Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : need help from bmw or someone

pmcguire24
Fri, Jan-28-2005, 03:42:19 PM
:nixweiss: just fitted a new intake to my 2002 e46 m3 but now the engine light is on and when i start driving the eml and dsc lights come on have disconnected the battery and maf sensor 2 times but still no joy i assume if i take it to bmw they can read the error codes and clear the memory to accept the changes to the airbox and intake.. anyone know what the cost of this would be many thanks... also are bmw not funny about aftermarket products being fitted to our cars....

Rob's Archive
Fri, Jan-28-2005, 03:44:03 PM
BMW hates aftermarket intakes and anything else, other than exhausts....

What intake do you have on the car? maybe some of our other members could help you if they knew more about your situation.

pmcguire24
Fri, Jan-28-2005, 04:04:57 PM
my car is uk spec so the intake is from the uk as well there is a picture of it attached will send more details of it when the company emails me back thanks for your help in this matter

Rob's Archive
Fri, Jan-28-2005, 04:13:30 PM
hmm...that looks like a gapped up gruppeM intake off a 330 or something. Im trying to think of why your car would have such issues. Im assuming that the filter is a cotton/guaze style, and hence you should have made sure that it was not wet when you installed it. Also did you damage the maf housing at all?

Budman
Fri, Jan-28-2005, 04:18:01 PM
Its probablt the intake.. Wasn't that intake made for the non-m cars..

Rob's Archive
Fri, Jan-28-2005, 04:19:56 PM
it looks just like a gruppeM intake for a non m cars...so i could see why it would act strange

pmcguire24
Fri, Jan-28-2005, 04:20:51 PM
ithe intake is from a company called CA AUTOMOTIVE i get on really well with one of the sales guys there and they have had a few e46 m3 fitted with this intake it is tailored for the e46 m3 it is cone shaped which is covered by the carbon fibre the maf sensor was not damaged just unclipped out then reconnected along with the battery after install...got a couple of companies i will phone that deal with engine managment and laptop diagnostics,,, my car is a 2002 model and heard that there can be problems but with info i have recieved been told to get the cars memory cleared

Rob's Archive
Fri, Jan-28-2005, 04:26:17 PM
hmm..you might need the adaptations reset but if thats so..i dont know how i would trust that intake. I dont know of any other members on the board that are currently using that intake.

If by the end of the day, no one else has provided any info that leads to a solution, i would take it in to the dealer

Sirius
Fri, Jan-28-2005, 04:29:47 PM
Make sure they are no air-leaks along the route of the intake. Before and after the MAF.

MattMan
Fri, Jan-28-2005, 04:52:39 PM
Strange to see that intake on an M3.. as others mentioned.. it looks like a GruppeM for normal 3-series. See the front air diverter? You are not using any of this air. Are you even using the air from the brake duct? If not, where is the air coming from then?

Did you install the MAF BACKWARDS? This was a common error with the normal GruppeM for the M3.

pmcguire24
Fri, Jan-28-2005, 05:22:33 PM
the air comes from the brake ducts as the tube points straight at it.. its been fitted on a few e46 m3 cars here although it is the mostly 2003 and 2004 models as i have a 2002 model been told the ecu was slightly different and need the memory reset....