Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : swapping the s14...

dub-ghord
Mon, Apr-18-2005, 04:31:45 PM
i was wondering if it would be a smart move to swap out the s14 and put in a newer, say 95-96 m3 engine into the e30 m3? ive heard that it would destroy the handling of the e30, yet ive also heard it would be a smart move and wouldnt hurt much, but increase speed and hp of course. so what would yall do? if you had the money and time, would you swap in a newer m3 engine (and turbo that)... help me out here. and please dont flame me for thinking about this... cuz ive seen other people do it!

Z Driver
Mon, Apr-18-2005, 04:38:35 PM
I saw one when I went to a track day at Gingerman. That car was so fast. The handling was not harmed, trust me.

gobuffs
Tue, Apr-19-2005, 12:32:44 AM
It is your car do what you want, but realize there are people out there that feel you will bastardize the car. They have a point...a regular E30 would be just as good of a candidate to do this to.

That being said...I am a bit biased...I am putting a Euro 3.2 in one to make in a C Mod race car.

balu
Tue, Apr-19-2005, 04:21:27 AM
The e30 m3 is an e30 m3 with the original engine,on the other hand I would probably go for it too,or put the 2.5 liter stroker kit on the car.(Had the car but not enough money to go trough with the swap)
But if you do decide to do a swap,do one that will keep it a "real M///" put the euro 3.2 in it or put the engine in from a e34 M5 a lot of people done it in europe and than you talking a killer car.
The wieght difference is not that big there is a website that lists all the bmw engines with their weight.You can compensate for it by swapping to a CF hood and fenders if you think it`s needed to help the handleing.

Evolution
Tue, Apr-19-2005, 11:07:05 AM
Like Gobuffs said there will be people out there that feel you have bastardize the car. But then again opinions are like as%$&^s, Every one has one!. So if its somthing you realy wont to do, And have thought it through, Have the spare cash, Then why not??, Go for it. It would be one hell of a car, And I think one would enjoy taking on the project, I know I would. But if you do do it, You will have to keep us posted on how your getting on with pics.
Good Luck

Michelangelo
Tue, Apr-19-2005, 02:59:18 PM
Just one thing for your project: Either don't make it, or make it well done!

chimp
Thu, May-05-2005, 10:48:59 AM
Do what u'll enjoy...

jtappan
Tue, May-24-2005, 01:28:05 AM
Honesty, if that was my objective e36 m3 motor, turbo, etc... I would do what BMP did with their project E30. Sell the E30 M3 to pay for the project and buy a beater E30 325 2 door. Build that up with E36 M3 motor, paint, wheels, fender flares, tranny, etc... That thing was incredible.

If you do decide to swap the motor on the M3 just be sure that you want to keep it, because your resale value will take a huge hit.

gobuffs
Tue, May-24-2005, 02:48:45 AM
I disagree on it taking a hit on resale. There are SOOOO many people asking about converting there has to be a market.

The Real M3
Thu, Jun-02-2005, 04:50:42 PM
I would still keep the Original S14 in it because it keeps the car Original, and worth more in value

jtappan
Wed, Jul-20-2005, 06:24:42 AM
I disagree on it taking a hit on resale. There are SOOOO many people asking about converting there has to be a market.

SOOO many people asking about this kind of swap doesn't amount to anyone willing to pay 20k for a franken car. Ask the guy in Arizona who did this and tried to sell his car for over a year. Hypothetically speaking if the car was worth 15k today and he spent 8k+ on the swap I doubt anyone would step up for even 15k let alone over 20 to buy it.

My only point was that one of the reasons that the E30 M3 still has decent residual value is because of the history of the car and the relatively small numbers of them still around. Now if you remove the motor you take away the major reason why it is appealing to those people who are willing to pay top dollar for one of these cars.

I was simply suggesting that an E30 325is might be a more suitable platform for this kind of effort.

maxfield
Wed, Jul-20-2005, 03:31:38 PM
keep the s14 and modify the egine to get the same amount of hp as you would on an s50 engine