Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : Oem 18's on 03m3 and the Track

j
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 06:03:16 PM
I went to the track about a year ago with my stock 18's and afterwards I noticed the black undercoating started to bleed through the silver finish, not good. So to make a long story short, I had the dealer replace all four, a one time only replacement. Anyway, has anyone else had this prob. or did I get a bad set of wheels? I want to go back to the track but I dont want the finish on my new set to be compromised. Thanks.

Beowoulf
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 07:15:47 PM
It has nothing to do with going to the track. It is a known problem with the wheels that is why it is a one time deal, otherwise they would be replacing them every year.

navm3
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 07:31:30 PM
It has nothing to do with going to the track. It is a known problem with the wheels that is why it is a one time deal, otherwise they would be replacing them every year.

I have the same problem on all 4 wheels. Do you mean that I can have the dealer replace them free of charge? My car is under warranty until 11/05.
What do I need to say to the dealer if they give me a hard time? I was actually thinking about resurfacing them? Thanks,

j
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 07:32:43 PM
i think its a problem related to the intense heat generated by the brakes while on the track. So its still a problem then. I cant drive on the track without messing up the finish...that sucks.

Beowoulf
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 09:25:19 PM
i think its a problem related to the intense heat generated by the brakes while on the track. So its still a problem then. I cant drive on the track without messing up the finish...that sucks.
It has nothing to do with heat. It will do it regardless of any track time or not.

Beowoulf
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 09:49:16 PM
I have the same problem on all 4 wheels. Do you mean that I can have the dealer replace them free of charge? My car is under warranty until 11/05.
What do I need to say to the dealer if they give me a hard time? I was actually thinking about resurfacing them? Thanks,
You can always try. Just make them realize that it is a known problem and that BMWAG and BMWNA are aware of it, so if they as a dealer don't want to do it then you will contact BMWNA and ask for a dealer that will. That should get their attention.