Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : Need Help..For..Ultimate Track Day

DR.ACEM3
Sat, Feb-19-2005, 02:17:02 PM
Hello guys .....you have been always a great help for me .......now i really need your help.......I will be attending a car challenge in BIC (Bahrain International Circuit)....there will be 3 challenges:
1: Auto cross
2: Drag
3: The international track

Now...... you can see my car specs down there.....I need a help on wht type of tires should i have :banghead: I have 275/30 19 rosso sport pirillies.......I used those the last time I went to that track with more than 2000 km on them......they were not bad........but what I need to know now is :
1:Shell I buy the same tires again or shell I buy michelin pilot sport cup 265/30 19?
2:What tire pressure shell i have for the Rossos for 3 events I have, specially the drag and track events?

Please help help help i need you suggestions :nixweiss:

spartacus700
Sat, Feb-19-2005, 02:34:21 PM
How abut a roll cage ?

Hello guys .....you have been always a great help for me .......now i really need your help.......I will be attending a car challenge in BIC (Bahrain International Circuit)....there will be 3 challenges:
1: Auto cross
2: Drag
3: The international track

Now...... you can see my car specs down there.....I need a help on wht type of tires should i have :banghead: I have 275/30 19 rosso sport pirillies.......I used those the last time I went to that track with more than 2000 km on them......they were not bad........but what I need to know now is :
1:Shell I buy the same tires again or shell I buy michelin pilot sport cup 265/30 19?
2:What tire pressure shell i have for the Rossos for 3 events I have, specially the drag and track events?

Please help help help i need you suggestions :nixweiss:

DR.ACEM3
Sat, Feb-19-2005, 03:49:52 PM
How abut a roll cage ?
That is on the way.....how about the tires????

Beowoulf
Sat, Feb-19-2005, 07:21:34 PM
It kind of depends on your driving skills. The cups are fine for the track but you have to get the temp up or they will not work well. If you are seriours about tracking the car then invest in some light 18" wheels and some track tires. As far as pressure is concerned, I would start with about 35 all around for the track and adjust from there. For the drag portion you want the rears lower and the fronts as high as possible. There is no one tire pressure that will work for all 3 events.

DR.ACEM3
Sat, Feb-19-2005, 10:57:40 PM
It kind of depends on your driving skills. The cups are fine for the track but you have to get the temp up or they will not work well. If you are seriours about tracking the car then invest in some light 18" wheels and some track tires. As far as pressure is concerned, I would start with about 35 all around for the track and adjust from there. For the drag portion you want the rears lower and the fronts as high as possible. There is no one tire pressure that will work for all 3 events.
Thanks Bro. for that information.

Regarding the Drag, how low shell the rear tire pressure be for the 275/30 and 265/30??

and yah in the auto cross event I will be using hand breaking, will that affect the cups? the auto cross will be just before the Drag, will that be enough to warm up the tires??

PEACE

Fly'n DuthhMan
Sun, Feb-20-2005, 04:46:03 AM
I would get some Hoosier autocross tires, then switch to their roadrace compound for the big track, they work very well for the first six to ten heat cycles and then start to fall off. They are also a very light tire.

You can order Hoosiers from www.tirerack.com also Toyo makes a good track tire, it isn't as stick as the hoosier, but it lasts longer.

For the drag race you'll need some really soft sidewall drag racing tires on the back only...BFGoodrich makes what is called a "cheater slick" its a really soft compound soft sideway tire that looks like a street tire with tread. FOr this part only put about 20psi in the rears and pump the front way up to reduce the contact patch and rolling resistance. You should be able to drop the clutch and get a good dig off the line. tirerack should also have these tires otherwise try www.summitraicing.com

If you really want to do it right, go out the night before to the track and pour Dr Pepper soda on the ground only in your lane about 30 feet out and let it dry...it will make a stick mess. Then you use this compound/liquid called VHT, you can get that from summitracing.com, you put it on your the drag tires before hand and it softens the rubber even more. Then before you race do a long burn out to warm up the tires and lay down two stripes of rubber. Back the car up carefully right onto those stripes, that area where the fresh rubber is has the most traction, the rubber on the ground stick nicely with the rubber on the tire. You want to launch your car right on the same path you did the burnout on.

This sounds like a lot of work, but you get good consistency this way.

I don't know if using the handbrake is the fastest way around the autocross track?

Fly'n DuthhMan
Sun, Feb-20-2005, 04:52:44 AM
Here's a link... http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/bfgapp/catalog/tires/gforcetadragradial.jsp

Oh and if you have a links to videos of those crazy arab sand dune hill climb races with the souped up toyota land cruisers send us a link... or the crazy street racing and two wheel stunt driving out there in the middle east... you guys are nuts out there...and don't forget to take lots of pictures at your event.

bren
Sun, Feb-20-2005, 05:09:18 AM
...and yah in the auto cross event I will be using hand breaking [sic]....
What? Why would you ever use the hand brake in an autox? That couldn't be more wrong.

If you have to run only one set of tires I would consider the Toyo RA1. They will work very well on the track/autox and most definitely will hook up better than the Hoosier slicks for the drag.

DR.ACEM3
Sun, Feb-20-2005, 12:32:59 PM
I would get some Hoosier autocross tires, then switch to their roadrace compound for the big track, they work very well for the first six to ten heat cycles and then start to fall off. They are also a very light tire.

You can order Hoosiers from www.tirerack.com also Toyo makes a good track tire, it isn't as stick as the hoosier, but it lasts longer.

For the drag race you'll need some really soft sidewall drag racing tires on the back only...BFGoodrich makes what is called a "cheater slick" its a really soft compound soft sideway tire that looks like a street tire with tread. FOr this part only put about 20psi in the rears and pump the front way up to reduce the contact patch and rolling resistance. You should be able to drop the clutch and get a good dig off the line. tirerack should also have these tires otherwise try www.summitraicing.com

If you really want to do it right, go out the night before to the track and pour Dr Pepper soda on the ground only in your lane about 30 feet out and let it dry...it will make a stick mess. Then you use this compound/liquid called VHT, you can get that from summitracing.com, you put it on your the drag tires before hand and it softens the rubber even more. Then before you race do a long burn out to warm up the tires and lay down two stripes of rubber. Back the car up carefully right onto those stripes, that area where the fresh rubber is has the most traction, the rubber on the ground stick nicely with the rubber on the tire. You want to launch your car right on the same path you did the burnout on.

This sounds like a lot of work, but you get good consistency this way.

I don't know if using the handbrake is the fastest way around the autocross track?

There wont be burnout in water or drag bite material :nixweiss: ......they said there wont be enough time for all the cars and they want it standerdized?? :banghead: .......so the thing is the event is on march 12 (no time to bring orders from the state even by DHL).........and yah.......the thing will be 2 auto cross rounds then the drag just after..........!!

Regarding the auto cross ......there are 360 circles and 180 curves......believe you me i tried all the ways for better timing on auto cross but hand breaking is the best.......Rules of the race is not to change tires in between events.......

so what is it to be 1:cup michilen 2:ps2 michilen 3:rosso perillies or any other type of michilen or perilli????

PEACE AND THANKS BRO.

DR.ACEM3
Sun, Feb-20-2005, 01:32:03 PM
What? Why would you ever use the hand brake in an autox? That couldn't be more wrong.

If you have to run only one set of tires I would consider the Toyo RA1. They will work very well on the track/autox and most definitely will hook up better than the Hoosier slicks for the drag.
Regarding the auto cross ......there are 360 circles and 180 curves......believe you me i tried all the ways for better timing on auto cross but hand breaking is the best....