BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X)

BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) (http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/index.php)
-   E46 M3 (2001-2006) (http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   M3 SMG pump reconditioning (http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=413137)

RedM3/4 Fri, Aug-17-2012 04:40:08 AM

Re: M3 SMG pump reconditioning

Interesting. I'll try to pull my motor again tomorrow evening or Saturday. From memory when I pulled it a week or so ago I don't think mine has that silicon washer between the bearing and the case, but my memory isn't what it used to be! Worst case I'd just put a small bead of silicon caulk at the very edge where the motor meets the valve body, but I'd expect you're already water proof with your light fixture washer.
-------
One would think these motor shops would have seen a bit of everything, but with what we've learned from your experience, if I ever have this done I'm thinking I'd just get it to the point where I'd hand them the armature and do everything else myself.

Thanks for the update!

ADS

SteveEvans Fri, Aug-17-2012 10:01:46 AM

Note that the washer shown above is nothing like the original seal. If I get the chance to photograph an original one I'll post it. I considered a bead of sealant but that would hamper subsequent disassembly.

Steve

RedM3/4 Fri, Aug-17-2012 02:17:42 PM

Agreed, not ideal and I'd do as little as possible right at the edge of the base, versus underneath.
ADS
Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveEvans (Post 1065687534)
Note that the washer shown above is nothing like the original seal. If I get the chance to photograph an original one I'll post it. I considered a bead of sealant but that would hamper subsequent disassembly.

Steve

SteveEvans Wed, Aug-22-2012 09:01:38 PM

A quick update to mention that the replacement temperature sensor (BMW p/n 13-62-1-709-966) is made by VDO, replacing one made by Bosch. Not sure if this suggests a switch of supplier and a corresponding quality improvement.

Also, the pump on my car is behaving perfectly since I implemented the resistor mod, see HERE. I won't therefore be installing this pump immediately. I'll report back in due course.

I now know that the accumulator on the car is good too. See HERE for how I tested it.

Steve

RedM3/4 Wed, Aug-22-2012 11:37:39 PM

I think I have the Bosch part number written down and have one to look at, but can you post the VDO part number for ref please?

Thanks for the update.

ADS

SteveEvans Thu, Aug-23-2012 08:20:41 PM

Written on five of the six faces are:

VDO
CZECH REPUBLIC
805/9/1

I'm afraid that with the sensor mounted I can't read the sixth. Sorry about that.

I believe that the 805/9/1 is the part number judging by some online searches.

Steve

denism3freak Thu, Nov-22-2012 08:09:43 PM

any new developments on the smg unit my car jumps out of gear into n once i slow down past under 10 mph so my baby is sitting in the garage waiting on a new pump . I was told by my mechanic that its not the pump that breaks its just that motor is that true and if so is there a way we can just change the motor on the pump.

Thanks alot for your hardwork man Cheers

SteveEvans Fri, Nov-23-2012 06:17:17 AM

No developments as my car has been OK since I did the resistor mod. The reconditioned pump is safely wrapped up waiting for when its needed. With ~145k miles on my car I rather expect to need it soon!

Steve

willoug4 Sat, Jul-13-2013 11:59:19 PM

Steve, this is really great research, and I'm sure everyone with an SMG appreciates your help and advice. Would you agree or disagree with this conclusion, based on my ignorant read of your research: the "resistor fix" is likely to only make that SMG light go off, and won't affect the real problem. Also, replacing the motor that drives the hydraulic pump might be a better solution to the pump run-time issue?
My SMG is working very well, but since I've relocated from a cool weather climate, to a very hot one, the SMG light comes on from time to time, flashes a bit, sets an SES light, then goes out. I'm sure it's trying to run me mad, and I'd like to learn whether the hot weather here ( 109 to 118 F daytime) has truly caused a problem with the trans, so I can fix it. Thanks again for all the good input!

SliM3 Mon, Jul-15-2013 04:46:34 PM

Just FYI:
If anyone is interested in replacing the brushes, minus a full armature re-wind, here is the website to purchase them L5-5H 5mm x 5mm x 13mm Copper M. I have not done any replacements yet, but the electric motors on the SMG units are basically the same as ABS Pump motors, for which these are compatible.