Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : Speedometer Calibration NEEDED

impulss
Wed, Oct-19-2005, 10:07:44 PM
I am looking for any recommendations on where to take my car for a speedometer calibration :nixweiss:

It is advisable for me to get it done before my upcoming ticket/trial.

Thanks!

jjeffreymay
Wed, Dec-07-2005, 10:51:14 PM
Where you able to find a place?

I am looking for any recommendations on where to take my car for a speedometer calibration :nixweiss:

It is advisable for me to get it done before my upcoming ticket/trial.

Thanks!

impulss
Thu, Dec-08-2005, 12:59:59 AM
Where you able to find a place?

A friend recommended a place in VA that does it, but it's all the way down in Woodbridge, VA. They charge $65.

I looked in the yellow pages under Speedometers and there was 1 listing and it was near me in Gaithersburg, MD. So I went there out of convenience and had to succk it up and pay their charge of $100 for it. It's just a speedo/odometer check, no repair or fix.

It's just a scam if you ask me. The dude drives my car "on a special route he takes" and comes back with a piece of paper saying it's accurate and all the speeds are correct at 25, 35, 45...75. He had something attached to the DME? computer port but nothing else attached to the car.

I didnt' really trust the dude with my car cuz the place looked like a dump, he was a little weird, and I didn't know where he's taking it for 20 mins.... I asked if I could ride with him and he said no.

Obviously, the car is accurate, there was nothign wrong, so I should have just told him to simply write me up a paper saying everything was accurate. :roll:

Phat Ham
Thu, Dec-08-2005, 05:25:42 AM
A friend recommended a place in VA that does it, but it's all the way down in Woodbridge, VA. They charge $65.

I looked in the yellow pages under Speedometers and there was 1 listing and it was near me in Gaithersburg, MD. So I went there out of convenience and had to succk it up and pay their charge of $100 for it. It's just a speedo/odometer check, no repair or fix.

It's just a scam if you ask me. The dude drives my car "on a special route he takes" and comes back with a piece of paper saying it's accurate and all the speeds are correct at 25, 35, 45...75. He had something attached to the DME? computer port but nothing else attached to the car.

I didnt' really trust the dude with my car cuz the place looked like a dump, he was a little weird, and I didn't know where he's taking it for 20 mins.... I asked if I could ride with him and he said no.

Obviously, the car is accurate, there was nothign wrong, so I should have just told him to simply write me up a paper saying everything was accurate. :roll: I'm willing to bet your speedo reads fast. BMW speedometers are notorious for reading faster than you're actually going. I got a reckless ticket in my 540 in '04 and took it to Curry's in Sterling to get a speedo accuracy test. They put it on the dyno and my speedo read about 5 mph fast at 55 mph. $100 to incriminate me even more.

Sorry I didn't see this thread earlier. I would've told you not to bother with the test and save your money for the fine. I know your lawyer probably told you to get it, but I'm also sure your lawyer doesn't know that all BMW speedos read fast.

Mpassioned
Thu, Dec-08-2005, 02:27:14 PM
I don't know exactly which wheel drives the speedo on the M, but your best bet is to put on a wheel that is several times larger in diameter than stock so the speedo reads slower than it actually is.
I forgot, where are you going to court. I know the judge in Leesburg will take mechanical into consideration, but if it's FFX, you may be screwed. I got off that way years ago, FWIW the state trooper told me to go have it checked, due to the fact the judge would consider this. Gotta love that, the trooper telling me how to beat it while he's handing me the ticket on Route 7. I took my slip into court and had the speeding ticket reduced to a mechanical infraction. Yee haw, NO POINTS!
I got my speedo calibration done in Fairfax off of Lee HWY btw the Parkway and Jermantown road. I think it was an AAMCO or Midas that is on the right as you are heading away from Centreville on 29. This was 8 years ago, so the bus. may have changed.
Good Luck Peter

impulss
Sat, Dec-10-2005, 12:12:57 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys..

The calibration is useless and was never even brought up in my case! I should have just skipped it.

flagger
Sun, Dec-11-2005, 03:57:59 AM
I talked to several different places in the NOVA area. Anyplace that has a chassis dyno can tell you what your "speedometer error" is; however, they won't do a calibration since they are not "certified" by the state to perform such services. Probably something like certifiying a gas pump delivers one gallon of gas as indicated on the meter.

GPS navigation will also provide pretty accurate speed reading. I've used Microsoft Streets and Trips w/GPS on my laptop in the car to provide speed. My speedometer reads about 4 miles per hour fast at 70, about 3 at 50. I'm running 19" OEMs.