Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : driving from VA to So Florida

ddreyfu
Tue, Feb-01-2005, 12:33:58 AM
Finally...my condo has been completed in Fort Lauderdale. :dance: I'm planning on driving my M from Arlington, VA to Raleigh on Thursday the 17th and then from Raleigh to Fort Lauderdale on the 18th. I'll be taking 95 pretty much the entire way. Anybody in the SE in the know of speedtraps in certain areas I should take extra caution with?

The M is begging for some sunshine and warm weather!!!!!!

Thanks in advance.

Luke WL.
Tue, Feb-01-2005, 01:13:49 AM
95 gets real shitty (road work and whatnot) arround Ft. Lauderdale so be careful.

jdwgig
Tue, Feb-01-2005, 01:41:43 AM
Border of Georgia/Florida is pretty stout with Fuzz........but more so on the north bound direction of the highway........just be careful because there are tons of cops there trying to catch possible "drug" trafficers who are moving "kilos" to the north east....lol....sorry had to say that...... besides that VA and Georgia are the worst states in the south east with smokies......imo........be safe

derryck
Tue, Feb-01-2005, 01:51:08 PM
Like JDWGIG said...watch out when you get into South Georgia approaching Florida, especially in the Darien area. I travel 95 from Jacksonville to West Palm/Miami frequently and it's not usually too bad with cops. I usually run with my cruise set between 85-90mph and don't use a radar detector. I haven't gotten a ticket in almost 2 years and that was in my Cobra which was very loud.

Tue, Feb-01-2005, 04:42:10 PM
http://www.speedtrap.org/ Might help ya out..Good luck! :beer:

jdwgig
Thu, Feb-03-2005, 03:13:08 AM
Love that speedtrap posting.................awesome !!!!! But really....planes that chart how fast you are going with white lines in the road? how can they calculate your speed? i know there is a lot of math but dangit........

klangford
Fri, Feb-04-2005, 01:18:43 PM
But really....planes that chart how fast you are going with white lines in the road? how can they calculate your speed? i know there is a lot of math but dangit........

It's the toughest to fight in court. Logic and physics rule out faulty equpiment, you can't argue away the simple forumla:

Distance Traveled / Time Taken = Average Speed (MPH)

In the first step we must get everything to a common divisor so the 'time' portion must be respsented in hours (because the answer should be in hours):

First, a simple example.
I traveled 60 miles in 60 minutes, how fast was I going?

60 miles / 60 minutes = ?? MPH
60 miles / (60 /60) = ?? MPH
60 / 1 = 60 MPH

Now for a bit more advanced.
I traveld 60 miles in 45 minutes, how fast was I going?
60 miles / 45 minutes = ?? MPH
60 miles / (45/60) = ?? MPH
60 miles / .75 = 80 MPH

And now, for the one that can earn you a ticket :)
I traveled 1/4 miles in 14 seconds, how fast was I going?

.25 miles / 14 seconds = ?? MPH
.25 miles / (.14 /60) = ?? MPH
.25 miles / .0023333 = 107.1 MPH (In this example, it is a G35, not an M3 :D )

The markings on the highways where planes are doing it are 1/4 mile apart so all they do is get your time, plug it in and they have your true MPH every time, no calibration of equipment needed.

SpecialK
Fri, Feb-04-2005, 11:49:31 PM
It's actually simple math. Three lines on the road to standardize distance and give a frame of reference, they average your speed by time over distance traveled. Nearby unit down the road nabs you with a little tracking help from the air. Dangerous combo. 64 through Norfolk uses it religiously. I always look up though my sunroof and spot them on my way to work. Aircraft are also capable of using RADAR. If you happen to see them as you're crossing those lines slow down to screw up the calculation. Not garaunteed, but everything helps. Then travel the speed limit because RADAR is nomally right around the corner. Love that speedtrap posting.................awesome !!!!! But really....planes that chart how fast you are going with white lines in the road? how can they calculate your speed? i know there is a lot of math but dangit........

jdwgig
Sun, Feb-06-2005, 08:38:20 PM
appreciate the knowledge......klang........and Special...............well how can they precisely time this? stopwatch? lol

SpecialK
Wed, Feb-09-2005, 01:31:13 AM
Unfortunately yes, a stopwatch, albeit calibrated (of course). When you're talking being tenths of seconds off in their start/stop times, it holds up in court. If you are zooming along at 75 in a 55 there isn't much to debate in a courtroom regarding time and distance. Even if they give you the lesser MPH you still lose. A 1/4 mile is 1321.5 feet and at 60 MPH you travel that distance in 15 seconds, at 75 you cover it in about 11.25 seconds. I think it was a Mythbusters or one of those shows that used a police aircraft to time something, don't recall what, but they used a stopwatch accurately to base their speed assessment from, then referenced their flip book for the results. To make things worse, some cities are microchipping cars for tollways and sending out tickets if you leave one toll and arrive at another a little too early. If VA does it, I'm covering mine in lead, wrapping it in foil, baking it in something caustic, then covering it with pepper so the dogs can't get it either. I'm always looking up. appreciate the knowledge......klang........and Special...............well how can they precisely time this? stopwatch? lol

jdwgig
Wed, Feb-09-2005, 02:31:01 AM
HOLY SHEIT!!!!!! Microchipping.........thats crazy...........................wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!! how would they be able to microchip? dealer installed? lol....i know it sounds funny but seriously.......... i think that is way over doing it..........guess they wouldnt have to pay for HP.... ? interesting im searching this in one sec....

zivilyn861
Wed, Feb-09-2005, 01:00:49 PM
Finally...my condo has been completed in Fort Lauderdale. :dance: I'm planning on driving my M from Arlington, VA to Raleigh on Thursday the 17th and then from Raleigh to Fort Lauderdale on the 18th. I'll be taking 95 pretty much the entire way. Anybody in the SE in the know of speedtraps in certain areas I should take extra caution with?

Thanks in advance.

First off, congrats on the completion! :thumbsup:

Ugh I hate 95. I took it from the beltway south to just before Raleigh one afternoon and it took me 7 hours to do what I should've been able to do in 3.

I've personally always been careful in NC since they apparently have a zero-tolerance license suspension policy for 15 over (someone correct me here if I'm wrong; my friend got nailed with this last year). Usually northern GA isn't bad at all for going well over the limit (for example, I could easily do 15 over past a cop on I-75 south into Atlanta and not get a second look), but once you get into the southern regions I'd watch out, as previous posts mention. Lots of small towns that rely on that revenue, and they're pretty good at setting up some nasty speed traps. I don't know exactly where, as I usually take I-75 into FL, but I wanted to give you a warning as well.

SpecialK
Wed, Feb-09-2005, 11:10:29 PM
95 South as you near Emporia, VA and the NC border and between Emporia and Norfolk on 58. Speedtrapvillecentral! Is that a word? Keep your detector handy and use a "rabbit" religiously. His ticket is always better than you not getting one.

M3-peat
Wed, Feb-09-2005, 11:13:23 PM
I've made that trip several times and as long as I keep it within 10 mph or so, I've never been pulled over. I also have the occasional blip to 130 or so but usually when there's plenty of room ahead of me and I can see for miles.
Good luck on the trip.

SpecialK
Thu, Feb-10-2005, 01:10:48 AM
They're impregnated in the particular state's Smart Pass. If you don't use one, you pay double at the tolls. U.S tolls are cheap IMO. I paid $21 round trip to work (25km) when I lived in Japan. It feels good to pay only $2 on occasional weekends in Va.HOLY SHEIT!!!!!! Microchipping.........thats crazy...........................wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!! how would they be able to microchip? dealer installed? lol....i know it sounds funny but seriously.......... i think that is way over doing it..........guess they wouldnt have to pay for HP.... ? interesting im searching this in one sec....

ddreyfu
Thu, Feb-10-2005, 04:07:13 PM
Thanks guys....I'm leaving a week from today...unfortunately living in VA I don't own a V1. That will be one of my first purchases when I get to Fla.

SpecialK
Fri, Feb-11-2005, 12:42:24 AM
Get one anyway and never, never, use it in Va. :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: Thanks guys....I'm leaving a week from today...unfortunately living in VA I don't own a V1. That will be one of my first purchases when I get to Fla.

ddreyfu
Mon, Feb-21-2005, 01:32:22 AM
well...I completed from drive on Friday and yes I did get a ticket :(

I was about 30 miles north of Daytona and they got me with Laser going 98 in a 70. The fine is $205.50, but I'm going to hand it over to one of the ticket lawyers to help keep the points off my license.

It was a pretty clever trap they set up....the cop working the gun was on the other side of the freeway wall and had his arm reaching over clocking the on coming drivers. His partner was up about .25 miles already driving slowly in the emergency lane. I saw his arm pop over the wall and then saw him use his radio to alert his partner. Not much I could do except pull over and accept the ticket :(

KILO15
Sat, Mar-05-2005, 12:42:56 AM
If Your Ever In Miami Take The Palmeto(826). I've Lived Here All My Life And I've Maxed Out Every Car I've Had. The Only Cops, Are Behind You Or Geting On The Ramp. IT BEGINS BY SOUTH MIAMI AND YOU HEAD NORTH FOR ABOUT 25MILES. Keep Your Eyes Open And Make Sure You Haul Ass. Fyi This Road Is Packed Full Of Car From 5:00am Till 1:00am, But If You Have The Skill And Confidence. Best Ride Ever

motoqmd
Sat, Mar-05-2005, 05:49:07 AM
Love that speedtrap posting.................awesome !!!!! But really....planes that chart how fast you are going with white lines in the road? how can they calculate your speed? i know there is a lot of math but dangit........

They just time you from pt. A to pt. B. They have all stats on the plane, so they can figure out your speed.

motoqmd
Sat, Mar-05-2005, 05:57:18 AM

Thanks in advance.

I just took the trip from VA to FL but instead Ft. Lauderdale, I went to the west coast, Tampa. The trip was very enjoyable except in South Carolina. The reason is because the I 95 is old and rough through that state. The only time I encountered any Coppers is between the South Carolina and Geogria border. Good luck with your trip and have fun. :beer:

miami_m3
Mon, Mar-21-2005, 03:52:31 PM
well...I completed from drive on Friday and yes I did get a ticket :(

I was about 30 miles north of Daytona and they got me with Laser going 98 in a 70. The fine is $205.50, but I'm going to hand it over to one of the ticket lawyers to help keep the points off my license.

It was a pretty clever trap they set up....the cop working the gun was on the other side of the freeway wall and had his arm reaching over clocking the on coming drivers. His partner was up about .25 miles already driving slowly in the emergency lane. I saw his arm pop over the wall and then saw him use his radio to alert his partner. Not much I could do except pull over and accept the ticket :(

Were you using a radar detector? if so, which one?

ddreyfu
Wed, Mar-23-2005, 11:33:18 PM
No...didn't have a radar detector. It was going to be a gift to myself when I got moved into my condo :(

BeLikeMike
Thu, Mar-24-2005, 12:14:56 AM
My dad lives in Tallahassee, when i ride, i would always leave about 2 am in the morning and arrive just 4-5 hours. I can set cruise at 120 and no worries. I once took his route from Talla to Jacksonville down I-95 to Miami, yes it took almost nine hours. If you can, leave about 3-4 am and ride at 130 mph if you wanna open her up, and then set it at 90 mph when you see the sun light.

miami_m3
Thu, Mar-24-2005, 12:29:16 AM
No...didn't have a radar detector. It was going to be a gift to myself when I got moved into my condo :(

Damn that sucks.... Sorry to hear that.. Are you now officially moved into Ft Lauderdale now?