BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X)

BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) (http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/index.php)
-   E46 M3 (2001-2006) (http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Installed Spacers, now ticking noise (http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=592809)

arkow Thu, Oct-12-2017 09:28:55 PM

Installed Spacers, now ticking noise
 
I got 15MM spacers (brand new) for my back wheels and 1 of them is a bit loose while on the hub, basically i can move it up and down a tiny bit, is this normal? now while driving i hear a ticking sound... there is no rubbing etc..

Thanks

rovert604 Thu, Oct-12-2017 09:31:57 PM

Re: Installed Spacers, now ticking noise
 
The movement should be totally tight around the lip of the axel. I have zero movement with my 12 and 15mm spacers. The ticking is most likely from an extended bolt(s) that are too long and they’re hitting the parking brake components behind the brake rotor hat. Pull out a bolt and see if you see some wearing on the corner. That’ll verify that. But your spacers should not wiggle around.

m3vancity Thu, Oct-12-2017 09:58:31 PM

Re: Installed Spacers, now ticking noise
 
dont tell me you bought ebay spacers and made a thread about it..

arkow Thu, Oct-12-2017 09:58:55 PM

Re: Installed Spacers, now ticking noise
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by rovert604 (Post 1067732253)
The movement should be totally tight around the lip of the axel. I have zero movement with my 12 and 15mm spacers. The ticking is most likely from an extended bolt(s) that are too long and they’re hitting the parking brake components behind the brake rotor hat. Pull out a bolt and see if you see some wearing on the corner. That’ll verify that. But your spacers should not wiggle around.

I checked the bolts and they don't show any signs of wear, they came with the Spacers, it was a package deal so the bolts should be the right size. I checked the other wheel and the spacer doesn't have any movement when is on the hub. I got a replacement spacer coming, hopefully that will resolve the issue.

rovert604 Thu, Oct-12-2017 09:59:30 PM

Re: Installed Spacers, now ticking noise
 
[emoji1417][emoji1417]

arkow Thu, Oct-12-2017 09:59:43 PM

Re: Installed Spacers, now ticking noise
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by m3vancity (Post 1067732263)
dont tell me you bought ebay spacers and made a thread about it..

no, its not ebay, hehe..$100 for 2 15MM spacers with extended bolts..

m3vancity Thu, Oct-12-2017 10:30:18 PM

Re: Installed Spacers, now ticking noise
 
mind sharing the brand?

Paulo M Thu, Oct-12-2017 10:34:45 PM

Re: Installed Spacers, now ticking noise
 
Ticking sound is most likely from the bolts being too long. Happened to me before and you won't see any marks or anything when you remove for inspection. Try a shorter bolt.

arkow Thu, Oct-12-2017 10:45:07 PM

Re: Installed Spacers, now ticking noise
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by m3vancity (Post 1067732278)
mind sharing the brand?

They are ECS

arkow Thu, Oct-12-2017 10:45:58 PM

Re: Installed Spacers, now ticking noise
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Paulo M (Post 1067732280)
Ticking sound is most likely from the bolts being too long. Happened to me before and you won't see any marks or anything when you remove for inspection. Try a shorter bolt.

Hmm I was under the assumption that when buying spacers with bolts they are the proper length, no?


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:31:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2017 M3Forum.com