Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : No front license plate in NoVA?

vti
Sun, Nov-27-2005, 04:06:48 AM
I just picked up my first M3 today (http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?p=1146448#post1146448). The dealer didn't put the front license plate on (or drill holes) since they know M owners usually don't want them on.

My question is how do you all who don't have front license plates avoid getting hassled by the police? I know it is a law to have a front license plate, but it looks so clean without it, I don't want to destroy that look.

So what are those of you who live in VA and don't have a front license plate doing?

///M3 Madness
Sun, Nov-27-2005, 04:44:53 AM
I have VA plates as I will be moving back to the NoVa area. Just be smart about getting caught in other illegal auto activities and you should be fine. I suspect it is most likely a fine or maybe a fix-it ticket, as is the case in Cali. If you don't want to pay those fines . . . drill, drill. :peace:

vrsixer
Sun, Nov-27-2005, 07:42:26 PM
I haven't run a front plate since I bought the car a year and a half ago. Cops have better things to do around here than worry about a front plate IMO. I've had to only once duck out to a side street to avoid a potential problem. Other than that, it's been smooth sailing...

Bagher
Sun, Nov-27-2005, 10:15:45 PM
I have been front plate free for about 2 months and no troubles

maditalian
Sun, Nov-27-2005, 10:29:59 PM
i havent had one on for more than a yr with my M and with my previous car about 2 yrs. the wont pull u over for just that

flagger
Mon, Nov-28-2005, 02:29:05 AM
I've been in NOVA for 10 years with no front plate on my M3, my previous Acura and a MR2 before that. (The MR2 also spent 4 years in Calif with no front plate). Never had a problem with local or state police.

The only place I've run into problems is in the District. They are pretty aggressive there and I've been ticketed twice in the MR2, both times when the car was parked on the street. Parking enforcement ticketed the car (not for overtime parking, just no front plate). $50 each time. So, ten years, $100. I can live with that.

DoOLiE11
Mon, Nov-28-2005, 08:27:57 PM
ive had my M for about 9 months now without a front plate...no problems so far...

xvxax
Tue, Nov-29-2005, 05:19:59 PM
I went 3 years without a front plate and then got pulled 2 consecutive times driving the car for not having one. I'm only 19 so I guess cops are looking for me. The second time I was trying to avoid pulling behind the cop and he noticed. I finally manned up and drilled my bumper. I see tons of bmws without them but it's not worth the hassle to talk to a cop for 30 minutes or worry about it all the time. There's a good chance you will get the ticket added on if you're pulled for something else, at least in Fairfax. If it were me and I had a brand new bumper I wouldn't drill it until my first ticket. Just letting you know my experiance.

TopMarc
Tue, Nov-29-2005, 06:09:18 PM
I just picked up my first M3 today (http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?p=1146448#post1146448). The dealer didn't put the front license plate on (or drill holes) since they know M owners usually don't want them on.

My question is how do you all who don't have front license plates avoid getting hassled by the police? I know it is a law to have a front license plate, but it looks so clean without it, I don't want to destroy that look.

So what are those of you who live in VA and don't have a front license plate doing?

The responses I have lined up are....

"Hmm, sorry officer...

a) Dealer didnt fit it and therefore I didnt think i needed it....

b) I see loads of cars without them and I thought that it was not a requirement (oh, I see, those cars are from West Virginia - didnt know that, how strange that you Americans have such fundamental laws on a state-by-state basis - see response c) below)

c) I'm from England and I was not aware of your local laws

IGNORANCE, IGNORANCE, IGNORANCE all the way

Got me off the one stop in 8 years (6 years ago in my MR2)- other than that they have left me alone.

Bagher
Tue, Nov-29-2005, 07:12:18 PM
They always say ignorance is not an excuse. Best to fess up and admit you are wrong, then grovel and maybe they will show mercy. Works for me (sometimes)

TopMarc
Tue, Nov-29-2005, 07:26:15 PM
They always say ignorance is not an excuse. Best to fess up and admit you are wrong, then grovel and maybe they will show mercy. Works for me (sometimes)
I beg to differ; they dont always say "ignorace is not an excuse". In my case it has worked very well. I am English, speak with an English accent and get away with it most of the time. It has worked for speeding, parking, and many other minor infractions. I guess you must not have the delivery required to sell your claimed ignorance.

If you've got it - flaunt it :o)

impulss
Tue, Nov-29-2005, 07:30:39 PM
The best excuse is that "you were in a car show and removed the front plate" due to picture taking.

The only ticket I've gotten for not having a front plate was when my car was parked on the street (at a meter) in DC. Now i put the front plate on the windshield to prevent that.

I've been pulled over on campus at UMCP only to get a warning ticket for not having front plates. And I've been told to pull over in M Street - Georgetown (while stuck in bumper to bumper traffic) and luckily only received a verbal warning.

Phat Ham
Thu, Dec-01-2005, 07:11:14 PM
I actually put my front plate back on after getting a ticket for it parked in front of my own house. After that I did the whole put the plate on the dash thing for a bit but that got old. The ticket was only $40, and I agree it looks better without the front plate (especially on an e46), but I'd rather have one less thing to worry about.

Bagher
Thu, Dec-01-2005, 08:11:07 PM
I beg to differ; they dont always say "ignorace is not an excuse". In my case it has worked very well. I am English, speak with an English accent and get away with it most of the time. It has worked for speeding, parking, and many other minor infractions. I guess you must not have the delivery required to sell your claimed ignorance.

If you've got it - flaunt it :o)

That is true, I have an Aussie friend who, when he gets pulled over, thickens up his accent and claims ignorance. Works for 'foreigners' I suppose

You damn English and your charming accents. :beer:

Bagher
Thu, Dec-01-2005, 08:15:13 PM
I actually put my front plate back on after getting a ticket for it parked in front of my own house. After that I did the whole put the plate on the dash thing for a bit but that got old. The ticket was only $40, and I agree it looks better without the front plate (especially on an e46), but I'd rather have one less thing to worry about.

Hampton, did you get your wheels chromed or are they just really shiny now?

Phat Ham
Thu, Dec-01-2005, 08:28:42 PM
Hampton, did you get your wheels chromed or are they just really shiny now? No chrome. The lighting kind of makes them look like it though. Those are my winter wheels. They are a satin finish with polished lip.

Poindexter
Thu, Dec-01-2005, 08:39:03 PM
I've asked a few of my cop friends about certain traffic infractions that apply to me :D

No Front Plate:
Ticket is only given when they catch you for something else and they feel like being jerks. They understand that it uglies up your car and they also understand that it is worthless to someone driving a nice car because it doesn't affect your driving record and anyone with a decent car will just pay the fine and laugh. The fine is $30 where I live.

Radar Detector:
They'll throw the book at you if they pull you for speeding and notice your radar detector. I'll quote one of my friends "you BMW owners think you're so slick hiding your Valentine 1's somewhere in the car and buying that slealth thing to stick in the ash tray - I make every BMW driver open their ash tray when I pull them over".

Window Tint too dark:
Same as the front license plate, but the fine is higher.

Exhaust too loud:
If you're car doesn't have primer on it and you're not trying to rev your car so everybody can hear it they don't really care. Falls under the "do I want to be a jerk" category.

They're all told me that as long as I'm not doing anything stupid and my registration/state inspection stickers are up to date most cops won't mess with me. Hopefully they didn't jinx me.

yuanren
Thu, Dec-01-2005, 08:51:23 PM
are your friends VA cops and more so ... are your friends Northern VA cops ... because i can guarantee NOVA cops will bust you for just about anything so fairfax county can stay one of the richest counties in the US

Poindexter
Thu, Dec-01-2005, 09:10:47 PM
I've heard horror stories about Fairfax cops. Yes, my friends are VA officers, but in Norfolk and Virginia Beach.

yuanren
Thu, Dec-01-2005, 09:37:08 PM
yea, fairfax is the worst, hate living around here just cause of that

Turbologist
Sat, Dec-03-2005, 02:34:42 AM
Cops have better things to do around here than worry about a front plate IMO...

No they dont... You will get pulled over for not having a front plate in NoVa... Thats all the pigs around here look for is something trivial to pull you over for...

MpoweredM
Sat, Dec-03-2005, 09:33:44 AM
I've asked a few of my cop friends about certain traffic infractions that apply to me :D

No Front Plate:
Ticket is only given when they catch you for something else and they feel like being jerks. They understand that it uglies up your car and they also understand that it is worthless to someone driving a nice car because it doesn't affect your driving record and anyone with a decent car will just pay the fine and laugh. The fine is $30 where I live.

Radar Detector:
They'll throw the book at you if they pull you for speeding and notice your radar detector. I'll quote one of my friends "you BMW owners think you're so slick hiding your Valentine 1's somewhere in the car and buying that slealth thing to stick in the ash tray - I make every BMW driver open their ash tray when I pull them over".

Window Tint too dark:
Same as the front license plate, but the fine is higher.

Exhaust too loud:
If you're car doesn't have primer on it and you're not trying to rev your car so everybody can hear it they don't really care. Falls under the "do I want to be a jerk" category.

They're all told me that as long as I'm not doing anything stupid and my registration/state inspection stickers are up to date most cops won't mess with me. Hopefully they didn't jinx me.
HAHA!

I don't have a speeding ticket, and unless caravaning I can be found with cruise control on in the right lane 90% of the time..

Front plate only tickets, 3 now. Pulled over 6 times now.

Tint violation tickets, 2 now. Pulled over 8 times now. ( I have a medical waiver to allow darker tint, so some don't bother and let me go, others measure and ticket or measure and warn me)

Exhaust (only in fairfax), I have been pulled over twice, but not ticketed.

odortiz
Thu, Dec-08-2005, 01:04:19 AM
yea, fairfax is the worst, hate living around here just cause of that
not me. i love feeling like a fugitive every time i see a cop. </sarcasm>

yuanren
Thu, Dec-08-2005, 01:45:46 PM
not me. i love feeling like a fugitive every time i see a cop. </sarcasm>

:rofl2: REBEL! :drive2:

Custom Performance
Fri, Dec-09-2005, 02:41:45 PM
I've been stopped one time here in Stafford. I told the cop that the bracket was on order and that I keep the front plate in the car and display it on the dash as needed. That's it.

travisbickle
Tue, Dec-20-2005, 02:02:32 PM
No they dont... You will get pulled over for not having a front plate in NoVa... Thats all the pigs around here look for is something trivial to pull you over for...

Werd...

One of the reasons I sold my Evo was that I was constantly being hassled for the exhaust. While my exhaust was "louder than stock" it wasn't louder than, say, a stock Mustang Cobra.

My M3 came with the front plate mount already drilled. While I think I could run around with it off, I put it back on. Having the front plate is one less bullsh1t excuse for the FFX Co. police to pull me over. :jerkit:

SMOK3
Tue, Dec-27-2005, 02:46:54 PM
I neatly attached mine to my front air vent Grill with Black Zip ties. Hardly noticeable because it sits deep under the bumper. It seats perfectly. Cops can still see it if in question, but I am not sure if it a camara can capture it... maybe, maybe not. I refuse to drill holes... I'll try and post a pic... but for some reason I am having issues with posting signatures...

Crosswire3
Sat, Jan-07-2006, 08:05:19 PM
I don't live in VA, Ohio actually, but have had my M3 for 2 days now and got a warning for no front plate. He said the only reason I got a warning is because my record is clean as can be. It was only my second time out, and the cop literally followed me around all day long; so I just kept the speed limit and drove like a grandma. This is going to get old really fast if I get crap. I'm sure the legal limit tint doesn't help much either.

curtisG
Sat, Jan-07-2006, 09:04:04 PM
Okay so I live in NoVa. My car did have a license plate holder installed by previous owner but I decided to remove it today.

So are there any ways to cover/plug the two drilled holes in the bumper that were left when I removed the license plate?

--curtis

Six
Sun, Jan-08-2006, 01:03:25 PM
Ive been with out front plates for 18 months no problems. From what I hear just stay away from parks and DC.

///M3Pilot19
Mon, Jan-09-2006, 12:03:35 AM
i just got ticketed a week and half ago for not having a front plate in Chantilly (over doing some work on my car at a friends). He pulled me over claiming I didn't come to a COMPLETE stop at a stop sign, which A. is untrue B. there's no way he could've judged that considering the circumstance. Once pulled over he went straight for the front of my car and asked where my front plate was, and I said thats the way I got the car from the guy I bought it from in MD. He asked where the other plate was and I said "in my garage." He then went to his car, took forever, and I knew he was writing me up for both.

I was so pissed waiting for him to come back, the second he handed me the clipboard, I looked him straight in the eyes and said "you know thats a FLIMSY ticket (complete stop one) and I can't wait to see you in court and beat it."

He then said ok smartguy how about I bring out my tint meter and I write you a ticket for illegal suspension (huh?) and your illegal wheels (?!?). I was like "yea go get your tint meter its 50% in the front and 35 in the rear. Have at it. And whats wrong with my wheels??" He replied "They're too big."

At this point I'm just laughing at this guy (who coincidentally is about my age) and I'm like whatever.. do what you gotta do :rofl2: He then I think realized how absurd he was behaving, and started being cooler about the whole thing, explaining that every time he writes warnings for no front plate he sees the (ricers, I'm sure) later without the plates on. He then tells me all I have to do is mount the plate however I want (I'm gonna use zip ties on the lower grille) and bring a pic to court they'll throw it out. And then it comes right off again. This was a Fairfax Cty cop btw.. without question the worst to deal with in NoVA. He knew he should've just given me a warning under the circumstances. Hopefully I can get the phantom stop ticket dismissed as well. What a hassle.

curtisG
Mon, Jan-09-2006, 12:27:49 AM
i just got ticketed a week and half ago ...
He then said "ok smartguy how about I bring out my tint meter and I write you a ticket for illegal suspension (huh?) and your illegal wheels (?!?). "

Are there laws in VA against lowered suspensions and/or oversized wheels? I've never heard of such a thing..

--curtis

Turbologist
Mon, Jan-09-2006, 02:12:41 AM
Are there laws in VA against lowered suspensions and/or oversized wheels? I've never heard of such a thing..

--curtis

The wheels can be as big as they want but if suspension is "altered" they can write you a ticket... Same goes for exhuast... Basically, they can write you a ticket for anything that isnt stock from the factory...

As with ///M3Pilot19's incident, they look for another reason to pull you over and then look over the entire car to see what infractions you have... After that, you're at their mercy...

Budman
Mon, Jan-09-2006, 12:53:12 PM
Werd...

One of the reasons I sold my Evo was that I was constantly being hassled for the exhaust. While my exhaust was "louder than stock" it wasn't louder than, say, a stock Mustang Cobra.

My M3 came with the front plate mount already drilled. While I think I could run around with it off, I put it back on. Having the front plate is one less bullsh1t excuse for the FFX Co. police to pull me over. :jerkit:

I hope I never have a problem with my exhaust.. so far so good.. I try not to run it too hard around cops..

yuanren
Mon, Jan-09-2006, 02:33:27 PM
Fcuk FFX county cops. They seriously got nothing better to do. I got pulled over like about 300 ft. from my house because I didn't use my turn signal. He said he thought i was drunk or something. He was just bored and wanted to do something. I didn't get any tickets but probably only cause it was at night and he didn't take a hard look at my car.

BMWPower06
Tue, Jan-10-2006, 03:15:54 PM
i dont have a front plate, my dad doesnt have a front plate, my sister doesnt have a front plate, my uncle doesnt have a front plate either and none of us have had any trouble. You'll be fine

SGM///M3
Fri, Jan-13-2006, 04:52:56 AM
When I decided to purchase my M in '04, the dealership did not have exactly what I was looking for, so they had to get one from another State. I asked my salesman to make sure he got the car from a State that did not require a front license plate. I said to him, "if that car comes in, and one of your prep guys drills holes in the bumper to put in the front plate bracket, I'm not taking the car." The car arrived, no holes, no problems (thankfully).

I've lived in VA for seven years and never had a front plate, and never had any problems. I'll take my chances.

///M3Pilot19
Fri, Jan-13-2006, 03:39:16 PM
When I decided to purchase my M in '04, the dealership did not have exactly what I was looking for, so they had to get one from another State. I asked my salesman to make sure he got the car from a State that did not require a front license plate. I said to him, "if that car comes in, and one of your prep guys drills holes in the bumper to put in the front plate bracket, I'm not taking the car." The car arrived, no holes, no problems (thankfully).

I've lived in VA for seven years and never had a front plate, and never had any problems. I'll take my chances.

yea, thats how i felt until I got pulled a few weeks back. I'm putting mine on for a quick pic and then taking it back off. F ffx county.