BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X)

BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) (http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/index.php)
-   E46 M3 (2001-2006) (http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   AGTStyling rear under diffuser question (http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=605986)

GrendelsbaneM3 Wed, Mar-13-2019 05:39:19 PM

AGTStyling rear under diffuser question
 
For anybody who has one of these diffusers do you notice more downforce in the rear? Is it functional or purely for looks? Also, do the fins ever scrape?

Thanks!:hattip:

FK Wed, Mar-13-2019 06:27:37 PM

Re: AGTStyling rear under diffuser question
 
LOL

It's for looks man.

M spec Wed, Mar-13-2019 06:42:19 PM

Re: AGTStyling rear under diffuser question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GrendelsbaneM3 (Post 1067933509)
For anybody who has one of these diffusers do you notice more downforce in the rear? Is it functional or purely for looks? Also, do the fins ever scrape?

Thanks!:hattip:

It might work, however, to for it have a chance it needs the floor in front of it to be slick.

In this shot you can see there's not a whole lot of air that is being directed under the car to it. So no, it really does nothing, but it is a interesting looking piece.


http://gallery.tchleung.com/albums/GTR/Diffuser5.jpg

GrendelsbaneM3 Wed, Mar-13-2019 07:50:22 PM

Re: AGTStyling rear under diffuser question
 
That is what I thought. I just thought it would lessen the air being caught up in the space behind the rear CSL diffuser. I have seen people take them off for the track or cut slits in them to, I assume to let air flow out.

polar3 Thu, Mar-14-2019 05:44:46 AM

Re: AGTStyling rear under diffuser question
 
I recently picked up a front lip from AGT and it came in a timely fashion and packed very nicely/safely. I was happy with the product upon opening the package :)

erickrayos Thu, Mar-14-2019 06:02:58 AM

Re: AGTStyling rear under diffuser question
 
it will be fully functional if you can make everything up front of it flat. by itself it doesn't do much, it still adds a bit of downforce but nothing you can feel.

m3nt0s Wed, Jun-12-2019 04:33:32 PM

Re: AGTStyling rear under diffuser question
 
Does anyone have any idea if this has a negative effect on airflow? At the very least, it's already unnecessary added weight.

Paulo M Wed, Jun-12-2019 06:50:33 PM

Re: AGTStyling rear under diffuser question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by m3nt0s (Post 1067965446)
Does anyone have any idea if this has a negative effect on airflow? At the very least, it's already unnecessary added weight.

You’ll only get speculations and race car bro-science answers here. Big name performance shops don’t have access to wind tunnels etc, let alone random dudes on car forum. Buy it if you like how it looks.

erickrayos Wed, Jun-12-2019 07:11:32 PM

Re: AGTStyling rear under diffuser question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Paulo M (Post 1067965490)
Youíll only get speculations and race car bro-science answers here. Big name performance shops donít have access to wind tunnels etc, let alone random dudes on car forum. Buy it if you like how it looks.

there's already a video on youtube about this. granted its on a Miata model but they compared just a rear diffuser vs a diffuser w/ complete flat bottom. the diffuser did add downforce but nothing significant while having the bottom completely flat and channel the air thru the diffuser it adds quite a lot of downforce. just google it I guess.

Paulo M Wed, Jun-12-2019 07:28:23 PM

Re: AGTStyling rear under diffuser question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by erickrayos (Post 1067965499)
there's already a video on youtube about this. granted its on a Miata model but they compared just a rear diffuser vs a diffuser w/ complete flat bottom. the diffuser did add downforce but nothing significant while having the bottom completely flat and channel the air thru the diffuser it adds quite a lot of downforce. just google it I guess.

Iím not denying a rear diffuser can add downforce. The AGT is a tweaked replica of the varis. It was designed/molded in some guyís garage overseas (initially). The Miata, with whatever diffuser they used isnít an m3 or agt diffuser. Too many variables/differences. Unless all diffusers with flat bottoms provide proper downforce for any car.

Not saying agt does or doesnít, but itís all bro-science until proven properly.


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:32:38 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2017 M3Forum.com