembly that cause problems, although post 3/99 setups can be retrofitted to the E36.

Yeah, all the shafts for airbag wheels are the same as far as I know.

The dual stage setups CAN be retrofitted and work with just one stage hooked up, but that has never been proven to actually deploy the airbag correctly.

So sure- it MIGHT work. But without actually firing an airbag there's no way to know 100%.

kevinwilly Wed, Apr-05-2017 01:58:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate047 (Post 1067626218)
Ahhhh good call. I don't mind waiting, I will reach out to him.

Do you have an Alcantara wrapped wheel or a perforated leather wrapped wheel? I'm kinda on the fence, I like both. I kind of like the perforated leather a bit more and I feel like it might hold up better.

Coby wheel is probably the best place to get an alcantara wheel if that's all you want.

I got a 3 spoke 99 M wheel rewrapped with tricolor stitching and had the bottom of the wheel flattened.

I don't like perforated leather and alcantara isn't wear resistant enough for a steering wheel, in my opinion.