Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : Hit a pothole

ZGMF20A SF
Sat, Jan-29-2005, 11:45:09 PM
Hey everyone. I just ran into a pothole about 2 hour ago. It was a pretty loud bang. I stop and look at the car. The rims look fine and the tire didn't bubble up. So, I drove the car home and it was like 10miles. The Flat tire monitor system didn't come up. :banghead:

Does this mean my rims and tires are fine?

Also, those who have a M3 with ZCP and SMG together, does anyone notice that once a while the SMG tend to stall at around 3000rmp. It is like the fuel is cutting off and on and cutting off again. I'm sure I didn't floor in the car and it only has 230miles on it now. Is this normal to stall or jerking like that?

Any opinion will be agreatly appreciated.

Idz21
Sun, Jan-30-2005, 12:02:16 AM
Also, those who have a M3 with ZCP and SMG together, does anyone notice that once a while the SMG tend to stall at around 3000rmp. It is like the fuel is cutting off and on and cutting off again. I'm sure I didn't floor in the car and it only has 230miles on it now. Is this normal to stall or jerking like that?

I only get some acceleration delay when I'm starting to go from 2nd - it takes the car a little while to start tearing it up. But nothing around 3000 rpm. That's when it actually starts kicking up and putting my balls in the back of my throat :D

BigGrin
Sun, Jan-30-2005, 12:06:07 AM
re the pothole, if you can't see any damage to the wheel or tire and the steering "feel" is still ok (including at higher speeds) then I wouldn't be too worried personally.

ahhsheeit
Sun, Jan-30-2005, 12:26:31 AM
You could have bent the wheel(s) on the inside. Make sure you check that part or you might wake up to a flat one day.

BMW F1
Sun, Jan-30-2005, 12:45:39 AM
Get in under the M and have a look on the inside of the tyre, sometimes the damage likes to hide, if its all good under there, it should be fine. The suspension is made to take some big hits sometimes. Hope all is ok.
Adam.

smg kid
Sun, Jan-30-2005, 02:14:56 AM
Be carefull with that thing! Hope you didnt bang up your wheels.

ZGMF20A SF
Sun, Jan-30-2005, 04:11:09 AM
Thanks for all the opinion. I look at the inner end of the rims through the spoke and didn't see any bent or unusual upward. I will jack the car up tomorrow to look at it.

If the wheel is bent, it should show some damage when we look through the spoke from the front side, right?

BMW F1
Sun, Jan-30-2005, 05:40:02 AM
Not really as it might be the lip that is slightly bent and looking thru might not give you a clear indication. Just check it out to be on the safe side.
All the best.
Adam.

PS Keep us in the loop

DaBean
Sun, Jan-30-2005, 07:00:23 AM
yea.. you never know what could have happened where you can't see it... one time my dad ran over a rock with his low profile tires.. no biggie... at least we didn't think so... a while later, on a really hot day, the tire blows... actually, not the tire, the rim.. the increased pressure due to the heat didn't help.. but there was a huge hole inside the rim!!!

Roadkilled
Sun, Jan-30-2005, 09:11:35 AM
yea.. you never know what could have happened where you can't see it... one time my dad ran over a rock with his low profile tires.. no biggie... at least we didn't think so... a while later, on a really hot day, the tire blows... actually, not the tire, the rim.. the increased pressure due to the heat didn't help.. but there was a huge hole inside the rim!!!

OMG Thats crazy, bet he couldn`t believe his eye when he saw a hole in his rim, no offence but were they low quality rims

M3Pipes
Sun, Jan-30-2005, 01:42:48 PM
Remove the wheel and have it balanced. If it is bent, it will throw the balance of the wheel off.

ZGMF20A SF
Mon, Jan-31-2005, 01:38:13 AM
Alright, I took the car to drive for 50 miles with around 80mph and do some steering. nothing unusual, no vibration nor strange sound. I get under the car to look at the rims and didn't notice any chip, bent, or dent on the rims. I assume everything is ok.

Thank you to all of you who input your opinions and insight into my thread.

riuster
Mon, Jan-31-2005, 03:08:51 AM
Hey everyone. I just ran into a pothole about 2 hour ago. It was a pretty loud bang. I stop and look at the car. The rims look fine and the tire didn't bubble up. So, I drove the car home and it was like 10miles. The Flat tire monitor system didn't come up. :banghead:

Does this mean my rims and tires are fine?

the bend on the wheel maybe on the INSIDE lip....take a look...or your TiE rods are off , any change in the steering response?

Fastdog911
Mon, Jan-31-2005, 03:38:57 AM
Some highway depts and city departments willl pay for your damage if you can back up where/when/why how. I hit a pothole in a "construction zone" on I-70.. well the highway is not in charge of that zone.. the constuction company paid me back the $1100.00 for my two AMG rims and balance,alignment etc. Photos of the hole really helps...

ZGMF20A SF
Mon, Jan-31-2005, 01:55:33 PM
Oh yeah, I will go back and take some pictures of it in case for a claim.

There isn't any change in steering response. But to play it safe, I will schedule an appointment with the dealers to check it. Thanks again for all the help.