Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : What performance mods can me done on a leased car?

nepsounds
Fri, Sep-09-2005, 10:18:53 AM
help? :nixweiss:

MegatronM3
Fri, Sep-09-2005, 10:50:36 AM
None really especially if you dont intend to keep it. I mean you can put mods on there but I'm sure you have to give it back stock.

laxplaya21
Fri, Sep-09-2005, 11:47:27 AM
help? :nixweiss:

Nothing permanent. You could do tires/rims, intake, exhaust, software, maybe some small cosmetic upgrades such as lights and matching reflectors and fog light covers. You can do suspension but this is more permanent and would be very costly. All of these mods except for lighting and cosmetics should be removed when returning the vehicle. Good luck!

Irrenarzt
Fri, Sep-09-2005, 12:02:57 PM
It's a lease, why even bother?

laxplaya21
Fri, Sep-09-2005, 01:29:25 PM
It's a lease, why even bother?

Well if the funds are a non issue, then why not? Even if you own the car, if you go to sell it most of the time you will strip aftermarket parts any way. So it doesn't really make a difference if its a lease or not, except if your doing major modifications. Which wouldnt be a good idea. My friend has a E500 on lease and he has done wheels, software, exhaust tips, body kit, and is now doing a navigation upgrade(not the screen just the unit in the back). You are still driving the car for 3-4 years, do what you want with it to get the most out of it :thumbsup: .

1airjordan23
Fri, Sep-09-2005, 02:40:25 PM
the only difference between lease and buy is that they usually inspect your car before giving it back to them..(tire tread, damage to car...)

in general, dont most of us get rid of cars every 2-4 years anyway..? its within the lease time frame....its just that with the lease you know the exact date of giving back the car, with a regular purchase its based on how you feel.

and when we sell the car, especially when its financed/bought, we still return most of it to stock and sell the aftermarket stuff seperatly....

if i were you, regardless of lease/buy, do the bolt ons, like the wheels/tires, exhaust, intake all that stuff, enjoy the car for 3 years...and a month before you give the car back return it to stock.

Beach_Bum
Fri, Sep-09-2005, 02:46:48 PM
You can do whatever you want as long as you turn it back to stock when you turn the car in.

Irrenarzt
Fri, Sep-09-2005, 02:56:18 PM
Which is my point. Why waste your money? You'll lose out big on the mods when you go to sell them.

People lease cars because they want a newer car that they could not normally afford the payments on. Skip the mods and save the money so that you can buy the car you want to mod in the future when you can afford to to so.

Hit_Apex
Fri, Sep-09-2005, 03:20:35 PM
Which is my point. Why waste your money? You'll lose out big on the mods when you go to sell them.

People lease cars because they want a newer car that they could not normally afford the payments on. Skip the mods and save the money so that you can buy the car you want to mod in the future when you can afford to to so.

Good point. If you can afford to mod you shouldn't lease unless you can write off the use in a business otherwise the numbers just don't work out in your favor.

laxplaya21
Fri, Sep-09-2005, 05:11:10 PM
I think a lot of people lease because they can continue to drive new cars without the hassle of having to deal with selling it at the end, or to have to deal with any maintenence.

Beach_Bum
Fri, Sep-09-2005, 05:14:24 PM

Like AirJordan said, even people who own the cars 9 times out of 10 return them to stock before selling them so your basically leasing the mods as well.

nepsounds
Sat, Sep-10-2005, 05:06:23 AM
Here is why i leased, i am on the list in Knoxville, TN for an 07 M3, so i leased an 05 ZCP waiting for the new 07, and its a business write off, but i still want to mod the car a little so atleast i can enjoy it.

UBER 3
Sat, Sep-10-2005, 03:35:00 PM

The real difference is in the down payment. To pay less than $1000 a month on a new purchase, you have to come up with $20k+ down. Who wants to tie up that much capital in a depreciating asset?

CinnaGrayVert
Sun, Oct-09-2005, 05:36:43 AM

\\

Is it really the majority consensus that people lease because they cant afford the monthly payment?

In the end we both have lost the same money, we both have either "lost" our mods(left them on the car,due to laziness) or we remove them and sell them. Six of one, half-dozen of another. I say if the mod will have a cash value after the car is gone, then go for it.
Shawn

cmdrstask
Sun, Oct-09-2005, 10:06:35 PM
The real difference is in the down payment. To pay less than $1000 a month on a new purchase, you have to come up with $20k+ down. Who wants to tie up that much capital in a depreciating asset?

I'm paying $904 with a $4k downpayment. Just about all options except ZCP and 19" wheels. It's all in how you negotiate and getting a good rate from the bank.