Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : For my Dad - U4EA

1999 Dinan M3
Mon, Jun-20-2005, 09:14:37 PM
My dad thinks he posted this here, but I searched for it and did not see.. this may be a regional things, but since it deals with the E30, I am starting it here. He bought some OEM key blanks that are steel if memory serves. When he took it to a locksmith to be cut, the locksmith laughed and said that no locksmith has the equipment to cut these keys as they are steel. He pointed him towards the stealership as they would be able to cut them. Does anybody know if the stealership is the only place to get OEM blanks cut? If not, anyone know of a place in Central NY (Syracuse area) that could cut them? Thank you in advance. :thumbsup:

Michelangelo
Mon, Jun-20-2005, 09:27:34 PM
Err... are you talking about the OEM uncut keys for E30? If so, then it's very strange, coz it's just a normal car key. Every locksmith should be able to perform the job within 3 min. I had my new ones (main and spare) cut at a locksmith in a supermarket within 5 min for US$4.00 only.

1999 Dinan M3
Mon, Jun-20-2005, 09:40:37 PM
Err... are you talking about the OEM uncut keys for E30? If so, then it's very strange, coz it's just a normal car key. Every locksmith should be able to perform the job within 3 min. I had my new ones (main and spare) cut at a locksmith in a supermarket within 5 min for US$4.00 only.
I'm just reiterating what he said.. these are supposedly harder than the standard keys..

Michelangelo
Mon, Jun-20-2005, 09:49:41 PM
Harder than standard key (those of home use locks)... maybe true, but still all locksmith should be able to get the job done in minutes.