BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X)

BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) (http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/index.php)
-   E46 M3 (2001-2006) (http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Colors? (http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=599265)

Analog///M Wed, Jun-13-2018 03:56:09 PM

Colors?

I notice color seem to effect the price of the car ranging from 2k-8k... Prices are all over the place :jawdrop:

I cant seem to find any with IB/Cinn or PY/Kiwi, AW/Cinn or AW/imola

I would even give Imola red on Imola red a try I wonder how this looks in person?
any pics of the above mention colors?

Obioban Wed, Jun-13-2018 04:32:23 PM

Re: Colors?

Grey interior hurts value. Cin and imola interiors bump value.

Any exterior color, and white, increase value. Any M exclusive color bumps value a bunch.

IB requires ZCP, which also increases value.

So... if you want not grey/silver/black exterior, and you want a colored interior... Well, you're going to have to pay for it. 2-8k increase in value is, indeed, realistic.

EYEHAVEYOU Wed, Jun-13-2018 04:34:14 PM

Those are all highly desirable (or rare in the case of PY/Kiwi) color combos, you'll have to pay a premium. Tons of pics around here, look at journals of cars with those combos.

Rkymtnrider Wed, Jun-13-2018 04:57:25 PM

34 py/kiwi imported to N.A market. Of which, Only 4 were made for the US. They were special order. 2 w/smg and 2 w/manual. The rest went to canada. Thats where i found mine. You should look there. Importing from canada was pretty easy. I paid $17,000CAD for mine. After the conversion rate at the time only actually cost me $12,500USD. Then i had to pay a 3% import tax. Well worth it IMO. There are a bunch of different color combos offered in canada that werent offered here. Good luck on the hunt!

neopolymath Wed, Jun-13-2018 05:30:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Analog///M (Post 1067833134)
I notice color seem to effect the price of the car ranging from 2k-8k... Prices are all over the place :jawdrop:

I cant seem to find any with IB/Cinn or PY/Kiwi, AW/Cinn or AW/imola

I would even give Imola red on Imola red a try I wonder how this looks in person?
any pics of the above mention colors?

I just finished my search for my M3 and noticed this as well. The prices of these cars are all over the place in general. You factor in color combos and it gets very interesting to read the market and probabilities. You must exercise extreme patience to find the color combo you want AND a car in good shape with a good history unless you want to pay a massive premium. You must be willing to wait a year or more even. So many cars with desirable options were not good cars in general and owned by people who did not maintain them. How these people end up with these cars is beyond me.

Personally, my advice would be to consider purchasing a car with the exterior color you want as long as the history and condition is satisfactory to you. The interior can be changed with minimal effort and expense if you can do basic DIY at all. The price difference for a car with a desirable interior color is WAY more than the cost to switch an interior over by watching the classifieds based on my experiences recently. It's important to note that a gray car will require more work to convert to another color than a black car though because many more parts are gray...

It really depends on your ideals, too. I am coming from an LSB on black/gray M Roadster to an M3 daily driver. This is not a forever car and I was not willing to pay Cayman S/other desirable car money just for a cooler/rarer color combo. I am lucky enough to be able to afford many great cars, but did not see the value. You need to ask yourself if you do. Many fine people on this forum view this as their forever car and want the exact car they dream of and that is admirable. These posters keep this community strong, impressive, and helpful for the rest of us. They are an example of how to maintain a vehicle.

Obioban Wed, Jun-13-2018 05:43:42 PM

I'd avoid grey interior cars if you plan to convert to a colored interior later. A grey starting point makes the project 10x more work.

Said as someone who's entire interior is out of the car at this very moment (and I previously converted my M3 wagon's grey interior)

BMWjunkie11 Wed, Jun-13-2018 05:54:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obioban (Post 1067833194)
I'd avoid grey interior cars if you plan to convert to a colored interior later. A grey starting point makes the project 10x more work.

Said as someone who's entire interior is out of the car at this very moment (and I previously converted my M3 wagon's grey interior)

I can add to this, I bought a JB on grey and I've done the swap. The swap itself it super easy, much easier than I thought. The big thing is it's time consuming, but its simple. Pull the seats, pull the center console, pull the dash, pull the carpet and go backwards for install. Just make sure the battery is unhooked, if you have everything ready to go, it's probably a one maybeee two day job.

Obioban Wed, Jun-13-2018 05:59:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMWjunkie11 (Post 1067833215)
I can add to this, I bought a JB on grey and I've done the swap. The swap itself it super easy, much easier than I thought. The big thing is it's time consuming, but its simple. Pull the seats, pull the center console, pull the dash, pull the carpet and go backwards for install. Just make sure the battery is unhooked, if you have everything ready to go, it's probably a one maybeee two day job.

My wagon project was worse, to be fair-- had to to the pillars, headliner, and all the trunk bits (of which there's a ton), in addition to the interior bits that are on the coupe.

Drewster Wed, Jun-13-2018 06:19:37 PM

Dove-grey, low optioned cars make *excellent* track cars :)

BMWjunkie11 Wed, Jun-13-2018 06:34:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obioban (Post 1067833220)
My wagon project was worse, to be fair-- had to to the pillars, headliner, and all the trunk bits (of which there's a ton), in addition to the interior bits that are on the coupe.

Yes I've done the pillars and head liner too. The B-pillars were the ones I found hardest because they have that little metal tab that has to slip in, that was a major PITA. Mounting a headliner by yourself is easily the most difficult of the interior swap process, I never felt like I had enough hands to do the job ha.