Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : Redline - How high?

neuralracing
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 12:41:58 PM
I was talking to a co-worker that is very close to the head mechanic at the local dealer. He mentioned that there are several E46 M3's in Puerto Rico running above the 8K redline I have on my car (Dinan Software). My question is... how high can I go and still be safe... my thought is 8K is as high as I feel safe on going... but I wanted opinions...

I have seen posts of 8.8K... some claim 9K.

Also... we must assume that one would not regullarly take the car to redline... only once in a while (1-2 times a week) for fun.

Thrill
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 02:07:26 PM
Without extensive bottom end work I would say under 9,000. You will get varying answers.

tec548
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 04:19:24 PM
Without cams, headers, race cats (or none), mid-pipe, muffler and intake... there is no reason to go above 8150. The motor is running out of breath and falling too far below the curve to justify going higher. Stock bottom end and valve train is good for 9200 (I run 8800 for 40k miles and the motor is strong), but again there's no reason to go there until you do the rest.

Joel

neuralracing
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 04:57:18 PM
I was told they remap the fuel curve as well when they reprogram the rev limiter.

Rob's Archive
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 05:03:15 PM
if dinan did remap the fuel curve, it should make more power...but their software makes none! So i would find it hard to believe that they actually do....eurobahn and powerchips are both software specializing companies and they actually make power.

As for the redline and such...joel is again the smartest cookie on the thread.

neuralracing
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 07:05:51 PM
if dinan did remap the fuel curve, it should make more power...but their software makes none! So i would find it hard to believe that they actually do....eurobahn and powerchips are both software specializing companies and they actually make power.

As for the redline and such...joel is again the smartest cookie on the thread.

I think they are working off the base curve with Sport mode on... and they are doing the remapping in house. In other words they are creating their own fuel map...