Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : Just had fun with friends modified M5 and burning smell?

m3-starfish
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 10:21:01 PM
After dinner last night, i had little bit of fun racing with my friend's modified M5 with ACS exhaust, rims, bolt-on spoiler and upgraded differential, he's bad and stick shift and i beat him couple time at traffic lights but only pull him half car or most one car length, but at second light i turn off DSC (sport on all the time) and maybe RPM was too high @ 8k at that time and i didnt release the clutch at right time, my tires spun and there was burning smell from rear and front engine bay, i can still smell it this morning, just wondering is it normal, or did i pull it too hard last night? any suggestion? P.S racing M5 was fun and if my friend is good at stick, M5 should beat me any time... :chair:

Mike00
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 10:32:55 PM
You sure you just didnt burn the clutch a little bit?

:chair: :chair:

ilitig8
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 10:37:52 PM
Just 10000 miles of clutch dust, no worries.

Vandy

Elvis1
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 10:44:24 PM
god damn u CALI people with the nice weather, my car is still sleeping for the winter and will be sleeping for a little longer, I want to have some fun.

Probably the clutch.

Rob's Archive
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 10:48:40 PM
ahh...you burned the clutch. The m5 uses a notoriously small clutch diameter for its size and power output and it doesnt take much, either bad shifting, alot of hard power laced shifts or a mixture of the both, to really put alot of damage on it.

Since you did not mention that you braked very hard either, i would say the clutch....wait, you were in your m3...i read incorrectly. Well, I would still say the clutch as there are only 3 organic smells that a car can make...tires, brakes or clutch.

Beowoulf
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 10:53:14 PM
Just 10000 miles of clutch dust, no worries.

Vandy
:agree: I've heard clutches are real cheap on this car. :D

Rob's Archive
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 10:57:31 PM
lets see...about 1800 a clutch job i think alex...so yeah, real cheap!! HA HA Ill take 5 please!

m3-starfish
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 10:59:26 PM
I think maybe the clutch that burned. and i dont think my tires spun that much, and i felt the car wasn't lunching right at that time, only engine noise and burning smell, and it still smells this morning...BMW has already replaced my clutch once, i hope i didnt damage it that bad.... :hmm:

Mike00
Fri, Jan-28-2005, 04:06:53 AM
I think maybe the clutch that burned. and i dont think my tires spun that much, and i felt the car wasn't lunching right at that time, only engine noise and burning smell, and it still smells this morning...BMW has already replaced my clutch once, i hope i didnt damage it that bad.... :hmm:

Maybe you should have gotten SMG. :haha: :haha:

GHOSTRIDER
Fri, Jan-28-2005, 04:24:17 AM
when you have a M3 and a SL65, what's another clutch, right?

Rob's Archive
Fri, Jan-28-2005, 12:02:26 PM
tell your buddy the easiest way to see if he needs a new clutch is to go till you get the car into 4th at a low rev (like 1000-1200rpm) and then floor it in fourth and take it to redline. If the revs slip...new clutch time. Thats the exact way bmw techs test for clutch slippage on the m5.

ekyub
Fri, Jan-28-2005, 12:56:25 PM
Intersting about the M5 clutch. I didn't know they were so affected. Before I bought my M3 I test drove an M5. When I did 2 hard runs thus shifting into 2nd the rpms would spin up. Dealer said he'd have it looked at.

Wonder if there is an improved M5 clutch.

vangaurdtrooper
Fri, Jan-28-2005, 02:09:37 PM
would that be another reason why all of the M5's competition is all auto?
and why the new m5 will not be coming in manual?

Rob's Archive
Fri, Jan-28-2005, 02:30:01 PM
well the new m5 will offer a manual at some point, such is the word. I think most of the reasoning behind the competition being all auto is they know that there is a higher percentage of driver who can drive auto vs manual. Although im sure that taking out premature clutch wear is also a factor when dealing with engines that make inexcess of 360ft/lb of torque. Even the S(L)600 S(L) 65AMG trannies actually have to cut back power because the torque can actually destroy the transmission

There are a few aftermarket clutches out there for the E39 M5. UUC makes one of the best for the average driver.

e46er
Fri, Jan-28-2005, 03:32:23 PM
You are obviously not very familiar with cars.

Rob's Archive
Fri, Jan-28-2005, 03:35:57 PM
46er...who are you speaking to? you didnt really specify..

GoodMETHods
Sat, Jan-29-2005, 05:05:51 AM
I can tell you one thing for sure......that smell is from your clutch burning and it will hang around for a while. I did it after I tried to launch the car my very first time after the break in period. It will go away but dont do it too often, as you will end up paying anywhere from 2-3K for a new clutch kit w/ labor.

AlanBM3
Sat, Jan-29-2005, 06:09:58 AM
After dinner last night, i had little bit of fun racing with my friend's modified M5 with ACS exhaust, rims, bolt-on spoiler and upgraded differential, he's bad and stick shift and i beat him couple time at traffic lights but only pull him half car or most one car length, but at second light i turn off DSC (sport on all the time) and maybe RPM was too high @ 8k at that time and i didnt release the clutch at right time, my tires spun and there was burning smell from rear and front engine bay, i can still smell it this morning, just wondering is it normal, or did i pull it too hard last night? any suggestion? P.S racing M5 was fun and if my friend is good at stick, M5 should beat me any time... :chair:

Were you racing without your oil temp at the normal level? I drove my car pretty hard one time before it was completely warmed up and I got a burning smell from the engine...

Drifter
Sat, Jan-29-2005, 07:39:34 AM
it could be coolent guys, its nothing big. Next time out driving warm the car up normaly, then stop and check all fluids and such in the car. Then if there is something wrong blame BMW and make them fix it for free. If not be happy and keep driving that well put together M3.