Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : No SMG S5 during break-in period?

dizzy
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 07:47:32 AM
Ok, I picked up my '05 silver grey/ZCP/SMG on monday.

:dance: :dance: :dance:

I'll post my initial impressions and pics in the days to come (I might have time to take pics in the morning). In the meantime, I'll ask about this...

I drove home (the long way, of course), and realized how hard its gonna be to keep this thing under 5500 rpm for the next 1200 miles. I tried some of the different SMG S modes, and settled on 5... the others are just too slow (haven't tried 6 yet). I get home and read the manual, and notice that it says not to use S5, S6, or Launch Control until after breakin. Ok, LC is a given... S6? Ok, I'll give 'em that too, but S5? Damn. S4 is just too sluggish in my opinion. I noticed that in the '04 manual, it only says not to use 6, but nothing about 5. Are there issues popping up that made BMW decide it's best to baby the SMG during breakin? I'm very strict about breaking cars in correctly (even though I hit 6k today :bugeye:... it was an accident, I swear :whistle: ), but driving in S4 for the next 1200 miles is gonna kill me.

-David

DaBean
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 07:52:38 AM
I stayed in S5 for the whole break-in period, and I have not heard of this before. It's possible it's a change for '05...

MLINER
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 07:53:08 AM
Just follow the rules....and it will be worth the wait.

capirest
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 08:07:58 AM
Is your car a daily driver? If it is then that 1200k will go by so fast!!! Don't worry too much about & just followed what the manual says!

And by the way CONGRATS!!!!!
Anthony

AhsanU
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 08:15:50 AM
Regarding the S5 - You can use it anytime during the break-in. I don't think I used anything else except A3 during my break-in.

The 1,200 miles were horrible to me. I had to wait around 4 months because of the winter, and the M3 isn't the daily driver. If your M3 is your daily driver, then the 1,200 miles should go quick. Here's a tip: don't look at the odometer, it'll go quicker that way ;)

As you progress through mileage, I suppose it's okay to reach 6k RPM. I hit 6.2k RPM at around 1100 miles. The first few hundred miles is the most crucial part of the break-in. The oil, cylinders, everything has to be broken in. So as long as you didn't push M3 hard during the first 300 miles, you're good :peace:

dizzy
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 08:16:29 AM
Is your car a daily driver? If it is then that 1200k will go by so fast!!! Don't worry too much about & just followed what the manual says!

And by the way CONGRATS!!!!!
Anthony

It is a daily driver, but I only drive about 3 miles to work. I'll be taking the Looooong way home for a few weeks...). I will obay. It's just annoying... S5 works great... I can't believe there are 4 modes that are slower. Does anyone else use anything lower than 4 for normal driving?

-David

dizzy
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 08:18:04 AM
...Here's a tip: don't look at the odometer, it'll go quicker that way ;)

Don't worry, my eyes are glued to the tach...

-David

capirest
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 08:29:05 AM
When I'm by myself I'm always at S5 or S6 all depending on the road conditions. When the wifey is in the car S3 with sport mode on!!!!

gtb5
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 09:05:16 AM
It really says S5 can't be used during break in period in manual?? Yeah S5 is the best of both worlds anything lower are sluggish and can't really feel the difference between S5 and S6, maybe I haven't driven hard enough or changed at higher RMPs??

vRooooM
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 02:08:41 PM
I stayed in S5 for the whole break-in period, and I have not heard of this before. It's possible it's a change for '05...

My 04 had the same insturctions, no S5 or S6. During breakin I used S3 and S4.

Thrill
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 02:33:19 PM
Missed that one. Broke my 04 in in S5 the whole time. S5 and S6 are the only two modes I use. Follow the instructions. I swear BMW and their break in period. If they really wanted to break it in right they would not be using 10/60 synthetic. Maybe their not. Wonder if that is what they use from the factory or if the go to that at the first change. !0/60 would not be my choice of break in oils. Of course it's not my choice for winter either, but itís in my car. If I still have the car after warranty you can bet I will be running 40 in the winter and 50 in the summer. The problem with these engines was not the oil, the goof balls.

patty
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 03:21:32 PM
I was told at the Performance Center to not use S5 or S6 for the first 3-400 miles or so, and no LC until 1200mi.

Rat Fink
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 08:36:35 PM

Same here, without any issues.