Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : Ran out of gas.. definately stupid.

iiztight
Fri, Jan-28-2005, 02:43:29 AM
Okay so I did the stupid thing and ran out of gas. It was one of those things where I was basically just going down the street to fill up but I totally let the reminder light pass me by. So before I hear any of you yapping about how stupid it was, let me just say, i learned the hard way.

So the car ran like a dog after the incident. I would lose power going uphill and it felt sluggish internmittenly. Then the bad stuff happened again. The car ran out of gas a 2nd time just when it hit the 1/4 mark. I took it into the dealer and the problem was the suction pump had failed. This pump supposedly sucks fuel from a secondary gas tank. They replaced this pump and the car feels a LOT stronger.

So to you dudes who run it till the needle is almost empty, its not worth it. Get into habits of filling up at the quarter tank.

Rated///M
Fri, Jan-28-2005, 02:50:08 AM
Haha thanks for warning us. It's not good to run the tank dry, because of the pump.

MattMan
Fri, Jan-28-2005, 03:11:49 AM
Okay so I did the stupid thing and ran out of gas. It was one of those things where I was basically just going down the street to fill up but I totally let the reminder light pass me by. So before I hear any of you yapping about how stupid it was, let me just say, i learned the hard way.

So the car ran like a dog after the incident. I would lose power going uphill and it felt sluggish internmittenly. Then the bad stuff happened again. The car ran out of gas a 2nd time just when it hit the 1/4 mark. I took it into the dealer and the problem was the suction pump had failed. This pump supposedly sucks fuel from a secondary gas tank. They replaced this pump and the car feels a LOT stronger.

So to you dudes who run it till the needle is almost empty, its not worth it. Get into habits of filling up at the quarter tank.

So are you saying after the 1/4 mark, it will use the reserve tank?
And using the reserve tank frequently can lead to pump failure? Sounds like a weak pump. Good advice though.

What you are essentialy saying, don't go beyond the 1/4 mark because the M3 has a "sucky" pump.

askharjoon
Fri, Jan-28-2005, 03:12:16 AM
Yeah, it happened to me too, with 30 miles showing on the computer. THEN the car's acceleration was reduced and I had to change the fuel sensor.
Just read this http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=48791

Serious
Fri, Jan-28-2005, 04:18:52 AM
our fuel pumps use fuel to cool themselves, if you run them near empty the pumps get hot and will eventually fail.

neuralracing
Fri, Jan-28-2005, 12:37:13 PM
Yeah, it happened to me too, with 30 miles showing on the computer. THEN the car's acceleration was reduced and I had to change the fuel sensor.
Just read this http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=48791

Was the drop in acceleration drastic? I ask because this happened to me like the second week I had my car... and I can swear my car never never felt as fast as those first two weeks... and I kept wondering if it was because I got used to the feel of my car or if the running it all the way to empty screwed up the acceleration or the fuel map.

Rob's Archive
Fri, Jan-28-2005, 02:19:50 PM
thats how most automotive fuel pumps work and so you should never really let the level get that low..i have had to from time to time driving, but i never let it go below the 30mile mark.

neuralracing
Fri, Jan-28-2005, 03:44:18 PM
I found out about the onboard compter after this happened to me... Now I always keep an eye on how many miles I have left.

psur1
Fri, Jan-28-2005, 05:04:39 PM
Being that there's a gas station right by my house and right by my work, I have it down to a science and often don't fill up until I'm under 10 miles left. I've seen no problems, but I guess I won't be doing that any more.

M3_shin
Fri, Jan-28-2005, 05:29:24 PM
I fill up as soon as it hits the 3/4 mark. So i spend about 8-10 dollars every day filling up the gas. Sort of obsessive.

sy0296
Fri, Jan-28-2005, 07:09:55 PM
I fill up as soon as it hits the 3/4 mark. So i spend about 8-10 dollars every day filling up the gas. Sort of obsessive.

hell yeah i'd say that's kinda obseissive, but then i'm almost the same way :beer: better safe than sorry...and I'm always running late so having so stop for gas when I'm short on time is a real pain in the ass. I try to fill up wheneve I'm not in a rush and have my brand of gas nearby. My tanks is more than 3/4 full about 70% of the time as well :thumbsup:

Fastdog911
Fri, Jan-28-2005, 07:34:05 PM
ran mine to "O" miles the other day.. at "0" miles I still had .5 gallons left. .

sy0296
Fri, Jan-28-2005, 08:19:37 PM
ran mine to "O" miles the other day.. at "0" miles I still had .5 gallons left. .

definetely NOT good :chair:

psur1
Fri, Jan-28-2005, 08:23:24 PM
Hey M3 Shin I lived in Bucks County most of the first 22 years of my life. Where are you? Unfortunately the last year has been in Long Island, but I'll be home next weekend for the E A G L E S EAGLES game. Sorry about being off topic.

askharjoon
Sat, Jan-29-2005, 03:11:24 AM
I used to "challenge my car too" until I found out that it can permanently damage the car....just read the manual, its a no no.

Super Gyros
Sat, Jan-29-2005, 03:45:50 AM
With the tank empty in most cars you can actually listen to the pump turning (ok maybe not in the M3 especially with an aftermarket exhaust...). I would prefer to stop and get a cab to the next gas station and then come back to the car with a couple of litres of gas than totally run out of gas...

A3r0pusH
Sat, Jan-29-2005, 05:56:39 AM
our fuel pumps use fuel to cool themselves, if you run them near empty the pumps get hot and will eventually fail.

exactly....if you take a pool pump for example it is crucial to always have water flowing to the pump when it is running or else the pump will burn out....same this goes for the fuel pumps in our cars....

M3_shin
Sat, Jan-29-2005, 02:41:52 PM
Hey M3 Shin I lived in Bucks County most of the first 22 years of my life. Where are you? Unfortunately the last year has been in Long Island, but I'll be home next weekend for the E A G L E S EAGLES game. Sorry about being off topic.

The newtown area...further up 413 however.. more towards doylestown. Where exactly did you live? Yeah, everyone is pysched for the eagles, its about time... This is our year!!

silver_m333
Sat, Jan-29-2005, 03:04:11 PM
The miles left on the trip computer is not reliable since it uses your average consumption per gallon multiplied by what is left in the tank. If you drive a lot of highway miles, your miles to 0 should be quite a bit lower in stop and go traffic.

Another thing is if you live in a place with crazy traffic jams. I got stuck in freaking New York traffic with almost 3/4 tank of gas. After literally sitting in bumper to bumper traffic for literally 2 hours, I almost ran out of gas. I had the same experience in LA traffic as well.

I also heard that running the tank empty may cause the fuel pump to pick up whatever junk is sitting on the bottom of the tank and possibly clog the fuel injectors. That happened in my old car and it ran like crap! I think a 1/4 tank is a realistic point to stop for gas. I refuse to spend 7 days a week at the gas station... unless I had to deal with nightmare traffic jams that is.

///Mperor
Sat, Jan-29-2005, 06:34:17 PM

Then you're really robbing yourself of the joy of driving around 1/4 tank. The car feels very noticeably faster around 1/4 tank. I fill up right under 1/4 tank.

AhsanU
Sat, Jan-29-2005, 06:38:10 PM
Thanks for the tip!

I usually wait 'till it gives you the signal. I guess I better fill her up at the quarter mark.

M3_shin
Sun, Jan-30-2005, 02:22:43 PM
Then you're really robbing yourself of the joy of driving around 1/4 tank. The car feels very noticeably faster around 1/4 tank. I fill up right under 1/4 tank.

Really?? Is it that different? I'll have to try sometime.

askharjoon
Sun, Jan-30-2005, 05:41:12 PM
Really?? Is it that different? I'll have to try sometime.
You have to understand, for every liter of gas you are adding 1kg or 2.2lb to the weight. So 50 liters is approx 110lbs of weight.

iiztight
Wed, Feb-02-2005, 12:16:04 AM
I used to "challenge my car too" until I found out that it can permanently damage the car....just read the manual, its a no no.

Haha yeah for sure. When your car starts bucking and you lose power, it definately makes you think twice about gambling for the next gas stop.