BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X)

BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) (http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/index.php)
-   E46 M3 (2001-2006) (http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Review 996 Porsche 911 Brembo Brakes Installed! (http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=455631)

dafoe Mon, Sep-16-2013 03:15:03 PM

Review 996 Porsche 911 Brembo Brakes Installed!

Hey guys,

I wanted to share my experience with my recent BBK upgrade.

It all started when a few people posted reviews of there budget BBK, or MBK... (medium brake kit) as a cost effective alternative to the pricier all inclusive kits. This really perked my interest, as i am not a full time racer and am only looking for a moderate bump in brake performance, while keeping the bias similar to stock, and of course the BBK bling was my main reason...

Calipers
I was able to source a set of Porsche boxter S calipers (same as 996 standard 911, and the Cayman S models) from car-part.com for $500 plus shipping.

Here they are in their dirty glory...
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-B...7F05B37021.JPG

I heard P0lar was good helping out with caliper work. I contacted him, and he agreed to help me bring the calipers back to life. I shipped him the calipers, and he immediately inspected all the componnets, tore them down, and had the 5mm removed from the boss. He also told me the Piston's looked good!

He has a media blaster and was able to completely remove all the paint and debree prior to shipping them over to the thepowdercoater.com, where they were finished in race yellow, with a gold flake clear coat. They were then sent back to P0lar for final inspection, and installation of seals and boots. He meticoulously packed the calipers and shipped them back to me.

P0lar is one helluva resource! Glad he was able to help!

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-4...o/IMAGE_1.jpeg

Needless to say the calipers are now basically brand new.

Rear Brackets
P0lar also designs a rear bracket that alleviates the rotor ring associated with other rear brackets... Glad to have the full contact patch.

Front Brackets
Purchased used RallyRoad Brackets.

Brake Lines
Went with RallyRoad steel braided brake lines which are made for these brembo calipers, and they're coated!

Rotors
OEM ZCP... got the rears from Tischer getbmwparts.com

Brake pads
Front (Porsche Boxter S front pads)
Textar d917

Rear (Porsche Boxter front pads)
Textar d737

Good thing, there are LOT's of pad choices with these sizes.

Installation was a breeze! I had NO issues, besides me breaking one of the set screws removing the old rotors.

Used the pressure bleeder, and bled them twice to make sure all the bubbles were out of the system.

Of course with any good thing, I had to wait... My Apex ARC 8's 18x9.5 et 35 would not clear the front calipers, so had to next day 5mm spacers.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-N...%2520Imgur.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-S...%2520Imgur.jpg

Impressions

First let me say that I was only expecting a slight increase in braking performance, and the bling from this kit... Not only was the braking much improved with this setup, but I was really impressed with the performance aspect... I know the calipers, and rotors weigh less than OEM. But Wow, the car really accelerates faster, and feels more nimble, especially in the turns... I am VERY happy I set out on this brake build.

The good thing I was able to spread the expense across a six month period, so I didnt take the hit all at once. ;) Telling the wife I am spending a couple thousand on brakes would not go over well... lol

All said and done it was about $2400 for the entire kit.

Having said all that, I am was not that impressed with my color choice on LSB... I am pondering getting another caliper set, and selling these yellow ones. The yellow just contrasts too much with LSB IMO.

IF anyone is looking for a set, or has a set in the process, and wants yellow, I'll make it worth your while to do a trade up. :) These look amazing on black or gray! Or I may just send them back to be refinished.

Hope this helps anyone looking to do this mod.

Cheers all!

Simon//M3 Mon, Sep-16-2013 03:29:27 PM

Re: Review 996 Porsche 911 Brembo Brakes Installed!

Thanks for the review/write up! I actually like the yellow with the LSB. Maybe it will grow on you?

BearDeXPS Mon, Sep-16-2013 03:48:08 PM

I'll take dibs on these... please PM price shipped ot 78230 :) I was looking to do this in yellow myself... my car's down for a while so I'm in no rush :)

ZCPIBM3 Mon, Sep-16-2013 03:52:03 PM

Dave,

Looks great! Thank you for all the info/post you've posted.
One question,
Eeven if you have OEM ZCP brake setup, do you still need the RR front bracket?

boconnor811 Mon, Sep-16-2013 04:14:16 PM

Subscribing to follow the discussion here, I'm intrigued by this kit.

@Dafoe I don't think the yellow looks too bad either, but also understand if aesthetics was part of the justification you'll want it exactly to your liking.

gojcaj Mon, Sep-16-2013 04:14:45 PM

Those look great! Can't say I like the yellow either, but they aren't terrible against the blue.

niart906 Mon, Sep-16-2013 04:16:55 PM

Awesome, great writeup. As for your color choice, I love it!! I wouldn't change a thing...

dafoe Mon, Sep-16-2013 04:29:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZCPIBM3 (Post 1066331750)
Dave,

Looks great! Thank you for all the info/post you've posted.
One question,
Eeven if you have OEM ZCP brake setup, do you still need the RR front bracket?

Thanks bro! Yes, you still need the RR bracket. BUT, you already have the rotors! So... maybe a $1500 brake upgrade for you lucky guys! lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by boconnor811 (Post 1066331770)
Subscribing to follow the discussion here, I'm intrigued by this kit.

@Dafoe I don't think the yellow looks too bad either, but also understand if aesthetics was part of the justification you'll want it exactly to your liking.

Thanks man... If I had black wheels it would look better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gojcaj (Post 1066331771)
Those look great! Can't say I like the yellow either, but they aren't terrible against the blue.

Thanks... the performance bump made me forget about the color contrast. lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by niart906 (Post 1066331774)
Awesome, great writeup. As for your color choice, I love it!! I wouldn't change a thing...

Thanks man! :)

I am waiting on some SLR pics from this weekend at Mpact show.

saidgee Mon, Sep-16-2013 04:31:59 PM

they look great!

GnarMach Mon, Sep-16-2013 05:06:49 PM

Thanks for the review, been contemplating this setup myself. I like the yellow quite a bit, but I think I'll end up going with red as well to match my interior.