Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : Help setting up my suspension...

rcurley55
Fri, Feb-04-2005, 08:19:15 PM
My 01 M3 has PSS9's on it with 19" BBS LM's and 245's up front, 275's out back. The car understeers pretty heavily and I'd like to do something to change that.

The car also has factory RSM's, and from what I understand they are prone to failure, and I want to be sure I avoid that whole situation.

Right now I'm considering replacing the RSM's as well as adding UUC's Swaybarbarian kit. I have also added an audio system, so I would like to raise the rear of the car about 1/4" (aoubt 100-125lbs of gear - most of it centered over the rear diff or very low in teh chassis).

So here are the questions:

1. I heard the Ground Control RSM's are the best out there. True?
2. Any comments on the UUC bars - this is a daily driver/street car, but I would like to take it to a DE event in the future - will they enhance my handling significantly?
3. Is there anything else I should do to my car while I have it in the air? (I don't want to touch the brakes - I have factory maintenance still and I don't want to void that)
4. Does it have to be re-aligned/re-cornerweighted because of these small changes?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Dan Law
Mon, Feb-07-2005, 10:39:03 PM
My suggestions:

1. Get RSMs - GC and TCKline are the best in my opinion

2. You need camberplates to alleviate the understeer. Again TCK and GC are the best in my opinion.

3. You can add BMW OEM Euro Discs, SS lines, and some good pads - I like the Pagid Ceramic RS14s - great cold bite for street and very high temp tolerances. Your dealership should honour any warranty issues with the Euro rotors but do ask them first - tell them you'll buy thru them if it helps.

4. Honest to God; I just installed some UUC bars for a customer and was NOT pleased with the construction, fitment and quality. I would suggest the GC bars which come with fully adjustable droplinks - which normally retail for $200 - although a bit more expensive.

If you want to discuss prices on any of the GC or StopTech products referenced email me at:

DERMotorSports@gmail.com

Dan Law

STALKER
Mon, Feb-07-2005, 10:55:05 PM
Are the new GC RSMs much better than the old ones and is it a lot of work to put in the new ones??

snook
Tue, Feb-08-2005, 08:36:59 AM
Are the new GC RSMs much better than the old ones and is it a lot of work to put in the new ones??

simple as taking the shock off, and with an impact/wrench removing the nut.....slip on new rsm and retighten...voila done...

the longest part will be jacking the car up and removing the wheel....after that its a piece of cake....

snook
Tue, Feb-08-2005, 08:38:18 AM
answer to question 4....Yes it definately has to be realigned....if you don't have the car realigned....how it feels is moot....as mishandling can come from messed up alignment....

jonam
Tue, Feb-08-2005, 01:56:42 PM
Stalker, if youa re talking about the longer (in Red) RSM, you don't need that. It will only reduce your shock travel and do no good. That's designed for some other application.

rcurley55
Tue, Feb-08-2005, 03:32:40 PM
My suggestions:

1. Get RSMs - GC and TCKline are the best in my opinion

2. You need camberplates to alleviate the understeer. Again TCK and GC are the best in my opinion.

3. You can add BMW OEM Euro Discs, SS lines, and some good pads - I like the Pagid Ceramic RS14s - great cold bite for street and very high temp tolerances. Your dealership should honour any warranty issues with the Euro rotors but do ask them first - tell them you'll buy thru them if it helps.

4. Honest to God; I just installed some UUC bars for a customer and was NOT pleased with the construction, fitment and quality. I would suggest the GC bars which come with fully adjustable droplinks - which normally retail for $200 - although a bit more expensive.

If you want to discuss prices on any of the GC or StopTech products referenced email me at:

DERMotorSports@gmail.com

Dan Law

Dan, this is the first bad thing I've heard about the UUC bars. Could you please elaborate. I looked at the GC setup, and it seems a bit more of an "extreme" or track setup then the UUC.....comments?

STALKER
Tue, Feb-08-2005, 05:21:20 PM
Ya, Im talking about the ones that were red and a member posted pics of them. At least I think they were red.

Dan Law
Tue, Feb-08-2005, 06:31:08 PM
This is NOT intended as a general slap on UUC Products. For example, I am quite fond of their Tranny Reinforcers amongst other products!

Specifically:

1. The bars reutilize the original BMW SwayBar Mounts.

This is problematic for 2 reasons:

A. The BMW OEM Mounts do not have provision for greasing without removing. GC has zerk fittings which permit easy greasing with a gun and without disassembly.

B. While not having zirk fittings is bad enough, UUC doesn't even enclose "silicone grease" (the white milky stuff that's living hell to get off your fingers or the bar once applied). During a recent trip to Tampa, I spent an entire afternoon searching the city for this lube - finally found some at 5:20PM! I was told the "grease" is an option one has to request.

2. The Bars come without mounting instructions.

This normally wouldn't be an issue (very few mfrs enclose sway mounting instructions) EXCEPT that UUC's bushings need to be machined to fit properly in the BMW Mounts. We are NOT talking a small amount of machining here - especially the rear mount. It would be good to know beforehand that one is not crazy nor did the wrong part get shipped. GC by contrast bolts right up with at least as good a fitment as stock.

3. The Rear Sway has only 2 adjustment positions and the "soft" setting is at the VERY limit of droplink clearence.

Essentially the clearence is so tight that I dare not use the "soft" setting for fear of rubbing the droplink on the upper control arm! GC has 5 rear settings and a choice of 3 different overall stiffnesses for their rear bar.

4. The front bars come without adjustable droplinks and only have 2 positions

GCs come with adj droplinks, are available in 2 stiffness AND are INFINITELY adjustable along a @5" shaft.

5. The sways are heavy - I mean really heavy.

OK I know this is just nitpicking.

I realize the retail of the GCs ($650) is a little higher than most BUT when you factor in front AND rear adjustable droplinks are standard (@$200 if bought seperately), the ease of installation (no mods required - simply bolt and go), maintenance is a snap (no need to remove bars to get rid of squeeks), range of adjustability (most importantly, the FRONT is infinite) and choices regarding overall stiffness (from race heavy to street light) GC is hands down king.

If anybody wants more info on these.

Dan Law
DERMotorSports@gmail.com