Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : next mod

rsxsav69
Mon, May-16-2005, 08:31:08 PM
Fist off im posting for a freind.

my freind has a 89 M3 with a couple of upgrades such as front and rear strut bars, shocks and springs so the car handles very well which is the number one focus but now its time 2 do a little to the engine.

he was telling me about some type of CF airbox/maifold that also comes with an intake.

my question is what is the best intake system for the E30(gains wise) and a link would help also.

any input is great. thanks

Michelangelo
Mon, May-16-2005, 10:23:59 PM
The cheapest way to go is switch to Evolution II lower airbox with high-flow air filter (1989 is the time to split the vehicles which equipped with the Evolution II airbox or not. Also by meaning "1989" vehicles, it's kinda confusing coz manufacturers usually count vehicles released after August as next year model. So your friend'd better take a min or 2 to look at what airbox the car is equipped first. Also, BMW claimed that the Euro front tow hook covers could help generate low pressure zone behind the front bumper, which could increase the efficiency of sucking fresh air into the intake. Note that I'm talking about the Euro tow hook covers, not USA version, coz there're vents on the USA-version driver-side cover due to the different shape of air ramp of early-type lower airbox). So far I haven't seen any cone-type air filter with corresponding piping exclusively designed for E30 M3. You can make your own one though, definitely (like itg cone-type air filters are for custom fit purpose). For carbon fiber intake parts, the easiest way is from www.e30shop.de. However, (just personal opinion though), if your friend's gonna spend US$1500.00 on the carbon fiber intake only, why doesn't (s)he use that amount of money plus some more to restall the S14 with high cams and chip first?

Anyway, a nice DC5 in your post.

rsxsav69
Tue, May-17-2005, 03:51:23 AM
thanks thats my baby. do u know the conversion of EURO's to dollars? also is the alpha n worth it? is it just an unpgrade to the ecu to change the A/F and such? or how does that work? if anything looks like he will have 2 upgrade the TB to a 48MM first and then get the alpha N and air box(the version 2). cams and such are later down the line but he would like this as a good start.

for now the plan is to get sway bars(which do a lot) a good air intake, header and exhaust system and learn 2 drive the car better ;)

thanks again for your help

Michelangelo
Tue, May-17-2005, 07:35:42 AM
1. Check Yahoo for currency exchange rate.

2. Oops! I suddenly forget what Alpha N is... (I'm still kinda new about E30 M3. If you're talking about FC3S, I'll know a bit more :chair: )

3. If your friend decides to go for any high cam higher than Evolution II set, then larger air-flow meter is essential to bring out the full potential of the mod (especially the Schrick hot cam. But usually when you have time and plan to do the cam, most likely, but not necessary, you'll also do the 2.5L conversion at the same time).

4. Earlier a guy on this forum suggested me to get Vintage Sports & Racing (VSR) exhaust pipe since it has been proved for horsepower gain, as well as CA smog legal. For muffler, I think either Supersprint or Borla would be fine.

5. I'm currently using itg replacement air filter on my E30 M3. Compared with my past experience of using K&N replacement air filters on other cars, I would say itg is a bit louder, and the pitch of sound is also higher than K&N. Anyway, the S14 motor is not quiet, so who care about the sound when the air filter is breathing? In general, both itg and K&N feel pretty much the same (and both can't do too much either coz they're only replacement air filters, but at least they fit my requirement, as a poor university student :p).

6. I'm also saving money for a computer chip (and might get the Evolution II cam set when I do the engine gasket job later. Why only Evolution II cam set? Coz I don't plan to have 2.5L conversion). Anyway, I'm currently testing both 15" or 16" rims with 205 and 225 tire width for faster speed pick up (coz the previous owner put a set of 17" copy cat of BBS, damn heavy >_<)

Thull
Tue, May-17-2005, 09:20:46 AM
2. Oops! I suddenly forget what Alpha N is... (I'm still kinda new about E30 M3. If you're talking about FC3S, I'll know a bit more :chair: )

3. If your friend decides to go for any high cam higher than Evolution II set, then larger air-flow meter is essential to bring out the full potential of the mod (especially the Schrick hot cam. But usually when you have time and plan to do the cam, most likely, but not necessary, you'll also do the 2.5L conversion at the same time).

The whole point of Alpha-N is to remove the barn-door style air-flow meters. You can run an unrestricted MAXX system without the high-dollar CF parts and still triple the amount of air getting to the engine. It is essentially a piggyback computer that measures throttle-position and air-density to replace the AFM signal, allowing you to ditch the restrictive and unresponsive AFM.

I would say run a hot cam too, I have 284/276 on my 2.5 and it is perfectly streetable and much faster. I may even go with a hotter cam if I cave in and get the MAXX system.

jtappan
Tue, May-24-2005, 01:06:27 AM
for now the plan is to get sway bars(which do a lot) a good air intake, header and exhaust system and learn 2 drive the car better ;)

Without cams, headwork, and a 2.5 rebuild the Alpha N + Carbon Air box is just eye candy. If it even makes any power it will be neglibile without first increasing the engines ability to flow more air. This is also true of the header.

When doing the sways make sure you get the 22mm front/19mm rear bars and you will hear this alot "while you are in there" you might as well reinforce the factory mounting points. If you don't do it now and you drive the car aggressively you will eventually rip the factory mounts and then it is a big PIA to fix. I think the Suspension Techniques kit comes with all of the necessary reinforcement pieces.