BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X)

BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) (http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/index.php)
-   E46 M3 (2001-2006) (http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Seats killing my back! (http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=577334)

Graphic Tue, Apr-18-2017 05:11:18 PM

Seats killing my back!

I have a 06 M3 with pretty much all options including bolsters. I bought a $20 lumbar support pillow but these seats freaking suck! I'm 5'7" 184lbs and I'm in good shape.

I feel like the bottom cushion sits too low and there is now real support. I been messing with the lumbar support so much I hear the motor wearing out when pressing down on the pad.

I read somewhere someone created a fix by messing with the bottom seat cushion and clips coming off or something? I have looked all morning and I'm not able to find it.

I need a solution! If you guys had an actual fix or know of one please link me.

Just to be clear it's not how I sit and it's not any adjustment I make it's the seat. My oem Evo 9 seats dont give me this pain, my recarro pole positions don't hurt, my 328i seats don't hurt, neither do my civics.

Pahkthebeemah Tue, Apr-18-2017 06:17:10 PM

Re: Seats killing my back!

there is a thread on here about this that got bumped up lol. I agree with you.. these seats aren't comfy at all for my body type. I'm 5'8 185lbs, an avid weight lifter and these just don't feel comfortable at all. something about the upper portion of the seat for me. pain all in my shoulders, traps, mid back. I'll be selling the two front seats and getting some better ones this summer.

(http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=554378)

SQ13 Tue, Apr-18-2017 06:46:14 PM

Passengers have told me the M3 seats are the most comfortable car seats they've ever sat in. And those who have sat in my fixed-back seats think they're more comfortable than OE seats.

I'm about the same height as y'all but not the same weight anymore (injury), and I find fixed-back seats very comfortable. Just add a lumbar cushion, and you're good for long drives.

TheSt|G Tue, Apr-18-2017 06:55:46 PM

I find all E46 seats to be pretty awful(comfort, sport, vert, M3, M3 vert).

Usually starts with my lower back falling asleep, and then eventually becomes pain(1hr+). Recaros eventually...

Braymond141 Tue, Apr-18-2017 07:47:03 PM

Recaro Pole Positions >

Stock seats I'm feeling the tingles after 45mins. Recaro I'm good for four hours plus.

Dr M3an M3 Tue, Apr-18-2017 07:55:11 PM

Interesting. I find the power lumbar seats to be incredibly comfortable, personally. I have yet to get any sort of driver fatigue, even on long road trips. I often get complements from passengers on how comfortable the seats are and to date, my girlfriend has yet to complain (which is the true test lol). I'd like to think I have the power lumbar and all the seat adjustments dialed in.

A friend of mine has Recaros in his Fiesta ST, and while they provide more bolstering for twisty roads which is great, cruising for any point in time longer than 30-45min KILLS my back. Those seats are also sized for VERY slim people. I am 5'11, 200lbs and in fit shape, and any larger than myself, and you wouldn't fit in those seats. Those are the factory seats in his car, and I have zero wiggle room in them. No idea how bigger guys sit in them.

SunD3v1L Tue, Apr-18-2017 08:02:06 PM

I fkn love my e46 M3 heated lumbar seats, very comfortable.

Drove daily in them for the last 6 years, including a 2,300 mile across the country trip in them..

I guess everyone's different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

m3nt0s Tue, Apr-18-2017 08:59:19 PM

Weirdly I find my driver's seat very comfortable, and the cushioning is quite well worn in, even at 6+ hours of driving. The passenger seat on the other hand is unbearable for me.

Graphic Tue, Apr-18-2017 09:12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr M3an M3 (Post 1067635668)
Interesting. I find the power lumbar seats to be incredibly comfortable, personally. I have yet to get any sort of driver fatigue, even on long road trips. I often get complements from passengers on how comfortable the seats are and to date, my girlfriend has yet to complain (which is the true test lol). I'd like to think I have the power lumbar and all the seat adjustments dialed in.

A friend of mine has Recaros in his Fiesta ST, and while they provide more bolstering for twisty roads which is great, cruising for any point in time longer than 30-45min KILLS my back. Those seats are also sized for VERY slim people. I am 5'11, 200lbs and in fit shape, and any larger than myself, and you wouldn't fit in those seats. Those are the factory seats in his car, and I have zero wiggle room in them. No idea how bigger guys sit in them.

Think about it. I'm 5'7" at 185lbs. I have a fairly stocky frame. It's not the width that's an issue. It's that the bulster seems to not provide any support from my lower hips all the way to the mid of my small back.

I read somewhere someone fixed this by taking the seat apart and replacing the cushion. I feel that the cushion makes me sit WAY to low in the seat.

Anyone know where I can find this article. I been looking today but I haven't been successful. I found it once 5 months ago

To the people recommending pole positions. I have a set in my evo they're phenomenal. I want to retain my air bags for safety and be able to move the seats for passengers and for me to grab stuff out of the back. This car is my daily.

WyattH Tue, Apr-18-2017 09:43:46 PM

I find the premium lumbar optional seats comfortable and supportive for both spirited driving and road trips. Id never remove mine. The standard seats are a bit weaker in both regards, and I could see some people swapping those out.