BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X)

BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) (http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/index.php)
-   E90 M3 (Sedan) | E92 M3 (Coupe) | E93 M3 (Convertible) (2008-2013) (http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   To do rod bearsing or not? That's the ??? (http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=605802)

Captain Kirk Tue, Mar-05-2019 08:38:51 PM

To do rod bearsing or not? That's the ???

I am about to fire the bullet on a 2009 M3 that HAS NOT had the rod bearings done. I've talked to two BMW factory trained tech still working for BMW that are saying that the particular VIN I am buying falls outside the "Open Campaign" that BMW had where they were replacing them under warranty.

My question is this - do I dare NOT replace them? Yes I can afford to do them, but if BMW truly rectified the tolerances, then should I spend the $2500 to have them professionally done?

I'm in KC, so can any of you enthusiasts tell me where to have them done that are closer to me than NYC?

pbonsalb Wed, Mar-06-2019 12:56:25 AM

Re: To do rod bearsing or not? That's the ???

There was no bmw campaign to replace rod bearings on these cars. 90% that come out look bad regardless of age or mileage. Itís your roll of the dice. If you get unlucky, and a small % of owners do, itís $10k to $25k depending on who does the work and what motor you get.

I did mine in 2014 when the extended warranty ran out. Did them myself. $500 in parts.

Whitehawk8 Wed, Mar-06-2019 04:36:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Kirk (Post 1067930523)
I am about to fire the bullet on a 2009 M3 that HAS NOT had the rod bearings done. I've talked to two BMW factory trained tech still working for BMW that are saying that the particular VIN I am buying falls outside the "Open Campaign" that BMW had where they were replacing them under warranty.

My question is this - do I dare NOT replace them? Yes I can afford to do them, but if BMW truly rectified the tolerances, then should I spend the $2500 to have them professionally done?

I'm in KC, so can any of you enthusiasts tell me where to have them done that are closer to me than NYC?

Couldnít you just get an oil report and let the data give you an answer?

pbonsalb Wed, Mar-06-2019 11:28:28 AM

Cars with good oil tests have suffered bearing failure. Unless you have tests from changes since new, I would not rely on oil tests.

Captain Kirk Wed, Mar-06-2019 03:01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbonsalb (Post 1067930797)
Cars with good oil tests have suffered bearing failure. Unless you have tests from changes since new, I would not rely on oil tests.

This is exactly correct. One would need a baseline of data when the status of the internal components was KNOWN to be in good working order. Then, you could start the monitoring process to measure the change in the content of the oil samples. If the seller were to simply have just changed the oil, the lab could only tell you what was suspended in the oil at the time the sample was taken.

Whitehawk8 Wed, Mar-06-2019 03:08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Kirk (Post 1067930855)
This is exactly correct. One would need a baseline of data when the status of the internal components was KNOWN to be in good working order. Then, you could start the monitoring process to measure the change in the content of the oil samples. If the seller were to simply have just changed the oil, the lab could only tell you what was suspended in the oil at the time the sample was taken.

You can just compare to universal averages. It wonít give you the full story but it will help out

M3_Pilot Thu, Mar-07-2019 03:32:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Kirk (Post 1067930523)

As far as I'm concerned, the rod bearings on the s54, s65, and s85 should be replaced despite them being part of the recall or not. I had a friend who replaced his bearings with BE bearings on his e90m and the originals were pretty worn at 80k.

Whitehawk8 Thu, Mar-07-2019 03:51:54 AM

For example with universal average. On the s54 the normal readout for lead is around 8-10ppm.

Say yours comes back at 60ppm. That means shits about to hit the fan and itís about to go.

jeffgo888 Tue, Mar-19-2019 07:55:23 AM

You WILL bite the bullet if you dont do them, why risk it?

Captain Kirk Tue, Mar-19-2019 01:48:03 PM

UPDATE - To do rod bearsing or not? That's the ???

Thanks all for the input! Finding this site and it's members to be very beneficial already. So beneficial, I've bought a 2009 White on Black 6MT with 42K miles on it from a member here. Tip of the hat to Sokol who's moving on to a GT3. Rough life he has.

Made the decision to have Matt and his team at AUTOcouture in Jersey do the rod bearings, motor mounts, an all fluids except plugs and coolant; those were already done by the seller.

I will post up pictures on the bearing thread and will update my garage with pictures when the car gets here via Plycar next week.

Happy motor sporting all!