BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X)

BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) (http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/index.php)
-   M3 Track: Racing and DE (http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Transporting Track Wheels (http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=203401)

LightWerkz Tue, Mar-25-2008 03:06:48 AM

Transporting Track Wheels

Heres my dilema:

I want the best auto-cross tires, but as you know its not a good idea at all to drive to the event on them. Ive driven on the falken azenis rt615's before and loved them, but want something even more dedicated....I have just enough space to store the wheels in my garage, so changing wheels in the garage isnt a problem. Either way I will be needing to change my wheels to auto-cross wheels, so I figure why not go all out.

So how do you guys do it?

Are you fitting 4 265/275's in the rear seats? Is that even possible?

In the trunk I need to fit the jack, some tools, helmet, and other track/auto-x necessities, so I fiure if anything, you people are throwing the wheels in the rear seats. I rather not scuff up or damage anything though :(

Let me hear your thoughts!

Antroiny Tue, Mar-25-2008 03:34:19 AM

Before I gutted my car, I bought some tire totes and put three wheels and tires in the back seat (usually I would fold it down and stack them on their side so they wouldn't move), one in the front passenger seat, and my jack, track equipment box, and folding chairs in the trunk. With the rear seats folded down, I was once able to get all four wheels and tires back there standing up, but it was a very tight fit and they would roll back and forth between the rear shelf and front seats.

Now that I don't have the back seat as a storage option (the roll bar and fixed seats don't allow for me to put anything bigger than a helmet in the back), I have a roof rack and Thule box for three wheels and tires and folding chairs, the fourth in the front passenger seat still, and the track equipment box still in the trunk.

silber Tue, Mar-25-2008 03:38:06 AM

I am able to fit four 18x9.5 SSR Comps on 265/35 BFG R1's in the back of my car without a problem and I have a Kirk rollbar and fixed back seats. I should mention that my interior is pretty much gutted. I was a bit concerned with making it all fit, but I'm able to get my tires, jack, necessary tools, bags, and anything else I need in without having to use the passenger seat. Using a rack/tire trailer is unnecessary.

EDIT: I should mention that all tires must be loaded in through the trunk in my setup. Obviously with the fixed back seats and diagonal cross bar loading the tires from the driver/passenger side door would be impossible.

vndkshn Tue, Mar-25-2008 03:47:18 AM

All four 275s in the rear seat area. Just put the seat backs down and in they go.

LightWerkz Tue, Mar-25-2008 03:50:38 AM

Ah, great news guys :)

Looks like the night before I will just prep the car and wake up in the morning and go to the event :)

oh2fly Tue, Mar-25-2008 12:00:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vndkshn (Post 2870006)
All four 275s in the rear seat area. Just put the seat backs down and in they go.

I never thought to put the seat backs down. I just line my 275/35/18s across the seat with no problems, except that I have to drive with my seat just a little forward of where I'd want to? I think I try putting the seat back down next week.

BTW, do you line them up or stack them with the seat back down? It would seen like a hazard if they were stacked.

silber Tue, Mar-25-2008 12:34:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LightWerkz (Post 2870016)
Ah, great news guys :)

Looks like the night before I will just prep the car and wake up in the morning and go to the event :)

You'll be fine. Just get some tire totes to protect your interior.

BAV_M_PWR Tue, Mar-25-2008 12:41:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenwc (Post 2870798)
You'll be fine. Just get some tire totes to protect your interior.

+1 on the totes :goodluck:

Cheeze Tue, Mar-25-2008 02:23:15 PM

Giant plastic trash bags work just as well. You can put one in the trunk and 3 in the back seat (one behind you so you can still adjust the seat how you like it). In the e36 I can put one of them in place of the spare tire, another in the trunk, and then two in the back seat. I somehow manage to fit 4 wheels tires plus camping equipment plus all track related tools, jacks, jackstands, helmet, etc for my track events in the e36. I even took a friend with me to one so he was in the passenger seat and had a bag of his own. That was a tight squeeze.

LightWerkz Tue, Mar-25-2008 02:24:56 PM

I have some tre totes I never used :)

Order the hoosier a6's for auto-x ! Cant wait...

Thanks for the reassurance everyone, didnt want to make an expensive mistake!