BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X)

BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) (http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/index.php)
-   E46 M3 (2001-2006) (http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   1st to 2nd gear super notchy at full throttle...Thoughts? (http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=599595)

Hamann_m3 Mon, Jun-25-2018 06:02:38 AM

1st to 2nd gear super notchy at full throttle...Thoughts?

Hello everyone, so I am the second owner of a 2003 e46 m3 6speed. The car has about 137k miles on it. I am curious to here thoughts of this issue. At full throttle shifting from 1st to 2nd gear is super notchy where I have to man handle the shifter and force it into 2nd gear. Most of the time i pull of the shift knob off how hard I try to throw it in...But normal driving 1st to 2nd is not bad (not full throttle)

So far based on my research I have planned....

1. Changing tranny fluid
2. Looking into a short shift kit (not sure if this will aid)
3. CV delete

Any other suggestions?

Thank you for your time

Sean

mrgizmo04 Mon, Jun-25-2018 06:35:42 AM

Re: 1st to 2nd gear super notchy at full throttle...Thoughts?

Previous owner(s) probably danced around the gears a bit much. This sounds like worn synchros/internals and they can not be rebuilt.

Short shifter will make effort higher and even more notchy. I don't know if there is one that helps this.

Changing fluid can help a bit. Some noticed a difference adding royal purple synchromax.

Cdv will not do anything to change how worn synchros feel during a shift since you change gears with clutch fully disengaged.

You can try to swap a used smg tranny in (they don't take the same beating since they are shifted by the computer) or get a new unit from distributors (very expensive).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

TboneM3 Mon, Jun-25-2018 06:47:58 AM

Shift slower. Put some thicker lube in there, 75w90, hopefully you're in a warmish climate. Stay with the stock shifter setup, but refresh the bushings. Keep or obtain the tall, stock shift knob as well.

Or replace the tranny as said above. But I wouldn't use a runny atf like synchromax, I think you want to slow the synchros down to engage.

Hamann_m3 Mon, Jun-25-2018 07:28:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrgizmo04 (Post 1067837528)
Previous owner(s) probably danced around the gears a bit much. This sounds like worn synchros/internals and they can not be rebuilt.

Short shifter will make effort higher and even more notchy. I don't know if there is one that helps this.

Changing fluid can help a bit. Some noticed a difference adding royal purple synchromax.

Cdv will not do anything to change how worn synchros feel during a shift since you change gears with clutch fully disengaged.

You can try to swap a used smg tranny in (they don't take the same beating since they are shifted by the computer) or get a new unit from distributors (very expensive).

Understood.Got it so basically I need a new tranny. If it was a synchro going out wont it grind instead of being tough to get into gear?

Hamann_m3 Mon, Jun-25-2018 07:30:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TboneM3 (Post 1067837531)
Shift slower. Put some thicker lube in there, 75w90, hopefully you're in a warmish climate. Stay with the stock shifter setup, but refresh the bushings. Keep or obtain the tall, stock shift knob as well.

Or replace the tranny as said above. But I wouldn't use a runny atf like synchromax, I think you want to slow the synchros down to engage.

Yah Im going to have too...But once im on the throttle your natural instinct is to change fast. Yes i was reading about the bushings. Is there a list for all the shifter bushings? So no to getting a UUC short shifter or any other...

HassanEido Mon, Jun-25-2018 08:02:05 AM

Change ur fluid first

mrgizmo04 Mon, Jun-25-2018 03:03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hamann_m3 (Post 1067837535)
Understood.Got it so basically I need a new tranny. If it was a synchro going out wont it grind instead of being tough to get into gear?

The feeling of "super notchy" is the synchro, unless you meant only the very increased effort to get it into gear. "Super notchy" does have some grind. Just not being able to get it into gear, that can be a slightly different path to replace tranny mounts, plastic cup and other shifter linkage bushings.

Paulo M Mon, Jun-25-2018 03:28:50 PM

Do you have the stock knob? Going back to the taller knob got rid of my 1st gear issues.

Hamann_m3 Tue, Jun-26-2018 02:13:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrgizmo04 (Post 1067837593)
The feeling of "super notchy" is the synchro, unless you meant only the very increased effort to get it into gear. "Super notchy" does have some grind. Just not being able to get it into gear, that can be a slightly different path to replace tranny mounts, plastic cup and other shifter linkage bushings.

Yah there is no grind at all that just really hard to throw it into 2nd gear. Okay perfect thats where I will start. Thank you for the advice my man

Hamann_m3 Tue, Jun-26-2018 02:14:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paulo M (Post 1067837606)
Do you have the stock knob? Going back to the taller knob got rid of my 1st gear issues.

I have the stock shift knob and shifter was thinking of going to a UUC short shifter, thinking it would solve my problems...