Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : e46m3--->e30m3 Will I be dissapointed?

fmk
Mon, Feb-07-2005, 04:35:10 PM
Whats up all you e30 owners. I usually post over in the e46 forum but lately Ive been thinkin about getting rid of the e46 and seeing if I can pick up an e30m3. Im not well versed when it comes to e30s.. but I think they are the illest of the bunch. I love the boxed out styling and that classic M look. Will i be dissapointed if I switched to an e30? The e46 is fun but I want that go-kart feel that only the e30 provides.. (in my opinion)

What do you guys think? Make the switch?

:bow: ----> e30M3 owners

Thanks

Thull
Mon, Feb-07-2005, 05:13:32 PM
Of course you will miss the refinement, luxury, and speed that the e46 provides, but the e30 truly will give the "go-cart" feeling and feedback you are looking for, it is what the e30s are all about.

Do you have another car that you are using as a daily driver?

Michelangelo
Mon, Feb-07-2005, 06:43:33 PM
They are just too different. For E46 M3, it's (relatively) too easy to go fast, while one's skill is a dominant factor to make an stock E30 M3 go fast. Also, as what Thull says, from luxury to raw, from smooth to rough, from heavy to lightweight, from electronic to mechanical, from (relatively) quiet to loud, from the car drives you to you drives the car and so forth, from more girls admire you to more girls leave away from you (MOST LIKELY girls will say E46 looks much better than E30) and so forth. It totally depends on what aspects you evaluate more than the others. Pick your choice accordingly.

jtappan
Tue, Feb-15-2005, 04:35:59 AM
They are just too different. For E46 M3, it's (relatively) too easy to go fast, while one's skill is a dominant factor to make an stock E30 M3 go fast. Also, as what Thull says, from luxury to raw, from smooth to rough, from heavy to lightweight, from electronic to mechanical, from (relatively) quiet to loud, from the car drives you to you drives the car and so forth, from more girls admire you to more girls leave away from you (MOST LIKELY girls will say E46 looks much better than E30) and so forth. It totally depends on what aspects you evaluate more than the others. Pick your choice accordingly.

Ditto... They are so different that a comparison doesn't really exist. Oh and the E30's are so old now that parts are cheap.... :rofl2:

Predator
Fri, Mar-04-2005, 03:46:18 PM
sorry for the late reply but i didn't check this forum for a while.

I have all three generations of M3's and i enjoy all of them for what they are.

FMK i see it like this, there are 2 types of M3 owners for the sake of my argument.

1 the entusiast who loves everything M power and is all for drivers cars, it didn't matter if there was a wheel and one seat and wires to start the car, aslong as the feeling of driving was pure that was all that mattered.

and the other

loves top of the range ****, thus he buys a M3 only knowing that it blitzes most other cars in its class and is the best of the breed, it has all the toys electric vibrator, a toilet and a deep fat fryer. Also most likey this owner couldn't take a dead tortoise in a funeral hearse.

The E30 M3 is a better communicator and exhilirating drive than the e46 M3. You'll notice when you sit in an a E30 there is just the dials, steering wheel and the gearlever which feels as though it wants to be shifted as hard and precise as possible. When you sit in an E30, i feel as though i'm sitting ready to go to war, my position in the cockpit is like im ready to attack the tarmac, even if i did not want to drive sitting in the drivers seatmakes you wanna drive .

Sure i sit in near enough the same position in my E46 CSL but that is a differnt beast to the E46 M3. In my sisters E46 M3 i sit comfortably, on a lean, still able to drive fast but with half the effort. The E46 M3 eases you into you driving and corrects your mistakes and takes away the rough surfaces, the engine idle, the outside noise, road rumble, the E46 M3 makes it easy for anyone to drive. Where as the E30 was made for the enthusiast, it was made to scream, roar, burble and intimidate.

The E30 on its startup idle sounds so rough, but it grumbles and rumbles the way only old skool Bavarian Beasts can, noise for noise the E30 is louder than the E46 and alot more bassy. However the E46 6 cylinder is graceful, more relaxed, more melodical.

I could write for ages , basically the e30 is the better car , but only if you can live without all this modern crap. Personally i couldn't care less about eletric windows and air con ( my E30 has them ) aslong as the thing can give you that buzz while driving it.

Basically the E46 M3, you are the driver driving the E46 M3.

THe E30 M3 when you drive it, you become one with the car, the car tells everything that is going on, how much power you have left, how much grip at that particular wheel, do you need some opposite lock. e.t.c

Go for the E30 or the E36 great cars, and way better than the E46 M3 as a drivers car.

Thull
Fri, Mar-04-2005, 07:56:58 PM

basically summed it up

JAlfredPrufrock
Fri, Mar-04-2005, 09:58:36 PM
Where have you been? E30 M3 pwns all.

Michelangelo
Fri, Mar-04-2005, 11:58:29 PM
A rough summary: When you're driving an E46 M3, the car will compensate your weakness of driving; when you're driving an E30 M3, the car will show you your weakness of driving.

czm3
Sat, Mar-26-2005, 11:32:22 PM
fmk, I made the same switch last fall. I say go for it, you can always get another new M3, but the e30s are getting rare. As a true BMW entusiast, I have always told myself that at some point I would own a M3. That day came to me last fall.

Besides, the reactions of people when you tell them of the switch are absolutely priceless. Some people understand, but basically anybody under the age of 25 is going to look at you as if you had 5 heads.

Michelangelo
Sun, Mar-27-2005, 01:22:04 AM
"...Some people understand, but basically anybody under the age of 25 is going to look at you as if you had 5 heads."

Haha! I just past my 25th birthday last month!

czm3
Sun, Mar-27-2005, 01:24:27 AM
I said "basically" not every. :)

But I guess you passed the cutoff by a month. lol

Michelangelo
Sun, Mar-27-2005, 08:51:35 PM
I know. Just make some fun!

Actually I'm from Macau. W201 190E 2.5 16 Evolution II and E30 M3 Sport Evolution, as well as Toyota AE86 and Honda EF3 (Porsche 964 too! Ruf Yellowbird!) are the very first cars I know from the races of Guia Macau.

Anyway, there's a side effect of changing from E46 M3 to E30 M3. Actually one of my female friends doesn't let me drive onto her driveway to pick her up for dinner. She'd rather come out and jump into my car at night, coz she said the S14 is just too loud, her mum hates it! (Phew~~~ good that she's not my girlfriend, otherwise... -_-!)

2004m3INjune
Mon, Mar-28-2005, 12:58:02 PM
the e30 is a fun car to drive.. friend of mine has a 325, automatic,, but its fun to drive around, and yes it is loud.. stock exh..

Kruzin
Mon, Apr-04-2005, 09:24:04 AM
i've been a bmw enthusiast since high school and have been around and driven all generation m3s. i went from an e36 m3 to an e46 m3. for maybe about 5 months i terribly missed my e36. it was more of a "sports car" than the e46. but now, i dont think i could ever go back to an older generation m3. im too used to the power that i have readily available, the modern sleek design, the xenons, and all that good stuff. i love the e30 m3s, and agree that their design and engineering are timeless and flawless. however i think it would be an awkward shift going from an e46 to an e30. try to have both!!

Michelangelo
Mon, Apr-04-2005, 06:28:54 PM
Yeah! Power is cocaine!

STUSAintern
Tue, Apr-26-2005, 12:46:09 AM
"Besides, the reactions of people when you tell them of the switch are absolutely priceless. Some people understand, but basically anybody under the age of 25 is going to look at you as if you had 5 heads."-CZM3

im only 19 and the E30 M3 is what made me join this board! i always thought that they were a hot car. i love the flared fenders.

antihell
Sat, Apr-30-2005, 01:31:37 AM
i was checkin one out last weak 1989 w/110000 miles mint condition,i want it so badly,i think its great car but its $17000,so oooo.......

MorradoVR6
Sun, May-01-2005, 05:38:59 AM
Go for it!! You won't regret it... picked one up last week and it is the epitome of what a road race car should be stock! The E30 gets more respect from true German car enthusiast and the newer cars are a dime a dozen...

Kruzin
Mon, May-02-2005, 08:48:34 AM
i had bought my 1995 m3 w/ 100k miles in mint condition for that price...

Thull
Wed, May-04-2005, 05:33:10 PM
E30 M3s are going UP in value, E36s are still going down.

You can almost buy an E36 for less than an E30 now given similar condition and mileage.

Michelangelo
Thu, May-05-2005, 12:26:05 AM
E30 M3s are going UP in value, E36s are still going down.

You can almost buy an E36 for less than an E30 now given similar condition and mileage.

True, especially in the States coz technically there's no E36 M3 but E36 330iS and 332iS instead.