Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : E30 M3 Search... Frustration

GoKuA
Thu, Apr-07-2005, 12:50:50 AM
The more I look at the E30 M3, the more it grow on me. That's why I have been looking for a clean E30 M3 w/ decent mileage around my area. After 4 months of searching and still found nothing. Knowing that you guys probably bought your M3s used since the car is quite old now, I want to ask you guys how did you find your M3? What is the best way to find a clean E30 M3 around my area? Please suggest and thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

gobuffs
Thu, Apr-07-2005, 04:11:25 AM
You really need to expand your search area. Limiting yourself to your area (even though the area is car rich) is a mistake for a limited car as an E30 M3.

I finally sold mine with an ad on autotrader. The best places to find them for sale is s14.net and roadfly. You might also check the classifieds on your local chpater's website.

HTH.

Michelangelo
Thu, Apr-07-2005, 04:32:50 AM
I'm in Los Angeles too. I was lucky I got mine by searching AutoTrader too right after my FC3S was stolen at UCLA last summer (should I say unlucky instead? My previous car got stolen!). Surprisingly, Recycler.com generally doesn't have E30 M3 ad. Also ads of E30 M3 for sale seem appear/disappear together periodically. However, the period may as long as several months. So... good luck! (If my memory is correct, there're totally 4996 units of US version made back to late 80's to very early 90's, also less than 19000 units ever built all around the world. So, really, really I wish you luck!)

GoKuA
Thu, Apr-07-2005, 06:32:07 AM
Thanks guys for the comments.

Also one more question, does the S14 engine last long? I often see cars are like over 150k of mileage, some are even over 200k mileage. So my question is, is the engine reliable?

gobuffs
Thu, Apr-07-2005, 12:56:38 PM
The engines needs to be current on routine items and it will last a long time...a neglected engine is not a good thing b/c once they go they are expensive to fix. OTOH even a well cared for engine an fail. Preventative bearing replacement is one thing that can be done.

Michelangelo
Thu, Apr-07-2005, 03:09:20 PM
Yup. S14 is very durable as the fact that it was intended to use for racing (and don't tell me that you can have even more severe driving condition to the motor for daily routine than DTM). Mine gradually consumes a bit oil, I need to add about 1 pint for every 300 miles run (I always keep high rpm, so the problem might not be such serious if I drive it more gently. I know I should have it rebuilt, but I just don't have the time and money currently. Also I find that a bit more oil over the top mark of the dipstick the motor runs the best, but JUST A BIT more is enough). Except for the "quietness" and the oil consuming problem, in general my over-180000-mile heart is still pretty strong, especially after 4000rpm. Regularly checking those small stuffs is a good 1st step for keeping an E30 M3 running long life.

GoKuA
Thu, Apr-07-2005, 05:53:23 PM
Great info... thanks a lot guys.
Now it's time for my e30 hunt :beer:

czm3
Sat, Apr-09-2005, 01:34:02 PM
good luck GoKuA,

I felt simularly as you do. I found my dream e30 and payed for it. I searched ebay to no avail, and all the other cars I was finding did not meet my ideals of a perfect e30. It is not an easy car to find, however it takes a certain owner to have one. Search, talk to people, follow up leads. It will be a quest, but if you are truly motivated, you will find that rare, perfect car, that will make your dreams come true.

GoKuA
Sun, Apr-10-2005, 08:15:24 PM
good luck GoKuA,

I felt simularly as you do. I found my dream e30 and payed for it. I searched ebay to no avail, and all the other cars I was finding did not meet my ideals of a perfect e30. It is not an easy car to find, however it takes a certain owner to have one. Search, talk to people, follow up leads. It will be a quest, but if you are truly motivated, you will find that rare, perfect car, that will make your dreams come true.

Thanks! :thumbsup:
By the way, your car is clean... can you post more pictures of it? :wave:

czm3
Mon, Apr-11-2005, 08:31:54 PM
Thanks! :thumbsup:
By the way, your car is clean... can you post more pictures of it? :wave:

I will soon. However, I dont have any right now. The car is sitting in my garage, waiting for plates and the season to start. As soon as all the sand is off the roads, I promise to take pics.

shp1124
Tue, Apr-12-2005, 04:07:01 AM
well i know a guy at my school who has an extremely clean e30 m3 black with the flag decal which is black on the front looks extremely clean and is prob well kept since his dad owns a garage. but i live in jersey haha so i couldnt be any farther in the country sorry

GraemeD
Sun, May-08-2005, 01:02:43 AM
I just found mine by looking in the papers every day.
I got lucky and found it in Colorado Springs, less than a 2 hour drive. I went down that morning and looked at it, drove it, bought it! in the intrest of car values I paid $8500 for it with 140,000 miles.
It needs a few things but nothing major.

Graeme
Arvada,CO

chimp
Thu, May-12-2005, 10:22:51 AM
S14 reliability all depends on the previous owner, I've had mine since '94 w/ 40k miles so i know how i have maintained it since. Currently, many are now 3rd, 4th or even 5th owners so it depends on how well the car has been maintained previously by a string of other owners...some were tracked, abused, neglected, babied...who knows..I have, so far, 171K worry free miles with only basic maint$$$...

jtappan
Tue, May-24-2005, 12:36:30 AM
Great info... thanks a lot guys.
Now it's time for my e30 hunt :beer:

Best of luck to you, it is truly a quest. They are not easy to find, expecially 'good' ones. Learn as much as you can about them before you buy one. s14.net is a great resource for these cars. Become familiar with the $15k rule (which basically states you will pay $15k for an E30 M3 one way or the other). I think with the current prices of these cars and parts they may need to rename it the 18 to 20k rule.

The s14 is a solid race built motor, however, it requires periodic maintenance like any engine. Like anything the better you take care of it the longer it will last, which is why it is so important to demand and inspect the receipts for all of the maintenance performed on the car. I would walk away from any car no matter how good it 'looked' without a well documented history.

Don't get me wrong I love these cars, but they are not for everyone. Be educated about it before you buy one and you won't have any $urprises.

jtappan
Tue, May-24-2005, 12:39:35 AM
It needs a few things but nothing major.

Fingers firmly crossed.

Welcome to the addiction. :beer:

GraemeD
Sat, May-28-2005, 03:39:37 PM
Fingers firmly crossed.

So far on my M3
Cruse not working- readjusted clutch switch
Sunroof won't close- replaced switch
coolant smell when heater on- Heater core replacment
AC has no refrigerant, need to leak check
needs new leather & interior ( Okay for now but maybe next year)

Preventive Maintenance
oil & filter change
replaced fuel filter
replaced air filter
Replaced all coolant hoses & Tank (did not like the yellowed color)
Removed Throttle bodies to check intake manf leaks. (still waiting on seals from BMW)
replaced various plastic trim parts

I am just getting started. This is going to be a fun car for me as I can do all the work myself. After a few years racing shifter karts (money pit!) this will at least give some value for my investment. The car is a blast to drive and getts much better milage than my truck. I have lots of plans for this car.

Now does anyone know where I can pick up a used valve/cam tool to change out the shims?

GraemeD

GraemeD
Sat, May-28-2005, 03:42:23 PM
Fingers firmly crossed.

who made your supercharger? and do you have any photos of the instalation?

GraemeD

jtappan
Tue, May-31-2005, 08:12:19 PM
who made your supercharger? and do you have any photos of the instalation?

GraemeD

The kit was made by European Race Technologies (ERT). I am not sure if they are even in business anymore. The previous owner paid $6k for the kit plus installation and I have spent another ~$2k in dyno tuning to dial the car in and fix the problems with ERT's design. The result is a car that reliably puts down anywhere from 238-251 RWHP depending on ambient conditions with stock 2.3 internals. That is on a Mustang dyno. Stuart Schatz (Schatz & Krum) has done all of the work, so I take no credit other than signing the checks.

Ironically, I am probably going to sell off the whole kit (custom tuned eprom and all) later this summer (august or september). I am just getting started on building a ~$15k 2.5 NA motor for the car, so I am going to keep my existing S14 for a spare, but off the supercharger.

jtappan
Tue, May-31-2005, 08:20:33 PM
and do you have any photos of the instalation?

GraemeD

Sorry forgot to post the part about the photos... There are pictures of the car all over the Internet, but here are a couple that I am aware of:

http://www.samoc.org/members/tappan/default.htm
http://www.motoyen.com/cotm/tappan/

itsme
Thu, Jun-30-2005, 01:07:35 AM
The more I look at the E30 M3, the more it grow on me. That's why I have been looking for a clean E30 M3 w/ decent mileage around my area. After 4 months of searching and still found nothing. Knowing that you guys probably bought your M3s used since the car is quite old now, I want to ask you guys how did you find your M3? What is the best way to find a clean E30 M3 around my area? Please suggest and thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

Gokua i've been looking around for one too just to see if my pockets were deep enough and it isn't. I found this one for sale in your area sounds nice but go check it out. Go Here (http://www.roadfly.com/bmw/classifieds/cars/detview.php?view=31856&sortby=&dir=)

Good luck with your search :beer:

GoKuA
Thu, Aug-04-2005, 06:43:01 AM
Gokua i've been looking around for one too just to see if my pockets were deep enough and it isn't. I found this one for sale in your area sounds nice but go check it out. Go Here (http://www.roadfly.com/bmw/classifieds/cars/detview.php?view=31856&sortby=&dir=)

Good luck with your search :beer:

Thanks.... I guess I checked it too late, it's gone already. But, anymore of them? I'm ready to seal the deal if there is a clean one. :thumbsup:

SCA
Mon, Aug-08-2005, 06:58:04 PM
There is a good Q&A in the Tech Talk section of the August 2005 Roundel (BMW CCA monthly magazine). Page 122, 'Scoping the E30 M3'

It is estimated that there are around 1,000 working street examples of the E30 me left in the US (only 5,000 imported). Of those 50% need to be completely restored, 25% are drivers and the last 25% are well-sorted out, well-maintained, owned by-loving owners.

Majority of these loving owners will have to have the keys pried from their dead hands. To acquire a pristine E30 M3 you will have to pay a premium. Speaking from experience.

puma1824
Tue, Aug-09-2005, 01:31:52 PM
There is a good Q&A in the Tech Talk section of the August 2005 Roundel (BMW CCA monthly magazine). Page 122, 'Scoping the E30 M3'

It is estimated that there are around 1,000 working street examples of the E30 me left in the US (only 5,000 imported). Of those 50% need to be completely restored, 25% are drivers and the last 25% are well-sorted out, well-maintained, owned by-loving owners.

Majority of these loving owners will have to have the keys pried from their dead hands. To acquire a pristine E30 M3 you will have to pay a premium. Speaking from experience.

I just missed a clean e30 M3 by one day! :( Oh yeah, I'm new to the forum and began researching/looking for an e30 M3. Where can I pick up the Aug 05 Roundel? What should the "average" price be for a clean e30 M3? How about a modified?

Anyone want to trade for a 1991 Porsche 911 (964) C4? -I'm only 50% sure I'd like to do it. :nixweiss: