Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : Reprogramming factory keyless entry (1996+ and on)

emfollin
Sun, Feb-20-2005, 05:44:14 PM
Someone on here started posting on how to reprogram the keyless entry but he didn't finish. How do you reprogram it? I bought the car with the keyless entry inopt. The light flashes on the fob but it does not unlock the doors.

Sirius
Sun, Feb-20-2005, 07:01:59 PM
(This is for the 96+ alarms)

Straight out of the book:

Preparation
1. Close all doors, trunk, and hood.
2. The security system must be in 'disarm' mode. The key must be removed from the ignition key slot.

Enter Code-Learning Mode
3. Open the trunk and leave it open
4. Open the driver's door and sit in the driver's seat.
5. Close the driver's door.
6. Cycle the ignition switch five times between the 'OFF' position and position 2, (ignition 'ON', all dash warning lamps will illuminate). The red status LED will illuminate continuously, and the siren will 'chirp' once, to indicate that the code-learning mode has been initated.

Do not start the engine.
The ignition switch cycling in step #6 must be preformed within 45 seconds.

Register/Delete ID Code(s)
7. Open the driver's door, (remain seated in driver's seat).
8. Close driver's door.
9. Press and release any button on the remote you wish to register into the system. The status LED will shut off momentarily to indicate that one ID code has been registered.
10. Repeat steps 7 through 9 to register the remaining three ID codes.

It is possible for the system to memorize a total of four different ID codes. As a new code is initalized into memory, the oldest code in memory is automattically deleted. If you had lost your remotes and wished to delete the lost remote ID codes from memory, you could initialize the ID code from a newly purchased replacement transmitter four times thereby deleteing the previous ID codes from system memory.

Exiting Code-Learning mode
11. Open driver's door, and exit from vehicle, leaving the door open.
12. Close trunk.
13. Close driver's door. The LED will turn off and the siren will 'chirp' twice.
14. The initalization procedure is now completed; test all remotes to confirm operation.

DOUGYKIM
Sun, Feb-20-2005, 07:25:08 PM
Related question:

Is there a way to program the alarm system to flash parking lights upon arming/disarming. My alarm only chirps, but does not flash parking lights...only the litle red led on the remote.

Thanks.

Sirius
Sun, Feb-20-2005, 08:34:50 PM
No, that option is not available on the OEM alarm for the E36.

DOUGYKIM
Sun, Feb-20-2005, 08:38:39 PM
Darn...thanks for the reply.

emfollin
Sun, Feb-20-2005, 09:01:40 PM
This didn't work for me, I have a '97 with the alarm. The alarm works from the remote, If I hit and hold the lock button, the alarm goes off in panic mode but the door still do not lock or unlock. When I was entering the code-learning mode, I did not hear the siren chirp once.

Sirius
Sun, Feb-20-2005, 10:34:08 PM
I always found programming the remote to be the most tricky thing to get done.

Sometimes I had to turn the key on/off more than 5 times, but it did it after a few tries.

emfollin
Sun, Feb-20-2005, 10:38:47 PM
Alright, and after you do that, you open the door, shut the door and hit one of the 2 buttons, open the door, shut the door and hit the other button on the remote fob?

Sirius
Sun, Feb-20-2005, 10:57:59 PM
Once you enter the programming mode.. you do all this, for each key fob.

Register/Delete ID Code(s)
7. Open the driver's door, (remain seated in driver's seat).
8. Close driver's door.
9. Press and release any button on the remote you wish to register into the system. The status LED will shut off momentarily to indicate that one ID code has been registered.
10. Repeat steps 7 through 9 to register the remaining three ID codes.

So, once you have one key fob programmed, open/close drivers door, hit button on other key fob.. repeat for each fob.

emfollin
Sun, Feb-20-2005, 11:11:46 PM
Oh, alright gotcha...I only have one key fob..so after I've done it once, then get out, shut trunk and then shut door....one more question, is the siren chirp like immediate after doing it the 5 times and do I leave the key in the ON position while registering the ID code?

Sirius
Sun, Feb-20-2005, 11:13:16 PM
The chirp should be right as it enters programming mode. The key has to stay in the 'on' position because the car has to provide power to the control module...

emfollin
Mon, Feb-21-2005, 02:19:42 AM
Alright, I got the car to go into programming mode and the red light on the remote lit up when I hit the button on the remote but the LED on the console didn't go out like the instructions said it would. I tried it 3 times but the remote won't program. Each time I finished the procedure and went to hit the button, it did nothing.

Sirius
Mon, Feb-21-2005, 03:41:21 AM
Hmm. Could be a few things wrong, battery in the remote may be weak, remote may be defective, alarm control module may be defective.

emfollin
Mon, Feb-21-2005, 03:43:38 AM
after hitting the button a few times trying to get it to work, the red button did kind of dim and not light up. I'll try the battery.

Sirius
Tue, Feb-22-2005, 12:36:21 AM
I am going to move this to the FAQ area because this is probably the third time I have typed these directions out now.

lcjhnsn
Tue, Feb-22-2005, 02:00:31 AM
If you want to try some DIY wiring, Ron Stygar has an article explaining how to make the hazard lights flash when arming and disarming the alarm. It involves wiring in a relay to provide a momentary ground to the hazard lights triggered off the power to the alarm siren.

URL is http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e36/alarm/e36_flash_hazard_lights_with_factory_alarm.html

Good Luck
lmj

Related question:

Is there a way to program the alarm system to flash parking lights upon arming/disarming. My alarm only chirps, but does not flash parking lights...only the litle red led on the remote.

Thanks.

emfollin
Tue, Feb-22-2005, 03:43:25 AM
Alright I found out what the problem was. The sensor on the hood wasn't touching so it wouldn't lock doors. Is the alarm supposed to chirp when you arm/disarm the alarm?

Sirius
Tue, Feb-22-2005, 03:52:49 PM
You can disable/enable the chirp, hold down the lock and unlock buttons at the same time on the remote for a few seconds to disable/enable the chirp.

robbiesam
Tue, Jun-25-2013, 04:57:26 AM
this is the most ridiculous solution but i know y'all are serious, but it didn't work for me, now my mechanic says I need a new hood switch becasue of a "fault in arming alarm", but alarm works, i just can't get fobs to lock/unlock.
I love this car but it is killing me !