Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : Service Engine Soon light issue

MadMacs
Sat, Jan-29-2005, 01:30:24 AM
Had the "SES" idiot light appear - 30 miles left on 1200mi bearing replacement "break in" period.
No biggie, I assume emmissions related crap; take to service. (mind you, it seems to run NO different)

Job ticket (word-for-word):
CUST STATES SES LIGHT IS ON.
CK FAULTS ON DIS
174 VACUUM LEAK 1 TIME FAULT
RESET FAULT ROAD TEST NO VACUUM FOUND
ENGINE OK

Put 12 miles on since picking it back up - "SES" is on again.
Anyone with similar instance before I drag my sorry a$$ in early Monday AM? Trevor?

Should also mention - under hood is 100% factory - no "go-fast" upgrades.

Rated///M
Sat, Jan-29-2005, 07:15:21 AM
My check engine light turned on when I had the AFE. BMW said it was the intake that was causing a leak and cylinders 4-6 running lean, so they took it off the intake and replaced with the stock airbox.

riuster
Thu, Feb-03-2005, 03:50:18 PM
Had the "SES" idiot light appear - 30 miles left on 1200mi bearing replacement "break in" period.
No biggie, I assume emmissions related crap; take to service. (mind you, it seems to run NO different)

Job ticket (word-for-word):
CUST STATES SES LIGHT IS ON.
CK FAULTS ON DIS
174 VACUUM LEAK 1 TIME FAULT
RESET FAULT ROAD TEST NO VACUUM FOUND
ENGINE OK

Put 12 miles on since picking it back up - "SES" is on again.
Anyone with similar instance before I drag my sorry a$$ in early Monday AM? Trevor?

Should also mention - under hood is 100% factory - no "go-fast" upgrades.

ok, i found your thread, I am also having he same issue, Manhattan BMW advised me it was a faulty valve and trouble with VANOS....They are replacing the faulty valves.

You say Vacuum leak, what was their approach in fixing this? Did they fix the leak? Did you find anything new, since?

one more thing, I have just almost finished my break in period since the 2nd rod bearing recall....then...after about 1150 miles....the SES light came on...and your right..i cant tell the difference in the drive.

MadMacs
Thu, Feb-03-2005, 06:00:07 PM
You say Vacuum leak, what was their approach in fixing this?
The "so far" difinitive update: (picked it back up Wed night)
Turns out that my fuel filter was clogged to a near crippling state. This lead to the mixture being too lean, ultimately throwing a "vacuum leak" code since the management system had no sensor throwing the code. What really sucks is that I believe the debris was picked up from my "complimentary top-off" upon completion of the bearings...which was also MID GRADE!! Immediately after picking it up from bearing S/A I noticed pinging under loads. I did a quick U-turn and discovered the mid-grade problem, drove with a senior tech to verify, and at that point was content that it would clear up after a couple of tanks of the "good stuff". NOW, having reset the adaptation and engine management, the car "learned" how to drive under these adverse conditions (I'm actually impressed) BUT it proved to mask the initial problem, as I would still hear the pinging under low RPM loads (roll-start from 2nd or corner through 3rd at low speed). As of now, the adaptation has been reset again and so far everything seems back to normal.

riuster
Thu, Feb-03-2005, 09:59:26 PM
thats good to hear....my problem is the pressure valve release mechanism, but its taking more than 3 days to fix this problem, and I still didnt get my car back, if its not the Pressure Valve Release Mech, then its the entire VANOS system, they say oh brother....is this BMW quality?

RYANM330CI
Fri, Feb-04-2005, 12:24:16 AM
The "so far" difinitive update: (picked it back up Wed night)
Turns out that my fuel filter was clogged to a near crippling state. This lead to the mixture being too lean, ultimately throwing a "vacuum leak" code since the management system had no sensor throwing the code. What really sucks is that I believe the debris was picked up from my "complimentary top-off" upon completion of the bearings...which was also MID GRADE!! Immediately after picking it up from bearing S/A I noticed pinging under loads. I did a quick U-turn and discovered the mid-grade problem, drove with a senior tech to verify, and at that point was content that it would clear up after a couple of tanks of the "good stuff". NOW, having reset the adaptation and engine management, the car "learned" how to drive under these adverse conditions (I'm actually impressed) BUT it proved to mask the initial problem, as I would still hear the pinging under low RPM loads (roll-start from 2nd or corner through 3rd at low speed). As of now, the adaptation has been reset again and so far everything seems back to normal.

I always tell people on the boards that dealerships only uses mid-grade!! Nobody would belive me :chair:

Grimm333
Fri, Feb-04-2005, 12:37:00 AM
I always tell people on the boards that dealerships only uses mid-grade!! Nobody would belive me :chair:

mid-grade....EWWWW!!!

MadMacs
Tue, Feb-08-2005, 07:22:36 PM
The "so far" difinitive update: ....
Well, IT'S BAAA-ACK!
Obviously the fuel filter wasn't the problem.
Although this time having paid REAL close attention to give symptoms, I have noticed a "lag" between shifts...as if upon shift you remove your foot from the gas completely. Also the backfiring from 1-2-3 shifts at cold start is back...as well as low RPM load ping (which was gone last week).
DANG it ran so smooth for that one week.

riuster
Tue, Feb-08-2005, 07:26:28 PM
Well, IT'S BAAA-ACK!
Although this time having paid REAL close attention to give symptoms, I have noticed a "lag" between shifts...as if upon shift you remove your foot from the gas completely. Also the backfiring from 1-2-3 shifts at cold start is back...as well as low RPM load ping (which was gone last week).

Ok, my dealer changed the Solenoid pressure valve, and after the replacement and 350 miles....SES doesnt come back on....for me.

If it wasnt the Solenoid, then the service tech expects the VANOS need to be replaced.....

ANOTHER RECALL!!!!

ROCKV7
Tue, Feb-08-2005, 08:11:37 PM
Well, IT'S BAAA-ACK!
The lag you're noticing between shifting may be the CDV. After removing, no lag between shifting.

MadMacs
Tue, Feb-08-2005, 09:09:07 PM
The lag you're noticing between shifting may be the CDV. After removing, no lag between shifting.
EARLY '01 - no CDV. Never experienced before "SES" light.

Straighte8
Wed, Feb-09-2005, 03:07:06 AM
My check engine light turned on when I had the AFE. BMW said it was the intake that was causing a leak and cylinders 4-6 running lean, so they took it off the intake and replaced with the stock airbox.

I had the same problem, so I took out the AFE and put the stock back in. AFE sent me a new cover to replace the faulty cover and now the AFE works great.

MattMan
Wed, Feb-09-2005, 06:24:25 AM
MadMacs: have you purged the suspect mid-grade gas?

safetywork
Wed, Feb-09-2005, 08:14:15 AM
I've had the same thing and was told that the fuel cap may not have had a good seal. Let the engine cycle several times and it the computer should reset itself, they said..... Well, it's 2k miles later and the light is still on! I hope I don't have anything serious.

MadMacs
Wed, Feb-09-2005, 01:50:28 PM
MadMacs: have you purged the suspect mid-grade gas?
It's been at least 4, maybe 5 full tanks since the mid grade. And I let the mid grade tank get to the reserve light before filling it back up.

MadMacs
Thu, Feb-10-2005, 09:01:44 PM
Here's hoping the third time's the charm. Just picked it back up with a replaced MAF sensor. And yet again, ALL symptoms are gone...keeping my fingers crossed!

tb151
Wed, Mar-02-2005, 08:37:22 PM
Here's hoping the third time's the charm. Just picked it back up with a replaced MAF sensor. And yet again, ALL symptoms are gone...keeping my fingers crossed!

I myself am on my 5th light. I have had the MAF replaced and have thrown the code a few times afterwards. So get ready for it to come back... I have also been spitting out low fuel level faults, and they say that's the only reason why the light keeps coming on....

As certified pre-owned, im paying $50 a time for them to shut thus damn light off unless I argue for 20 minutes...

T

MadMacs
Wed, Mar-02-2005, 09:10:35 PM
Well, I just picked it up again last night (4th visit) and this time they say it's running too rich.
It had come back on 2/20, but this time I tried to see if it would "drive out" like my 540 did, but no luck.