Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : weight of uuc sway bars?

cmy32go
Fri, Jan-28-2005, 03:07:12 PM
anybody here ever weigh the uuc sway bars? im curious to know how much the front and rear weigh exactly.

thanks

Divexxtreme
Fri, Jan-28-2005, 03:14:26 PM
Lighter than the stockers that's for sure.

Rob's Archive
Fri, Jan-28-2005, 03:16:41 PM
im on it right now

cmy32go
Fri, Jan-28-2005, 03:34:54 PM
Lighter than the stockers that's for sure.

Scott,

Im not so sure about that, i installed mine last week and i had the uuc sways in the box and i carried it around and it felt heavier than the box with my stock sways after they installed my uuc's. I would think they are very similar but even a bit heavier than stock cuz of what i felt when i carried the box. I know the people at UUC says they're lighter and thats what everybody believes but i dont wanna go by what UUC says i want to know if someone actually weighed the sways. I weighed the stock and the front bar weighed 14lbs and the rear weighed 7lbs.

Rob's Archive
Fri, Jan-28-2005, 03:47:52 PM
the stock ones are probably a bit lighter as they use a smaller diameter as well as a thinner wall...so it would be my guess that a even when using higher quality materials, the overall diameter and wall thickness would increase the weight, but not by a huge amount

Rob's Archive
Fri, Jan-28-2005, 03:56:51 PM
Tubular Design

By selecting chrome moly as the material for our E46 M3 SwayBarbarian, we are also able to specify another important characteristics: tubular construction. By using a tubular material, the overall weight of the E46 M3 SwayBarbarian is reduced considerably compared to other aftermarket sway bars, as well as compared to even the stock bars.

Why Weight?

For the ultimate in sway bars, we use seamless 4130 Chrome Moly in our tubular sway bars. Weight savings are substantial... for example, our front swaybar saves almost 10lbs compared to the original bars! When unsprung weight is the enemy, the Tubular SwayBarbarians is your weapon. Whereas most tubular bars as also made from mild steel, they prove to be weaker than solid sway bars. However, by using the higher grade stronger 4130 Chrome Moly material, you're assured that the tubular sway bars are just as strong as their solid counterparts.

Both were taken from UUC's site. While it doesnt actually say the weight, im waiting on Arjun over at UUC to give me an actual weight. Maybe they have it on file...

Divexxtreme
Fri, Jan-28-2005, 04:18:39 PM
Oh, I didn't realize that. I was basing my observation on my GC sway bars, which weigh almost 3 lbs less than my stockers (I weighed them when I did the install). I just assumed the UUC's would be lighter as well.

Scott,

Im not so sure about that, i installed mine last week and i had the uuc sways in the box and i carried it around and it felt heavier than the box with my stock sways after they installed my uuc's. I would think they are very similar but even a bit heavier than stock cuz of what i felt when i carried the box. I know the people at UUC says they're lighter and thats what everybody believes but i dont wanna go by what UUC says i want to know if someone actually weighed the sways. I weighed the stock and the front bar weighed 14lbs and the rear weighed 7lbs.

cmy32go
Fri, Jan-28-2005, 04:45:46 PM
Tubular Design

By selecting chrome moly as the material for our E46 M3 SwayBarbarian, we are also able to specify another important characteristics: tubular construction. By using a tubular material, the overall weight of the E46 M3 SwayBarbarian is reduced considerably compared to other aftermarket sway bars, as well as compared to even the stock bars.

Why Weight?

For the ultimate in sway bars, we use seamless 4130 Chrome Moly in our tubular sway bars. Weight savings are substantial... for example, our front swaybar saves almost 10lbs compared to the original bars! When unsprung weight is the enemy, the Tubular SwayBarbarians is your weapon. Whereas most tubular bars as also made from mild steel, they prove to be weaker than solid sway bars. However, by using the higher grade stronger 4130 Chrome Moly material, you're assured that the tubular sway bars are just as strong as their solid counterparts.

Both were taken from UUC's site. While it doesnt actually say the weight, im waiting on Arjun over at UUC to give me an actual weight. Maybe they have it on file...

Ya, i got that from the site as well but there is no way their front bar is almost 10lbs lighter than the stock one. That means their front bar weighs 4 to 5 lbs. No way in hell their front bar weighs that much. The stock front bar weighs 14lbs.

Rob's Archive
Fri, Jan-28-2005, 04:47:53 PM
well im waiting for arjun to get back to me...let me check my email