Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : My Touch Up Painting Technique (Long)

Speedi
Mon, Apr-29-2002, 03:52:00 PM
I thought I would share my method for applying touch-up paint to my baby. I'm not sure about the clear laquer on the BMW, so maybe someone can inject where it might go into this process?

Items needed:
1. Needle or toothpick with tip "broken" off
2. Meguires Cleaner/Wax
3. Your favorite polish -- I use Zymol, other use Zaino, etc.
4. Clean Terry-cloth (100% cotton towel) - for taking off cleaner wax
5. Clean Normal 100% cotton towel (slightly damp) - for applying cleaner/wax
6. Patience

Now, out to the car:
1. Clean off the spot with alcohol. This removes all waxes. [optional]

2. Shake up your touch-up paint REAL WELL and Open container.

3. Take needle or toothpick and get some paint.

4. FILL the chip, gently moving the paint from egde-to-edge of the chip.

NOTE: At this point, pay close attention to see if you have filled the chip IN and that you have NOT overrun the edges onto the factory paint.

NOTE: Also, if you make a mistake... apply some Meguires and take the paint off. It should not be a problem.

NOTE: Make sure that the paint is not raised up in the middle. This is important as you'll see later you need to be able to knock the edges off.

5. Wait 5 mins or so and determine whether you need to roll your fingernail TOP over the chip to make it level with the surrounding paint -- this can happen if you put too much paint in the chip. At this point, you can also GENTLY rub your finger across the paint to "move" it from edge to edge if you didn't get it the first time around. This also helps with smoothing the top.

NOTE: At this point, you MAY need to add more point INTO the chip to fill the hole to make it level with the surrounding paint. Once paint dries, it has a tendency to fall into the chip -- this is a dirt collector and can really be fixed later, if necessary by repeating Steps 1-5.

6. Wait about 5-10 more mins.

7. Once the paint is even, or darn close to it, take the Meguires Cleaner/Wax, apply some onto the normal damp towel (single, not folded), and rub it across the chip... you'll probably feel the uneveness of the chip through the towel.

8. With increasingly faster motion, and a little more pressure, keep rubbing the wax across the chip... you should feel the chip edges less and less.

9. STOP. Take this wax off with the terry towel.

10. Repeat Steps 7 thru 9 continuously, or until the touched-up place is smooth, while turning the towel to ensure no scratching of the paint occurs.

[Clean off with Alcohol, again. Then apply clear laquer here?]

11. Apply Zymol or Zaino to the area waxed.

It has taken me about 5 years to figure this out... and yes, it takes patience, but it works beautifully -- I have managed to perfect this to where it takes < 30 mins to do and you CANNOT see the chips unless you absolutely KNOW where to look... and then it takes some work to see.

Let me know if you have any questions about this procedure.

Tx.
- Speedi

Mon, Apr-29-2002, 04:25:00 PM
Do you make house calls?

jonam
Mon, Apr-29-2002, 09:27:00 PM
Where can I get the touch up paint and how much does it cost?
Thanks in advance

davidw333
Mon, Apr-29-2002, 09:30:00 PM
complain to your dealer's service dept about chips and scrathces upon delivery and he should give you a bottle. It's much easier for them than to touch it up for you.

------------------
A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother

jonam
Mon, Apr-29-2002, 09:45:00 PM
well, it's too late for me to complain since I picked up my car 11/01. Besides,it was perfect back then.
Speedi, if I remeber correctly, you got your car from United. How much paid for a bottle of touch up paint?

Speedi
Tue, Apr-30-2002, 05:35:00 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RJC:
Do you make house calls?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have been known to touch-up my friends' cars... not to mention my wife's car.

If you lived close by, I wouldn't mind. I know how traumatic it is to get a chip in the paint. Argh!

- Speedi

Speedi
Tue, Apr-30-2002, 01:45:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jonam:
well, it's too late for me to complain since I picked up my car 11/01. Besides,it was perfect back then.
Speedi, if I remeber correctly, you got your car from United. How much paid for a bottle of touch up paint?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

She threw in the paint at no charge to me. http://m3forum.com/ubb/smile.gif I don't think I have EVER paid for my first bottle of touch-up paint on ANY new car I've owned. I think it should be standard to throw in touch-up paint upon delivery.

At first, I admit, she wanted me to let United BMW do it for me whenever I showed up for service as she was touting how GREAT they are at touching up -- she said you couldn't see it. I believe her, but I don't want to wait 15k or so miles before having some chips touched-up.

- Speedi

jonam
Tue, Apr-30-2002, 03:27:00 PM
Speedi,

Thank you for the info.
Next time I go to Atlanta, I will ask for it. Hope Becky(sales) or Matt(service) is still working there. I think United is much nicer than the dealer here at Knoxville, TN. They sucks and I can't imagine what I should do if my car go wrong with something after all those troubles during 1200 service.

gtobynj
Tue, Apr-30-2002, 06:11:00 PM
I like speedi's way better, it is less time consuming, but check out this link for excellent touch up procedures! http://www.carcarespecialties.com/paint_chips.html

Speedi
Wed, May-01-2002, 02:09:00 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jonam:
Speedi,

Thank you for the info.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No problem. Let me know if you need to know any other information. I don't think Becky is there any longer... but Matt is still there, I believe.

United BMW in Duluth, GA is the best, IMO. I'm sure there are other great dealerships, but all I can say is that I'm impressed with these folks!

- Speedi

Roadrunner
Wed, May-01-2002, 02:38:00 AM
thx for the post! just what i needed.

GVF
Sun, Jun-13-2004, 08:27:25 PM
Speedi -- I just touched up a chip using your method and it looks better than I ever was able to do before. Thanks! -- Gregg

rheesteve
Tue, Jun-15-2004, 12:14:35 AM
I thought I would share my method for applying touch-up paint to my baby. I'm not sure about the clear laquer on the BMW, so maybe someone can inject where it might go into this process?

Items needed:
2. Meguires Cleaner/Wax
6. Patience

Now, out to the car:

NOTE: At this point, pay close attention to see if you have filled the chip IN and that you have NOT overrun the edges onto the factory paint.

NOTE: Also, if you make a mistake... apply some Meguires and take the paint off. It should not be a problem.

NOTE: Make sure that the paint is not raised up in the middle. This is important as you'll see later you need to be able to knock the edges off.

5. Wait 5 mins or so and determine whether you need to roll your fingernail TOP over the chip to make it level with the surrounding paint -- this can happen if you put too much paint in the chip. At this point, you can also GENTLY rub your finger across the paint to "move" it from edge to edge if you didn't get it the first time around. This also helps with smoothing the top.

NOTE: At this point, you MAY need to add more point INTO the chip to fill the hole to make it level with the surrounding paint. Once paint dries, it has a tendency to fall into the chip -- this is a dirt collector and can really be fixed later, if necessary by repeating Steps 1-5.

7. Once the paint is even, or darn close to it, take the Meguires Cleaner/Wax, apply some onto the normal damp towel (single, not folded), and rub it across the chip... you'll probably feel the uneveness of the chip through the towel.

8. With increasingly faster motion, and a little more pressure, keep rubbing the wax across the chip... you should feel the chip edges less and less.

10. Repeat Steps 7 thru 9 continuously, or until the touched-up place is smooth, while turning the towel to ensure no scratching of the paint occurs.

It has taken me about 5 years to figure this out... and yes, it takes patience, but it works beautifully -- I have managed to perfect this to where it takes &lt; 30 mins to do and you CANNOT see the chips unless you absolutely KNOW where to look... and then it takes some work to see.

Tx.
- Speedi

Great....this thread is 3 weeks too late.

I should write a thread about HOW TO PHUCK up a touch up paint job.

:bs:

rheesteve
Sat, Jun-19-2004, 01:23:49 AM
So since my last post......I got 2 new chips marks....HUGE chip marks. Not sure where they came from. Anyway, I'm going to use this thread to fix them. Shanks.

squider
Wed, Jun-23-2004, 06:32:12 PM

Items needed:
2. Meguires Cleaner/Wax
6. Patience

Now, out to the car:

It has taken me about 5 years to figure this out... and yes, it takes patience, but it works beautifully -- I have managed to perfect this to where it takes &lt; 30 mins to do and you CANNOT see the chips unless you absolutely KNOW where to look... and then it takes some work to see.

Tx.
- Speedi

It was inevitable, got my first chip and thought I would try this. One question, for steps 7 and 8 when you're rubbing the wax to even the paint to the edges, is the paint dry or semi dry?