Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : bad speeding ticket in VA .. can anyone help?

maditalian
Thu, Dec-01-2005, 01:51:42 PM
hey guys, i got a 85 on a 55 on the dulles toll road :banghead: :cry: which apparently in VA it makes me a reckless driver and i got a court trial date already waiting for me. the officer was an ass to me on the road and i doubt it will be any better in court. he was like " u are going 30 over, anything 30 over its reckless" and i was like "well i know officer i am sorry, but i m right on that 30,u know 55 to 85, any chance u can make that a 84 on a 55 so i dont get a reckless charge i just get a fat speeding tik. everebody else its going 75/80 anyway" ha was like .."i hope u are kidding son, i will be nice and pretend that u didnt try to corrupt me and let u go, any other problem ... tell it to the judge"
ok so now i have a bad feeling for my court date.

if anybody in VA had an issue and has previusly used a lawer and/or know some traffic lawers in VA ... PLEASE pm or reply and share the lawer info, i am looking for one and i dont know anybody in VA. nor i know where to start looking. any help would be greatly appretiated :bow:

Bagher
Thu, Dec-01-2005, 02:37:00 PM
file continuances until you can't anymore. That will increase the chances that the cop won't show up to court. If you can, take a driver online improvement course (you can do this online) it will sho the judge you aknowledge your mistake. Since the cop was a ****, it is basically in the judges hands.

impulss
Thu, Dec-01-2005, 02:48:21 PM
I jsut went through all this.... I'll be going to court for my first reckless ticket next week.

20mph over the speed limit (or) over 80mph is automatic reckless in VA. At least thats' what I remember. It's 30mph over for 35mph zones.

What I've found out cuz of my ticket is that reckless is no joke. You can lose your license, and or go to jail if the judge sentences you.

It is highly advisable to get a lawyer, unless you know exactly what to say in court... Lots of people enroll themselves in a driving improvement school ahead of the court date and that helps to encourage the judge to reduce the charge.

A lawyer is your best bet, but you know you're looking at $500+, plus yoru fines for reckless could be $1000

maditalian
Thu, Dec-01-2005, 03:05:01 PM
i know a lawer its my best bet, thats why i started this threat, does anyone know one in VA?
peter, if u are getting a lawer for your ticket, can u pm me his info please. i know i will be looking at 500+ but i would rather pay that that getting my licence suspended by far. this bl0ws !!! if we were back in europe 85 in a hwy would have been 12mph UNDER the limit, over here they jail your ass :banghead:

yuanren
Thu, Dec-01-2005, 03:23:20 PM
I just paid a sh!tload for a lawyer. Pending on your record, it might be hard for you to dismiss this case. I know the VA law like the back of my hand cause I have tons and TONS of tickets. Here's the law:

1. If you are caught 80 mph anywhere in VA no matter what the speed limit is, it's considered reckless

2. 20 mph over the speed limit is reckless

Now, reckless, there is a possiblity of jail time, although unlikely, but it's possible, and it also depends on your previous record and how much of a **** the judge is. VA laws blow for speeding so you're fighting an uphill battle. In any case, if you get a good lawyer, you can possibly get it down to just a normal speeding ticket or if your record is good, you could possibly get it dismissed.

Doing what Bagher said about continuances cant work because you only get 1. So likelihood of cop showing up is around 99% since he only has to show up twice. But what Bagher said about the online course is definitely true. Definitely get a lawyer before your court date so they can get you a continuance. Take the online course so you can skip out on the 8 hr in class course. I've take 2 of those and the online course. The online course you can finish in like 1 or 2 hrs while ur at work, easy stuff for free points on your license. You just have to pass the test at the end at kinkos and if you know anything about driving, you should be able to get 100% on it. if you wanna know more, you can PM me or email me or AIM me, whichever you prefer. I know this **** well.

hey guys, i got a 85 on a 55 on the dulles toll road :banghead: :cry: which apparently in VA it makes me a reckless driver and i got a court trial date already waiting for me. the officer was an ass to me on the road and i doubt it will be any better in court. he was like " u are going 30 over, anything 30 over its reckless" and i was like "well i know officer i am sorry, but i m right on that 30,u know 55 to 85, any chance u can make that a 84 on a 55 so i dont get a reckless charge i just get a fat speeding tik. everebody else its going 75/80 anyway" ha was like .."i hope u are kidding son, i will be nice and pretend that u didnt try to corrupt me and let u go, any other problem ... tell it to the judge"

if anybody in VA had an issue and has previusly used a lawer and/or know some traffic lawers in VA ... PLEASE pm or reply and share the lawer info, i am looking for one and i dont know anybody in VA. nor i know where to start looking. any help would be greatly appretiated :bow:

yuanren
Thu, Dec-01-2005, 03:26:30 PM
oh yea, you should be laughing at your comment about spending $500+ ... you're looking at about $1000+ and that's estimating it cheap

03TitSilM3
Thu, Dec-01-2005, 03:30:42 PM
The exact same thing happened to my friend. We (2 couples in the car) were doing 86 on 55 and before you knew it a Grand AM started flashing the lights behind us. The punk a$$ beeyatch was extremely rude to my friend eventhough he admitted wrongdoing and apologized. "shut your mouth," & "you new yorkers think your sheet don't stink" etc etc. this in front of feemales
Anyway, go to http://www.speedingticket.net/ and take it from there.
That's what we did and he did not have to appear in court. License was suspended for 1 month though....but hey....no points and the fine was not very high from what i recall. However, I don't think $500 will cover everything. Unfortunately, VA is the worst place this could happen to anyone who's not from Virginia.

Good luck.

e46er
Thu, Dec-01-2005, 04:22:34 PM
I got a reckless no speed attached. Got a lawyer $1500 and he got it reduced to improper driving $100 fine. So total $1600. **** VA.

He can help you out, he got Shawn Taylor off a DUI on 495.

McLain Warren w Atty
(703) 691-0444
4069 Chain Bridge Rd # A
Fairfax, VA 22030

maditalian
Thu, Dec-01-2005, 04:47:28 PM
hey juanren, thanks for the info, its sounds like good news in a way

I just paid a sh!tload for a lawyer. Pending on your record, it might be hard for you to dismiss this case. I know the VA law like the back of my hand cause I have tons and TONS of tickets. Here's the law:

apparently after tons and tons of tixs u havent gone to jail and u still have your licence, so being that i only had like 4 in the last 3yrs i should be "fine" (fine as in i will have to pay money up the ass but i wont lose/get a suspended licence nor get jail time)
its will be awesome if u could pm me the contact info of the attorney that got u off the hook, do u still have that info around? :beer:

hey drew, what do u mean reckless with out speed? like u were swaying through lanes and making u turns with burnouts or something :rofl2: jk was your record ok? cos it seems like u got off easy with just a $100 fine. the att. did his job there i guess

yuanren
Thu, Dec-01-2005, 05:47:46 PM
PMed - however, that website that 03titsilm3 gave might also be helpful. I spent about 1500 on my lawyer and to be honest, i wasnt pleased. I didnt get any jail time but I still received my reckless but my lawyer said it was due to my bad record. Your 4 tickets in 3 yrs might be a little iffy, but you could talk with the lawyer first and see what she can do for you. That's one thing i neglected to ask, make sure you ask before hand if she can reduce you to just a regular speeding ticket or even better, an improper driving. I have had my license suspended before so it's not like i've had no consequences with my many tickets. Also, since you have a DC license im not sure if it's the same law, but if you get 2 reckless within 2 yrs, you can be damn sure your license will be suspended. Good luck to you either way.

edit - you can research for VA lawyers online and again, that website listed by 03titsilm3 is a good starting point

hey juanren, thanks for the info, its sounds like good news in a way

apparently after tons and tons of tixs u havent gone to jail and u still have your licence, so being that i only had like 4 in the last 3yrs i should be "fine" (fine as in i will have to pay money up the ass but i wont lose/get a suspended licence nor get jail time)
its will be awesome if u could pm me the contact info of the attorney that got u off the hook, do u still have that info around? :beer:

hey drew, what do u mean reckless with out speed? like u were swaying through lanes and making u turns with burnouts or something :rofl2: jk was your record ok? cos it seems like u got off easy with just a $100 fine. the att. did his job there i guess

e46er
Thu, Dec-01-2005, 07:58:39 PM
I got pulled over for accelerating from a light 'quickly.' Some BS, but my lawyer will help you out, he gets around.

Reckless is reckless, I could have gone to jail as well but I didn't, just got a ticket for improper driving and 3 points on a VA license I dont even have.

Dont be scared, I noticed they tended to **** people who had multiple violations or prior reckless tickets. Those without lawyers tended to be worse off as well.

Call Warren and tell him Drew Patten referred you and see what he says.

The communist republic of VA. Fukcing speed limit is 65 almost everywhere in the west, yet in good old VA they keep it at 55.

yuanren
Thu, Dec-01-2005, 08:13:32 PM
theres stretches of 66 i think that are 60 but thats about it, in any case, 55-60 is way too slow, VA blows big ****

Turbologist
Sat, Dec-03-2005, 02:42:12 AM
Sorry to hear that man... I think that the pig might bring up the fact that you tried to get him to reduce the ticket also... So beware of that..

Do you have any sort of legal services available through your job? That may be something to look into... Usually if you work for a large co., they do have some sort of legal service available and you enroll in it just like the medical/ dental plans...

Budman
Sat, Dec-03-2005, 06:15:32 PM
Its not like anybody in Va goes the speed limit, everywhere I go the cruising speed of traffic is 80.

datax
Sun, Dec-04-2005, 05:31:51 AM
Its not like anybody in Va goes the speed limit, everywhere I go the cruising speed of traffic is 80.

I know!!! Damn the law that states driving 80mph on freeway is reckless.

Bagher
Sun, Dec-04-2005, 02:32:08 PM
we were going 80+ the whole way down to dyno day :nixweiss:

datax
Mon, Dec-05-2005, 06:17:03 AM
Guys,

If you got a speeding ticket in Maryland, does the points transfer under your driving record in VA? Let's say I've VA license and got a speeding ticket in Rockville, MD. Thanks!

Turbologist
Mon, Dec-05-2005, 07:02:01 AM
I think with the newer systems that law enforcement uses nowadays, the information is dissemenated quite fluidly... Although it might take some time, it will carry over to your VA record... :nixweiss:

e46er
Mon, Dec-05-2005, 02:58:18 PM
Guys,

If you got a speeding ticket in Maryland, does the points transfer under your driving record in VA? Let's say I've VA license and got a speeding ticket in Rockville, MD. Thanks!

AFAIK they do not.

impulss
Mon, Dec-05-2005, 03:02:19 PM
I got a ticket in VA last year, and it shows up on my MD driving record.

But I did not get assessed the "points" as I woudl if i got the ticket in MD.

Each state has it's own rules, but as of now, I think every state will report tickets to your home states.. all except for Massachusetts i believe...

TopMarc
Mon, Dec-05-2005, 04:27:19 PM

Try http://macdowelllaw.lawoffice.com/Firm.shtml, Richard did a great job for me (he is a former commonwealth prosecutor).

I got caught on the Greenway doing 102 in a 65 limit. He advised me of what letters my company should write to the courts, what to do about driving courses and what to say to the judge etc. I got a $500 fine, 5 points on my license and a 30 day jail sentence suspended for 1 year on condition of no further offences - BUT I KEPT MY LICENSE - NO BAN which was my number one priority.

Needless to say the 30 day suspended jail sentence kept me honest and still does (even after 3 years) - there is no way I want to be some hairy-arsed Neanderthal's love toy in Leesburg jail.

Good luck - but if there is one piece of advice I could give you it would be - learn from this experience and dont get caught again.

Budman
Mon, Dec-05-2005, 05:49:24 PM

Each state has it's own rules, but as of now, I think every state will report tickets to your home states.. all except for Massachusetts i believe...

Any word on the ticket from skyline?

impulss
Mon, Dec-05-2005, 06:02:10 PM
Any word on the ticket from skyline?

It's this thurs... I'm taking donations if you like would to help out. I hope after paying $$$$ for the lawyer, I'm not still fined up the :bs:

e46er
Mon, Dec-05-2005, 06:14:51 PM

I dont think so. I heard VA reports to MD but MD doesnt report to VA. And I know for a fact that Wisconsin doesnt report to any other states, same as Utah.

M3@NYC
Mon, Dec-05-2005, 06:24:53 PM
Get ready to spend about 2k before all is said and done.

This includes attorneys and fines.

Then insurance will be another story.

impulss
Mon, Dec-05-2005, 06:26:07 PM
I dont think so. I heard VA reports to MD but MD doesnt report to VA. And I know for a fact that Wisconsin doesnt report to any other states, same as Utah.

Here are the compacts:
http://www.aamva.org/drivers/mnu_drvCompacts.asp

http://www.dui.com/drunk_driving_research/compact_members.html

Here is a diagram of the state memberships:
http://www.aamva.org/Documents/drvCompactsMapMapColor.PDF

eya_21
Mon, Dec-05-2005, 06:33:05 PM
Here are the compacts:
http://www.aamva.org/drivers/mnu_drvCompacts.asp

http://www.dui.com/drunk_driving_research/compact_members.html

Here is a diagram of the state memberships:
http://www.aamva.org/Documents/drvCompactsMapMapColor.PDF

i Dunno what thats telling us still.. does the Point transfer from one state to another? anyone with a real experience on this?

impulss
Mon, Dec-05-2005, 06:46:15 PM
i Dunno what thats telling us still.. does the Point transfer from one state to another? anyone with a real experience on this?

The compact states whether the states will report your out-of-state ticket to your home state or not.

Whether you get assessed points is up to your local state.

I know for MD, they will add the ticket to your record, but they do not assess points for out-of-state tickets unless it's something serious enough to cause a suspension.

You'll have to call the VA DMV to find out.

kstarcvngh
Mon, Dec-05-2005, 08:16:55 PM
DAMN i didn't think it was that bad in VA!!! i've gotten a speeding ticket in MD going 95 in a 55 mph and i got off pretty easy in court the judge lowered my points and ticket!!!! but that was like 3 or 4 years ago so i guess things have changed!!!! i wish you all the luck lorenzo!!!!

NoSoup4U
Fri, Dec-09-2005, 04:10:26 AM
impulss (peter) -- you should have contacted me and saved a lot of money -- not exactly what I do; but, I've gotten quite a few people off ... sorry to hear about your situation and hope it goes well!! :peace:

eya_21
Fri, Dec-09-2005, 04:25:04 AM
impulss (peter) -- you should have contacted me and saved a lot of money -- not exactly what I do; but, I've gotten quite a few people off ... sorry to hear about your situation and hope it goes well!! :peace:

so you're a lawyer i assume yes.. i might have to appeal for court in a month or two.. :peace:

NoSoup4U
Fri, Dec-09-2005, 04:12:36 PM
so you're a lawyer i assume yes.. i might have to appeal for court in a month or two.. :peace:

You could not afford my billable hourly rate .. and I don't know you.

e46er
Fri, Dec-09-2005, 04:18:58 PM

How do you know what he can and can't afford?

datax
Fri, Dec-09-2005, 05:58:54 PM

I doubt that Reza wouldn't afford your billable hourly rate. In his car, modifications (parts+labor) alone cost more than used 02-03 E46 M3. Just letting you know that because you said you don't know him.

impulss
Fri, Dec-09-2005, 11:10:10 PM

I didn't know you were a lawyer? :chair: My court was in charlottesville tho ahhaha.. If there is ever a next time, I will definitely contact you :peace:

kanned
Sun, Dec-11-2005, 12:56:41 AM
Just a quick note...

The point systems in MD and VA differ greatly. In MD you are assessed points for each infraction. In VA they remove points per each infraction [from 20]. Also the points associated for a violation differ per state.

In most cases your MD or VA license will state that you received a citation but will have little to no points assessed.

On another note.

After recently moving to VA [back in 2003] I got a reckless driving ticket in Arlington. I had yet to switch my MD license to VA but still had to appear in court. After hiring a lawyer and pleading my case to the judge, I was sentenced with reckless driving had to pay a 250.00 fine and attend a driving improvement course.

I have since switched from a MD to VA license, when doing so I asked the VA DMV if I had assed any points for pervious infractions. To my surprise MD driving record did not state any infractions.

As always your mileage may vary, and good luck.