BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X)

BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) (http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/index.php)
-   E36 M3 (1992-1999) (http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   re-dye, re-upholster or leave them alone? (http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=606714)

Earthwormjlm Mon, Apr-15-2019 12:02:15 AM

Re: re-dye, re-upholster or leave them alone?

I wouldn't use 70% IPA, dilute it to under 20%. That's what most detailers recommend for degreasing. It's not really a primary cleaner either, use something less aggressive for actual scrubbing like dish soap that is easy on your hands. Follow up with IPA for a quick wipe to remove the cleaner you used and any left over grease.

Definitely wouldn't use Acetone either, that will burn through the leather paint in no time.

M_Parallel Mon, Apr-15-2019 02:49:46 AM

This was more an experiment to see its effect.

Is our leather painted or dyed?

Texaz3 Mon, Apr-15-2019 02:53:14 AM

I'd say painted.

Mollzyie Mon, Apr-15-2019 04:25:26 AM

Yo guys .. qq . What about leatherique ? Thatís what Iíve been planning on doing . Should I not bother ?

Texaz3 Mon, Apr-15-2019 04:42:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mollzyie (Post 1067945981)
Yo guys .. qq . What about leatherique ? Thatís what Iíve been planning on doing . Should I not bother ?

Not on this car seat leather.

Mollzyie Mon, Apr-15-2019 06:21:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texaz3 (Post 1067945988)
Not on this car seat leather.

Interesting man ... thanks 🤙🏼

Earthwormjlm Mon, Apr-15-2019 02:39:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M_Parallel (Post 1067945947)
This was more an experiment to see its effect.

Is our leather painted or dyed?

Painted also referred to as pigmented. Dyed does not hold up to years of UV exposure.
It's also a lot more expensive to have dyed leather. You need leather pieces which are borderline perfect as is.

M_Parallel Mon, Apr-15-2019 02:50:15 PM

Took me some while as Simple Green is not readily sold anywhere, but I found a German supplier and just put in an order for a starter kit and refills.

Can't wait to give it a go.

Do wonder wonder what out leather would look unpainted. Is there something like a 'base' color.

Still with black leather, it's hard to see what I'm taking off is dirt of paint.

The steering wheel I tested the alcohol/aceton on, it does look way more matt now (for better of for worse) and the leather doesn't look damaged.

But I'm not going to take my chances on the M3.

Having said that, Simple Green shouldn't be used on leather either, according to Simple Green's own website:

https://simplegreen.com/products/all-purpose-cleaner/

Quote:

Note: Do not use on suede, leather, unfinished wood, opals or pearls.
I guess it's not all black and white.

Contracheatcode Mon, Apr-15-2019 06:02:47 PM

Brett: What is your technique to get indentations in the leather and foam out??? Your seats look so crispy. :-)

In the past on my foam, I remove some of the leather and steam up the foam to expand it back to when it was new. I need to be more careful as I already ruined 1 of my e36 seats as I let the steamer get too close to the leather and it burned. Arg.

Mindart Mon, Apr-15-2019 07:30:21 PM

I used Brett's method of diluted simple green with the magic eraser on my drivers seat on my 2014 F150 and it took them from a dirty shine to a nice factory clean matte finish. I used very light pressure and it didn't go over and over the same area. Worked like a charm.

gonna try it with my Vaders here this weekend. I guess i wonder one last thing, its it worth it to apply some sort of light conditioner on these leathers or is that just a myth and these modern leathers with a top coat simply do not accept conditioners as they just sit on the factory top coat?

thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by M_Parallel (Post 1067946047)
Took me some while as Simple Green is not readily sold anywhere, but I found a German supplier and just put in an order for a starter kit and refills.

Can't wait to give it a go.

Do wonder wonder what out leather would look unpainted. Is there something like a 'base' color.

Still with black leather, it's hard to see what I'm taking off is dirt of paint.

The steering wheel I tested the alcohol/aceton on, it does look way more matt now (for better of for worse) and the leather doesn't look damaged.

But I'm not going to take my chances on the M3.

Having said that, Simple Green shouldn't be used on leather either, according to Simple Green's own website:

https://simplegreen.com/products/all-purpose-cleaner/

I guess it's not all black and white.