Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : Had a little fun: Me vs gf's 04 TL

M3-peat
Fri, Jan-28-2005, 02:35:51 AM
This is not an exciting kill story but fun nonetheless. To set the stage, we are both driving home from Orlando on 95 and not much traffic but we weren't running all out anyway, just short spurts.
My gf has a 2004 Acura TL 6sp, no mods. I have an 03 M3 6sp, no mods. We are on the phone(earpiece of course) and one of us would start us off(the race that is).
First we both started in the same gear (6th,5th and 4th) from about 60 until we hit between 90-100, several times in each gear. I always won(as if), winning by about a car length for every 2.5 seconds we stayed on it. Surprisingly, she stayed with me for about 1.5 seconds in 4th gear almost every time before I start pulling away. 5th and 6th gear, I pulled immediately and kept on. Then we tried her in either 4th or 5th versus my 5th or 6th. Results, in her 4th, she would immediately start pulling away for about 2 seconds before I start keeping up with her for another 2 seconds and then start reeling her in. My 6th gear immediately starts pulling on her 5th, no contest considering she's in a lower gear.

If anyone has driven a 6sp TL (04), they know they are surprisingly quick for the torque and HP numbers they have. I've driven her car in a number of autox and am always surprised by how much power it has. It's no M3 but still fairly quick for a large front drive family sedan.

Two questions. First, is anyone surprised I didn't pull on her sooner in 4th vs 4th gear? I expected a larger gap, sooner.
Second, what kind of gap, in car lengths, would you expect in a 0-60 race against a TL? Considering it's a high 5 second car.

Anyway, it was fun, even though it wasn't an all out race. She was all giddy after doing it.
PS. she has autox several times and does know how to drive a manual, well.
:dance:

Rev8k
Fri, Jan-28-2005, 02:52:47 AM
The M3 has little torque and is not the best from a roll. Try 0-120 next time and you will pull immediately and win by 10 lengths.

M3_shin
Fri, Jan-28-2005, 02:56:51 AM
damn, that's cool that your gf would race you like that on the freeway...mine would smack me for asking...

Mendoan
Fri, Jan-28-2005, 03:17:25 AM
damn, that's cool that your gf would race you like that on the freeway...mine would smack me for asking...
Haha...you're so funny

Rated///M
Fri, Jan-28-2005, 03:18:35 AM

Haha, as most probably would.

AhsanU
Fri, Jan-28-2005, 03:19:04 AM
Haha :rofl2: Nice story :beer:

I should do that with my gf. She'd be in my X5 and I'd pull on her in my M3 all the time.

Oh wait, I don't have a gf :banghead:

Mash3
Fri, Jan-28-2005, 03:20:06 AM
Two questions. First, is anyone surprised I didn't pull on her sooner in 4th vs 4th gear? I expected a larger gap, sooner.
Second, what kind of gap, in car lengths, would you expect in a 0-60 race against a TL? Considering it's a high 5 second car.

It's not a good test since the two cars have different gear ratios. 4th gear is way too low for the M3 at 60mph. I'm guessing that the TL isn't geared for the autobahn or 175mph top speed like our M3s. Try racing her from 3rd gear from 60 (where you should be anyway if racing at that speed), then you'll be able to smoke her, I'd bet. Even better if you go from 75 or 80 to 100mph in third where you'll be more in the meat of the power curve.

Carlengths to 60... maybe one?? Too short a time (5 secs.) to really pull. Try going to a dragstrip and you'll have a more meaningful race.

I 'raced' some fool who was tailing me in a TL on the way to Las Vegas (CES) a few weeks ago. I Dropped down to 3rd at 90mph and shifted at 8k rpm to 4th, then to 5th. Had to slow at 155mph for a pack of minivans and SUVs. The TL was way, way back. Just for your info. Racing TLs and other 'normal' cars is a silly thing to do and hardly worth the gas, but at least it can relieve the boredom of a long drive, as you know. :beer:

bimmer007
Fri, Jan-28-2005, 03:21:41 AM

my gf drives a 350z manual as well, and she's always trying.. yet in the end--always same result, she gets spanked.. come home, and she get spanked again. boy i tell ya, these girls seem to really enjoy getting spanked. hahaha

AhsanU
Fri, Jan-28-2005, 03:22:47 AM
my gf drives a 350z manual as well, and she's always trying.. yet in the end--always same result, she gets spanked.. come home, and she get spanked again. boy i tell ya, these girls seem to really enjoy getting spanked. hahaha

:rofl2: :rofl2:

With a few mods, she can keep up with ya ;)

Idz21
Fri, Jan-28-2005, 07:50:10 AM
It just sounds like your girl is the better driver of the bunch :D

04tytaniumsylvr
Fri, Jan-28-2005, 08:41:34 AM
It's not a good test since the two cars have different gear ratios. 4th gear is way too low for the M3 at 60mph.

Yup... downshift to third next time.

M3-peat
Fri, Jan-28-2005, 01:22:17 PM
This was just more of a test of gear for gear, not a race since she knows who's gonna win everytime.

The idea was not to beat her by downshifting but by the engines low end compared to her engines low end.

PS.
She did ask to be spanked again when we got home. :agree:

Idz21
Fri, Jan-28-2005, 01:24:49 PM
This was just more of a test of gear for gear, not a race since she knows who's gonna win everytime.

The idea was not to beat her by downshifting but by the engines low end compared to her engines low end.

PS.
She did ask to be spanked again when we got home. :agree:
hahahaha awesome! You da man! :thumbsup:

alex77041
Fri, Jan-28-2005, 03:02:27 PM
This sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!

You guys get to spank your GF's !!!!!! :agree:

Why the hell is it my GF that always spanks me????!!!!! :chair: :smiley_ab :soapbox: :ratatat: :spank: :bang: :whip: :greenchai

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHH!!!!! Wait she is no longer my GF but my wife!!!! :banghead:

bimmer007
Fri, Jan-28-2005, 04:37:13 PM
This sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!

You guys get to spank your GF's !!!!!! :agree:

some guys just got it like that.... :spank:

MattMan
Fri, Jan-28-2005, 05:38:22 PM
m3-peat: What RPM were you at starting in 4th gear?

capirest
Fri, Jan-28-2005, 05:44:09 PM

Next time you see her spank her for all of us here on the forum.... :thumbsup:

DaBean
Fri, Jan-28-2005, 05:44:18 PM
It just sounds like your girl is the better driver of the bunch :D

Ouch!!

derryck
Fri, Jan-28-2005, 06:13:56 PM
I have a friend with 05 TL 'Comptech Edition' which has a modified suspension, 19" wheels and an extra 13 ponies (total of 283) over stock. It is rated at 5.7-5.8 secs. to 60mph and it is definitely quick. While torque steer seems to be a major complaint of many in this car, I didn't really notice it but I have had a few 350+FWHP turbo cars.

M3-peat
Fri, Jan-28-2005, 11:43:57 PM
m3-peat: What RPM were you at starting in 4th gear?

I don't recall but I would guess around high 4k, maybe 5k. Her RPM was more like 5500, so maybe she was more in her meat of the power band.

haha, I said 'Meat'.
:spank: