Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : Thoughts on debadging

Budman
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 04:55:22 PM
Should I debadge my M3 when I get it.. I did it on my other 2 cars, and honestly love the clean look it gives.. Whats everyones thoughts on this?

نسيم هودج
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 05:12:32 PM
I ordered mine debadged. It just looks cleaner that way IMO.

Budman
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 05:14:29 PM
I was thinking the same thing..

Rev8k
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 05:25:07 PM
No way. Debadging reminds me of the 323/325/328/330 owners who want you to think they have an M.

333inlinesix
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 05:27:58 PM
Eh, I wouldnt do it. That symbol is one of BMW heritage and racing history.

نسيم هودج
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 05:29:55 PM
Please elaborate on how debadging an M reminds you of 323/325/328/330 owners who want you to think they have an M. I could understand it if you said they debadged and then rebadged with say an M logo. But no badge at all. Sorry I don't get the connection you made.....

Naseem

Doctor Love
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 05:34:53 PM
I say no, debadging looks ricey & cheap imho.

There's a lot of history behind that ///M, I see it as an artist signing his work. Afterall, a picture might look cleaner if it didn't have the artist's name written on the lower right hand corner. Doesn't mean removing it would be a good thing though :peace:

A3r0pusH
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 05:40:15 PM
i've never been a fan of the debadging just because i love the ///M3 on the car...the real M3'ers will know you're car is an M from the grills on the side and what not but i im still for leaving them on.....don't listen to other people on simple issues like this...if you want to do it then do it

and people debadge their 325's and 330's and might get a different lip or lights or something to the car that makes it look like an M at night when you can't see anything clearly or you just don't look at it hard enough....

boomer
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 05:44:38 PM
I say no, debadging looks ricey & cheap imho.

There's a lot of history behind that ///M, I see it as an artist signing his work. Afterall, a picture might look cleaner if it didn't have the artist's name written on the lower right hand corner. Doesn't mean removing it would be a good thing though :peace:

Excellent analogy. I recommend NOT de-badging. (oops! double negative! :banghead: )

Rev8k
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 05:56:20 PM
Please elaborate on how debadging an M reminds you of 323/325/328/330 owners who want you to think they have an M. I could understand it if you said they debadged and then rebadged with say an M logo. But no badge at all. Sorry I don't get the connection you made.....

Naseem
They don't want you to know which engine they have.

ArtM3
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 06:01:37 PM
I took the 3 off, left the ///M on...

ArtM3
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 06:02:49 PM
I ordered mine debadged. It just looks cleaner that way IMO.

the 'remove model insignia' option, does it cover the side gills and door jamb trim?

نسيم هودج
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 06:04:47 PM
Still out of all the reasons I have read, none make sense to me. With the exception of one, and that was the one about the heritage of an M and the link to the badge. A 330 looks like a 330. An M3 looks like an M3. I could never mix up the two. But hey everyone is entitled to their opinion and thats what makes the boards great.

Naseem

Rev8k
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 06:07:15 PM
Still out of all the reasons I have read, none make sense to me. With the exception of one, and that was the one about the heritage of an M and the link to the badge. A 330 looks like a 330. An M3 looks like an M3. I could never mix up the two. But hey everyone is entitled to their opinion and thats what makes the boards great.

Naseem
You live in Iraq which is quite different from New York. Here, people debadge because they want you think to think they bought a 330 instead of a 323. It's a status symbol and they are embarassed that they couldn't afford the bigger engine. Make sense now?

نسيم هودج
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 06:27:52 PM
I have nothing to do with ones intentions when they debadge a vehicle. As I stated earlier my reason for debadging was it looks cleaner in apperance in my opinion. To whom ever asked WHAT IS REMOVED when you opt for option (320),which is the order code for model designation delete. It only removes the M3 symbol from the rear of the vehicle. Now back to the subject at hand only one person has brought up a valid point IMO. How does anyone know what a persons reason for debadging is. We are so quick to jump up and say he took the emblem off because he was ashamed of his vehicle. It's so easy for us M3 owners to get so high up on the horse you cant see the Shyte drop! No he took it off because it is his car and he decided he didn't want it on there. To turn it up another notch I only work in Iraq......This aint home for me. It makes no difference where you live jumping to conclusions is jumping to conclusions. And thats a problem.

Naseem

Rev8k
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 06:30:39 PM
It makes no difference where you live jumping to conclusions is jumping to conclusions.
You have proven yourself correct, sir...

Army Chief
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 06:34:34 PM
1. Don't want to rile anyone's feathers here, but who really gives a crap what others think? I bought the M3 for me ... not to impress some wannabe poseur in a lesser car. I get a bit irritated when I see people grousing over "who thinks what" when they see your car. C'mon guys, did you spend $60k just to get an ego boost or to drive the finest performance coupe in the world with a useable back seat?

2. De-badging may be a big decision in the U.S., but here in Germany it is really the de facto standard for M cars -- at least it is in central Germany. In truth, many cars are ordered de-badged over here, but it does seem to be more pronounced at the upper end of the price/performance range. In any event, I'm not sure that you could convincingly argue the whole tradition/heritage thing in the Fatherland.

3. Model advertisements are hardly necessary; when you pass someone who knows and appreciates fine automobiles, they will recognize (again, assuming that matters) what you're driving with or without catching sight of any plastic or aluminum inscription. You wouldn't want a dealer badge on there, would you? Why bother with the oft-abused ///M badge, either?

4. No, the de-badging option (code 320) does not delete the side gill markings. Only the rear deck badge is deleted. My last car was an E34 M5 that was also factory de-badged, although this car would normally have worn badges on the front grille and rear decklid. Yes, that made the car an autobahn sleeper, but the E46 M3 has far too many visual cues to carry off the same effect.

5. I'm certainly not bashing those who have a "standard" (i.e. badged) configuration, but honestly, I just don't understand why the question always generates such passion ... particularly when folks start heading down the path of such sentiments as "hey dude, I'm thinking about putting a 316i badge on my M3 so I can blow away ricers ...cool, man!" I just don't see the appeal of that; perhaps I'm simply too old. That said, I do love my car. :)

Chief

Budman
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 06:42:46 PM
Well said Chief..

نسيم هودج
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 06:49:13 PM
Chief,

I'm 25 and think the same way. Thanks for coming on board. What I think some fail to know is that you, Budman, as well as myself all lived in Germany where the debaging is almost second nature or expected for high end vehicles. My father orders BMW 5 series and always elects to debadge. Although we do have a 530i (ordered while my father was deployed by his wife) daily driver that is not debadged. It's all your decision on your car.

Rev8k
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 06:54:05 PM
If I had a 545i OR 540i, I would NOT debadge it. Any of the other 5 series and I would gladly do it in a second. Just my .02

Hyolee
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 06:57:51 PM
it's your car, do what you want

Doctor Love
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 07:11:58 PM
2. De-badging may be a big decision in the U.S., but here in Germany it is really the de facto standard for M cars -- at least it is in central Germany. In truth, many cars are ordered de-badged over here, but it does seem to be more pronounced at the upper end of the price/performance range. In any event, I'm not sure that you could convincingly argue the whole tradition/heritage thing in the Fatherland.

Part of the difference is that in the US, it's not the top end cars that are most often debadged, it's the rýced-out japanese economy sedans. For that reason, debadging is viewed as a part of a very different culture than it is in Germany.

Rev8k
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 07:15:11 PM
Would you buy a $90 Polo shirt and remove the horse? If so, you could buy the same exact shirt at Sears for $10.

Straighte8
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 07:20:06 PM

Naseem

Well, I think he means that to the untrained eye people may mistake a nomal 3 series for an M

Rev8k
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 07:26:58 PM
Well, I think he means that to the untrained eye people may mistake a nomal 3 series for an M
Why even bother explaining it to him? I experience a debadged 3 series doing a rlcer flyby to me everyday.

Army Chief
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 07:33:56 PM
Doctor Love,

You are 100% correct.

In Europe, you can look at 1.2, 1.4, 1.6 and 1.8 liter badges all day long on all of the Renault's, VW's, KIAs, SEATs, FIATs, Peugeot's, and Daiwoos you like -- nobody seems to give the matter any thought at all. The high-end flagship models are the ones that are presumably meant to be "undefiled" by those extra bits of trim.

Either way, your cultural assessment couldn't be any more accurate. That said, I sort of like the whole "when in Germany ..." approach to this for myself, especially since this is where the cars originate from to begin with. Until the conversation turns downright stupid (as noted earlier), this just isn't much of a hot button issue with me.

Do what brings you joy. There's already too little of it in the world. :)

Chief

Doctor Love
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 07:39:46 PM
Do what brings you joy. There's already too little of it in the world. :)

Indeed, tis why I bought and drive my M ;)

ArtM3
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 07:58:25 PM
I put a 316 TDi badge on mine, I also put an oil drip pot into the exhaust so it smokes a little...:D

I always pull the badges off, looks cleaner, my wife thinks I'm goofy...

In Germany it's an actual no cost option to delete model ID's, in the US it's a $ option to get gold badges(very cheesy IMO), sheesh, what's all the fuss about, it's definitely personal preference

carbonBlack
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 10:01:11 PM
i wouldn't debadge, but if i could order my car again i would delete the rear spoiler tip thing, that would look cleaner IMO.

MattMan
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 10:06:03 PM
I like the M3 badge... So I keep it.

FWIW, when I see a de-badged M3, I have to do a good once over to make sure it's not a 3 series w/ M3 body parts.

BMW F1
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 10:11:55 PM
I can not understand why anyone would want to debadge an M3, to me, seriously it makes NO SENSE.
Adam.

2004m3INjune
Fri, Jan-28-2005, 08:25:31 AM
take the ///m3 badge off if you want to.. its still gonna be a m3 with or without the emblem, you paid for the car, might as well make it look the way you want to :beer: , btw i have mine on, cuz im too lazy to take it off haha

AhsanU
Fri, Jan-28-2005, 08:39:11 AM
I really don't see how it makes the car look "cleaner".

I personally love the badge, and wouldn't take my car without it :beer:

نسيم هودج
Fri, Jan-28-2005, 08:50:09 AM
It's a little piece of plastic that just looks out of place on the rear of the vehicle to me. So in my case it goes byebye. Look at the back of an M without the M emblem it has a cleaner appearance. I'm finished with this thread because really and truely it is point less. If you've got an M do what ever the Hell you'd like with it. Mine is badgeless and will always be this way.

Naseem

Army Chief
Fri, Jan-28-2005, 09:22:10 AM
Likewise.

Just keep in mind that the factory offers a special code (320) for de-badging because in Germany it is a very frequent request -- especially in higher end vehicles. If you lived in Germany, you would immediately understand the appeal of a "cleaned up" rear deck; if you haven't had the pleasure, then it would probably seem a bit out of place. Depends upon your frame of reference, where you've been, and what you've seen.

Contrary to popular belief (and I say this slightly tongue-in-cheek), your car will STILL be a real, live genuine M3 if you remove the label. No kidding!! On the other hand, just because a car sports an M badge, we've all learned that this is often an indicator of nothing at all. Show or go ... what's your priority?

I find that my position on the matter is most eloquently summed up in audio: Badges (http://www.charlespetrie.com/badges.wav)

OK, I'm movin' on, too. :)

Chief

Roguish Racing
Fri, Jan-28-2005, 09:52:41 AM
On or off, the M will still be an M...someone stole mine but I like the clean look so I've left it that way...

mkassab
Fri, Jan-28-2005, 11:37:07 AM
"A rose by anyother name is still a rose" author unknown

RSTM3
Fri, Jan-28-2005, 12:23:07 PM
On or off, the M will still be an M...someone stole mine but I like the clean look so I've left it that way...

Sometimes we over analyze things. Just go out and drive the cars.. :peace:

Do what you want, it's your car. When I switched my trunk, I actually thought it was a nice change without the M3 logo in the back. Didn't think it was better, just a nice change.

So it comes down to looks and personal preference IMO.

Take a look at the picture (below). I don't have the badge, but the licence plate holder takes care of the model designation. :thumbsup:

Rev8k
Fri, Jan-28-2005, 12:54:30 PM
If you take off the M3 badge, why not just remove every badge on the car?

konaforever
Fri, Jan-28-2005, 02:10:48 PM
I prefer to keep the badge on. But whatever floats your boat. Your car, your choice.

EMAXX
Fri, Jan-28-2005, 02:14:44 PM
I like it without the badge. Keeps the rear of the car clean, and you might not get as many ricers trying to race you all the time.

Divexxtreme
Fri, Jan-28-2005, 02:16:06 PM
E - Your sig cracks me up everytime I see it. :D:thumbsup:

killer junior
Sat, Jan-29-2005, 01:18:06 AM
Didn't read this whole thread, but I wouldn't debadge an M car. I debadged my 325i to make it look cleaner, but I would never debadge an M.

killer junior
Sat, Jan-29-2005, 01:20:43 AM
You live in Iraq which is quite different from New York. Here, people debadge because they want you think to think they bought a 330 instead of a 323. It's a status symbol and they are embarassed that they couldn't afford the bigger engine. Make sense now?

Naseem doesn't live in Iraq.

MadMacs
Sat, Jan-29-2005, 02:21:54 AM
E - Your sig cracks me up everytime I see it. :D:thumbsup:
No doubt!! Does anyone know if that poster is available...I would definitely frame one, at least it has the good looking e39's on board.

On topic: seeing that I CAN'T see my arse-end while driving, I could care less if the ///M3 is there or if it gets heisted.