Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : Repair rock chips/dings on bumper

NetBoy
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 10:06:28 PM
Any suggestions on repairing dings to the OEM front bumper ?

On most of the dings I can feel the plastic that was pushed out from the ding. I wonder if I can melt it back in or just sand smooth then fill in with paint then clearcoat.

Rev8k
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 11:45:22 PM
Get it repainted if you want it done right. About $500.

bvnmspt
Fri, Jan-28-2005, 12:24:36 AM
It takes 15 minutes to take off your bumper.
Take your bumper to a body shop and get it painted for $250.
That's what I ended up doing myself.

SpecialK
Fri, Jan-28-2005, 01:00:51 AM
Repair, repaint, clear bra.

Rez
Fri, Jan-28-2005, 03:16:25 AM
Bumper cover itself is 280$, if you choose euro bumper 450$ so if it's too bad might as well change the bumper, if not i would wait because it is going to happen again, this is one of those fights that you can 't win.

Will Pwr
Fri, Jan-28-2005, 04:02:31 AM
Repair, repaint, clear bra.

Thats my currently plan :peace:

warmwater
Fri, Jan-28-2005, 04:48:58 AM
Why does BMW Paint ship so easy? GM does not chip that easy! I am not expert it just seams week!

Sirius
Fri, Jan-28-2005, 04:59:06 AM
Why does BMW Paint ship so easy? GM does not chip that easy! I am not expert it just seams week!

BMW's paint is softer than US paints, something to do with Germany, the US and the EPA.

S18adeli
Fri, Jan-28-2005, 05:42:51 AM
I believe that after some time in the 90's they switched thier paint to water based in stead of oil-based. Ecological reasons. Therefore the paint is less durable, same with mercedes benz and other most car manufacturers
:shiftdriv

SpecialK
Fri, Jan-28-2005, 11:33:41 PM
True, and it's not isolated to just BMW. European clearcoats in general are softer than U.S. and the EPA plays a small fraction in that. There are two different trains of thought and both have merit. Short answer: Europe - The clearcoat is softer so as to absorb the majority of the projectile shock in effort to prevent the paint from chipping which would require only the clearcoat to be repaired. U.S. - The clearcoat is hard in effort to repel those airborne objects and not chip, however, when they do take hold, a healthier size and normally deeper chip occurs. Unfortunately we don't live in a "chip-free" world, but it's nice to know that there are folks out there thinking about this. A clear bra is very soft and does a great job IMO. BMW's paint is softer than US paints, something to do with Germany, the US and the EPA.

bvnmspt
Sat, Jan-29-2005, 12:53:21 AM
I think it's about the same price to get the front bumper repainted vs. clear-bra-ing the car. Plus, it'll look a lot cleaner without the clear bra. (possible wax build up on the edge.)

SpecialK
Sat, Jan-29-2005, 01:27:53 AM
It's not really about price comparison, it's about protection of your investment by adding the clear bra. As for the buildup, it does happen if you let it. It takes maintenance like anything else and it's presence is virtually unoticeable. I think it's about the same price to get the front bumper repainted vs. clear-bra-ing the car. Plus, it'll look a lot cleaner without the clear bra. (possible wax build up on the edge.)