Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : Odometer display

Shnapper
Sat, Jan-29-2005, 12:01:12 AM
Hello,

I did a search and didn't find much on this problem, so I will ask away.........

The small orange digital display on my dash that shows, the odometer, current gear selected and so forth seems to be slightly freaking out.

It will dim and then get bright on occasion for no reason. This includes the warning lights on the tach too, they get dim at the same time. I assume they are all on the same circuit. having the headlights on or dialing the dash dimmer switch doesn't do anything to induce it.

It would hardly be noticeable unless I stared at it and caught it doing it. The dealer has no test or fault code for it, it doesn't seem to make the engine run wierd or anything. I told the dealer I guess I could just wait and see if it burns out or goes dim permanently.

Anyone ever had a similar problem and a possible solution?

Daver
Sat, Jan-29-2005, 12:03:37 AM
My 2002 did this and my 2004 does this. I never bothered taking it in because I know I'd just get "could not reproduce".

It'll dim to completely dark, then come back seconds later.

-Daver

ArtM3
Sat, Jan-29-2005, 12:09:04 AM
there's a sensor that regulates the brightness, if during daylight a shadow hit's it, they may get brighter, when it passes, they will dim, maybe??

Sirius
Sat, Jan-29-2005, 01:05:33 AM
there's a sensor that regulates the brightness, if during daylight a shadow hit's it, they may get brighter, when it passes, they will dim, maybe??

Thats logical, because there is a light sensor. However, it shouldn't darken/brighten too much, just a bit; it's noticable though.

ArtM3
Sat, Jan-29-2005, 01:10:13 AM
Thats logical, because there is a light sensor. However, it shouldn't darken/brighten too much, just a bit; it's noticable though.

it probably goes between the daylight setting and the setting you make with the headlights on, via the dial potentiometer, so if you have it turned up high, you'll see a big difference....just guessing though...

I'll play with it tommorow...

capirest
Sat, Jan-29-2005, 03:56:52 AM
Very strange?????

BigGrin
Sat, Jan-29-2005, 10:00:36 AM
Glad someone mentioned this because I saw my dash backlight fade to almost completely dark a couple of days ago and come back as normal seconds later.

Shnapper
Sat, Jan-29-2005, 11:46:32 PM
I'm happy to see this isn't an isolated case, although not good for any of us I don't think it's a serious problem.

I thought about the shadow sensor auto dim type theory, but not sure if I can test it anyway.

One thing I do know is...........
We all here know more about these cars and the quirks they have than any service rep. at a dealership........

Anyone else with similar stories on this problem?

Oh btw my car is a 2004, not sure what my sig. says :nixweiss:

ArtM3
Sat, Jan-29-2005, 11:54:57 PM
I'm happy to see this isn't an isolated case, although not good for any of us I don't think it's a serious problem.

I thought about the shadow sensor auto dim type theory, but not sure if I can test it anyway.

One thing I do know is...........
We all here know more about these cars and the quirks they have than any service rep. at a dealership........

Anyone else with similar stories on this problem?

Oh btw my car is a 2004, not sure what my sig. says :nixweiss:

put your finger on the sensor, should get brighter....

shine the glove box flashlight on it, should dim....

...forgot to test it today :nixweiss:

Daver
Mon, Jan-31-2005, 05:16:04 AM
It's not the interior dimmer. I keep my dimmer way down all the time. Better for night vision.

My first thought was the day/night dimmer, but I don't think that's it either. The GPS screen and the center rear-view mirror each have their own dimmers. The gauges do not have an automatic day/night dimmer on them. They only dim in response to the headlight switch, and mine is never on automatic, so it's not my headlights coming on either.

My 2002 didn't have Nav, so it's not related to that dimmer.

-Daver

Army Chief
Mon, Jan-31-2005, 07:05:20 AM
This is normal, and ArtM3 nailed it: the sensor just reacts a bit unsually in certain lighting conditions -- especially those where you have reasonably high light levels, and then pass through shadows, under clouds, etc.

The sensor is working all of the time, but every once in a while you will really notice it turning things up and down. After that, you can develop something of a tendency to look for this happening, and that's usually when you start to think you might have a problem. That usually isn't the case, though. Nothing to be alarmed about.

Chief

GoKuA
Mon, Jan-31-2005, 07:43:32 AM
put your finger on the sensor, should get brighter....

shine the glove box flashlight on it, should dim....

...forgot to test it today :nixweiss:

Shouldn't it do the opposite?
When it's dark it gets dimmer; and when it's bright it gets brighter.

lightspeed
Mon, Jan-31-2005, 03:12:19 PM
Similar story here:
It was bad weather out so I turned my lights on, bright outside, so the backllight on the instrument panel is full on.

And then I'd notice that the backlight would dim, apparently for no reason... As I kept driving home, in super slow traffic, having nothing to do I thought if there's a pattern in this dimming of the backlight in the instrument panel.

Eventually I noticed that since the light resistor is right next to the left vent, anytime I'd put my left hand to warm it up over the left vent, I'd shade the light resistor and the backlight would go dim... Ah, what an accomplishment. :-)

I think something similar might be your "problem". Nothing to worry about.

Daver
Mon, Jan-31-2005, 08:34:28 PM
Well, my dash going blank might not be something to worry about, but its not something right either.

-Daver