Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : Is this deal OK ? thanX

chinglun
Sat, Jan-29-2005, 11:48:15 PM
05 M3
2005 M3 Coupe 6 spd
carbon black ( I like it more than the silver grey I had )
19", all other options except park distance control and heated seats .
no discount . ( maybe 100 bucks?)

trade in on my 05/03 SMG is 41K .

dealer offer the car for 57000 + fee , and agree to move
my cd changer to the new car .

one more question , can the alarm system be removed from the old car and installed to the new car ?

everything is final ... then I withdraw at finance office ... I wanted to ask you guys first .

Thanks for the opinions.

flybigjet
Sun, Jan-30-2005, 12:30:14 AM
I got a custom-order 2005 delivered to me last October for $1500 under MSRP with *no* dealer fees; recently, 2005's seem to be going for around $1500-$2500 under sticker. So, I'd say it sounds high- however, location plays a role. CA prices, for example, tend to run higher than the rest of the country. Also, did you negotiate the final purchase price *before* discussing trade-in value?

I believe the alarm may be moved, but will have to be reprogrammed.

Moving the CD player is a piece of cake as the car's already pre-wired. Not worth a lot in terms of monetary value. R.

Oh, If you're in CA or the midwest, I have a broker that I used to get me the $1500. He's in CO, but can work deals in CA. Let me know if you'd like a steer- he operates on "here's what you want, here's what it costs" with no negotiation or dealer games- I was impressed enough that I'm buying another car from him next month. R.

Rated///M
Sun, Jan-30-2005, 12:32:24 AM
Dealer is only going to give you 41K for your car? Not worth it.

sg333e
Sun, Jan-30-2005, 12:51:33 AM
Dealer is only going to give you 41K for your car? Not worth it.

Without knowing specifics about his car, that's a very fair offer. You can buy them from dealers for that type of money. I'm in the market for an 03 and have been watching closely.

chinglun
Sun, Jan-30-2005, 01:04:37 AM
I want to negotiate the price down another 500 dollars if they are willing .

I am in the bay area ...

Basically my car is a 05/03 and 18" SMG, all other options except Nav and Heater seats .

The 05 car is kind of upgrade for me ... and carbon black looks really nice and better than grey silver ...

[QUOTE=sg333e]Without knowing specifics about his car, that's a very fair offer. You can buy them from dealers for that type of money. I'm in the market for an 03 and have been watching closely.[/Q

chinglun
Sun, Jan-30-2005, 01:09:58 AM
The alarm will cost around 800 dollars to install ... They said the price jump from 500 to 800 only couple months ago ...

The Oregonian
Sun, Jan-30-2005, 03:24:27 AM
I think you should find out what their 'walk price' is (i.e. when they say no to the deal)...I did that at my dealer by negotiating something very low, and walked out (very politely) when we couldn't agree.

Went back a couple of days later and moved up $250 or so and they agreed. Not sure I got to their absolute walk price, but very close.

And, as someone mentioned, walk price will vary by region/state.

IMO, if you make an offer and they accept, they probably would have gone lower. If you are willing to give them an aggressive target to hit and be willing to walk out if they can't hit it, you will know you have them near their limit.

x986
Sun, Jan-30-2005, 03:28:47 AM
I don't know about the trade, but without trying too hard, I have two dealers offering me 2K over invoice on special order. That's about $2600 under MSRP.

chinglun
Sun, Jan-30-2005, 03:31:44 AM
I went there again and give up before printing out the contract ...

The sticker price is 57915 ...and they give me the price of 57700. and of course , trade in is 41K ...

The invoice from cars.com is around 53K , so I thought something may work out .

Anyway, what an purchasing experience ...

thanks for the opinions.,

I think you should find out what their 'walk price' is (i.e. when they say no to the deal)...I did that at my dealer by negotiating something very low, and walked out (very politely) when we couldn't agree.

Went back a couple of days later and moved up $250 or so and they agreed. Not sure I got to their absolute walk price, but very close.

And, as someone mentioned, walk price will vary by region/state.

IMO, if you make an offer and they accept, they probably would have gone lower. If you are willing to give them an aggressive target to hit and be willing to walk out if they can't hit it, you will know you have them near their limit.

GHOSTRIDER
Sun, Jan-30-2005, 04:25:11 AM
i say if they won't take $1000 off sticker don't do it. too many dealers are discounting to accept only $215 off MSRP. tell them you spoke with another area dealer and they were willing to do it. or tell them a out of state dealer is willing to deliver the car to you for that.