BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X)

BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) (http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/index.php)
-   E36 M3 (1992-1999) (http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Super Bright Fogs (http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=599198)

tripitz Sun, Jun-10-2018 10:32:56 PM

Super Bright Fogs

I may be doing a track event at night and I cannot upgrade my headlights from the stock US ones due to space constraints with my intake (BW Race intake). I have already restored my headlights to the best they can be and noticed that there is an H1 LED kit for the fogs that puts out 10k lumens. Anyone tried this kit (DDM Tuning)? The car is not registered for the street so I'm not worried about DOT approval/inspections.

JPoland Mon, Jun-11-2018 12:33:54 AM

Re: Super Bright Fogs

Quote:

Originally Posted by tripitz (Post 1067832081)
I may be doing a track event at night and I cannot upgrade my headlights from the stock US ones due to space constraints with my intake (BW Race intake). I have already restored my headlights to the best they can be and noticed that there is an H1 LED kit for the fogs that puts out 10k lumens. Anyone tried this kit (DDM Tuning)? The car is not registered for the street so I'm not worried about DOT approval/inspections.

I've done the DDM regular HID's way back in the day. If they work then they are great. My understanding is that turning then on and off is hard on them so if you are looking at 1 night then you may be ok. You said you already made the stockers as agood as they can be, Sylvania Silver Stars? They aren't HID's but they help.

tripitz Mon, Jun-11-2018 12:40:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPoland (Post 1067832109)
I've done the DDM regular HID's way back in the day. If they work then they are great. My understanding is that turning then on and off is hard on them so if you are looking at 1 night then you may be ok. You said you already made the stockers as agood as they can be, Sylvania Silver Stars? They aren't HID's but they help.

What makes the silver stars better? Seems like a halogen bulb at same wattage as the cheap ones? When I looked at them the package said 200 hour expected life. I don't care about color...

I did the 3m restoration on the plastic lenses (waiting to put clear on) so that as much light can actually pass through as possible.

I want something that is reliable and will be able to be turned on/off without issue. What do you mean by if they work?

j0rdan J Mon, Jun-11-2018 03:52:49 AM

LED bulbs?

Richardsperry Tue, Jun-12-2018 02:05:55 PM

There is ZERO hope. They are FOG lights, not driving lights.

They illuminate about 30 feet in front of the car, low and wide. On a track, that might as well be nothing. At 90 mph, you are moving 132 f/sec with a reaction time of 1 sec, 30 ft is already run over...

Buy driving lights, install a relay.

M3AN Tue, Jun-12-2018 03:00:37 PM

?

https://drive-my.com/media/com_easys...1_featured.jpg

tripitz Tue, Jun-12-2018 03:57:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richardsperry (Post 1067832659)
There is ZERO hope. They are FOG lights, not driving lights.

They illuminate about 30 feet in front of the car, low and wide. On a track, that might as well be nothing. At 90 mph, you are moving 132 f/sec with a reaction time of 1 sec, 30 ft is already run over...

Buy driving lights, install a relay.

Where would you put the driving lights? I've been looking at light bars and mounting it on the bumper is only 2-3 inches above where the fogs are (at least centered). I considered the fogs because I have several fog light housings, it's something I can easily install/uninstall.

Definitely open to suggestion as I have about 4 weeks until the event.

I have a switch board in my dash so I don't mind wiring it as necessary (relays, etc.).

Richardsperry Tue, Jun-12-2018 04:21:18 PM

The optics are completely wrong. Fog lights are supposed to be low and wide. They are meant for going slowly in fog.. (defuse, wide and not very far)

Driving lights are narrow, and focused long. So you can see where you’re going at speed.

Like I said at 90 mph you are moving 132 f/s. I’d think you want something that reaches out at least 3 times that?

ECSTuning Tue, Jun-12-2018 04:29:46 PM

I've ran crazy bright bulbs (LED and HID conversions) in fog lights in the past, yeah they put out a more light but nothing really helpful for high-speed driving. Could you run a set up like M3AN posted? That'll get the light source up higher let it project down the road.

SQ13 Tue, Jun-12-2018 07:15:46 PM

COTA on July 13?