BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X)

BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) (http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/index.php)
-   E46 M3 (2001-2006) (http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   USB charger stays on (http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=594505)

Paulo M Thu, Dec-14-2017 04:20:09 PM

USB charger stays on

Yes I’ve searched and know they do stay on even after the car is off.

I have this new flat usb charger that is flat enough to where I can close the ash tray lid. Unfortunately the blue light on the usb charger stays on and since my car isn’t a dd I don’t want to risk draining the battery (nor having to remove it after every drive since it’s so flat it’s hard to take off and just inconvenient.).

If I buy a flat USB port/charger that doesn’t have an indicator light, will it still draw power? Of course there won’t be a phone plugged into it once car is off. Or any way to get it to turn off once car is off? I’m ocd so I need the cleanest look to stay sane and I use my iPhone every drive for music/nav (no Bluetooth unfortunately). Thanks!

Drewster Thu, Dec-14-2017 04:22:10 PM

Re: USB charger stays on

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paulo M (Post 1067760072)
If I buy a flat USB port/charger that doesnít have an indicator light, will it still draw power? Or any way to get it to turn off once car is off? Thanks!

Yes - a small amount since regulators aren't 100% efficient. Unplugging or adding a switch are really your main options..

How long will the car sit? If it's less than a week, it might not matter compared to the parasitic draw from everything else..

Paulo M Thu, Dec-14-2017 04:32:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drewster (Post 1067760074)
Yes - a small amount since regulators aren't 100% efficient. Unplugging or adding a switch are really your main options..

How long will the car sit? If it's less than a week, it might not matter compared to the parasitic draw from everything else..

Thanks, thatís what I figured.

It really depends how long the car sits. Most of the time just a few days, other times few weeks (thatís what I like tho, worry free and not having to think about anything).

Right now I just plug and unplug, but I donít want to keep doing that since when I do use the car itís a lot (I alternate cars and leave one in a storage).

Paulo M Thu, Dec-14-2017 04:33:50 PM

I saw a diy to get it to stop drawing power once car is off, but pics are down and I need diy for dummies since diy is not my forte.

daytonaviolet Thu, Dec-14-2017 04:36:11 PM

if the phone is not plugged in, the draw on that tiny LED is very minimal. if worried just pull it out.

Paulo M Thu, Dec-14-2017 04:38:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daytonaviolet (Post 1067760084)
if the phone is not plugged in, the draw on that tiny LED is very minimal. if worried just pull it out.

Thatís why I asked if I buy one without the led indicator light, will it still draw power?

Taking these off is a huge pita, itís so flat so I have nothing to grab onto to pull it out.

M3_Pilot Thu, Dec-14-2017 04:38:32 PM

To answer your question, yes. However it would be a very small amount of power, we're talking fractions of a watt. I'm pretty sure the car itself uses more power whilst on standby than the charger would. How much? I don't know.

C///M Thu, Dec-14-2017 05:47:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M3_Pilot (Post 1067760087)
To answer your question, yes. However it would be a very small amount of power, we're talking fractions of a watt. I'm pretty sure the car itself uses more power whilst on standby than the charger would. How much? I don't know.

This. But if you're storing the car all winter, then just unplug the one you have and keep it in the ashtray. That's what I do.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

KubinB Thu, Dec-14-2017 06:11:10 PM

If your car is sitting long enough for that to kill your battery, you probably want to consider using a tender... allowing the battery to drain like that over and over will result in a shorter life of the battery itself.

hlmiii Fri, Dec-15-2017 05:14:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KubinB (Post 1067760154)
If your car is sitting long enough for that to kill your battery, you probably want to consider using a tender... allowing the battery to drain like that over and over will result in a shorter life of the battery itself.

This.

The charger by itself will NOT drain the battery in any noticeable way.

If there is any other question about battery discharge due to time get a battery tender. It will more than pay for itself over a few years worth of use.