Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : I Think my DSC is broken

ziddy617
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 10:42:23 PM
when i start up my car today, my dsc warning light stayed on as well as my abs light came on... i pressed the dsc button and it wont turn off so i was wondering do i have to bring it to the dealership and have them look at it or can i just disconnect and reconnect my battery and this problem will go away?

MattMan
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 10:44:17 PM
Doesn't sound good. Did you drive it for a while to see if it would clear it?
Did you do anything to your car previously?
Fuses pulled?

ziddy617
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 10:58:29 PM
Doesn't sound good. Did you drive it for a while to see if it would clear it?
Did you do anything to your car previously?
Fuses pulled?

did not pull any fuses... couldnt really drive it aorund considering my car is stuck in the snow... it was working the first time i turned it on, then i turned it off and i kinda just sat in the snow spinning my wheels trying to move the car... after that i just let the car sit there for like 5 mins... when i tried to turn on the dsc everything just stopped working.. so maybe i should check the fuse box?

MattMan
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 11:03:12 PM
did not pull any fuses... couldnt really drive it aorund considering my car is stuck in the snow... it was working the first time i turned it on, then i turned it off and i kinda just sat in the snow spinning my wheels trying to move the car... after that i just let the car sit there for like 5 mins... when i tried to turn on the dsc everything just stopped working.. so maybe i should check the fuse box?

no no.. the fuse question was if you say got tints or had something to disable which would cause you to remove a fuse.

Did you get the flat tire warning?
What do you mean everything stopped working?

So you rotated your wheels while the car was off?

ziddy617
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 11:18:36 PM
no no.. the fuse question was if you say got tints or had something to disable which would cause you to remove a fuse.

Did you get the flat tire warning?
What do you mean everything stopped working?

So you rotated your wheels while the car was off?

i got a flat tire warning also... i meant the dsc wasnt working i was able to spin my wheels

M3ForFun
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 12:11:24 AM
i got a flat tire warning also... i meant the dsc wasnt working i was able to spin my wheels

Sounds like what my 2003.5 M3 is in the shop for right now. If it is, bad news, buddy. My car has been in the shop 2 weeks now. After messing around replacing sensors and wiring harnesses, and moving up the chain of consultants, they have finally decided it is a software problem in the DSC unit. But they can't reprogram it because for unknown reasons they can't get the new software into their shop computer, to then download it into my car. Their solution is to get a new DSC unit, but it has to come from Germany. I'm about done with BMW, this is absolutely rediculous . It's a great driving car, but it spends WAY too much time in the shop.

Richard M.
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 12:19:29 AM
when i start up my car today, my dsc warning light stayed on as well as my abs light came on... i pressed the dsc button and it wont turn off so i was wondering do i have to bring it to the dealership and have them look at it or can i just disconnect and reconnect my battery and this problem will go away?

A person on another board I read had a similiar problem. It seems that when your rear wheels do a lot of spinning in the snow compared to front wheels it sends the DSC/ABS computer into a frenzy. It is similiar to what happens when you try to DYNO the car. Front wheels stationary and back wheels spinning. Most people who have had this happen say to drive the car a few miles and the fault clears itself. :beer:

Antwerp
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 12:25:29 AM
Yes. I've had this happen. It's crazy, but true. I should clear up with time...

ziddy617
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 12:30:27 AM
so if i can drive the car for a few miles everything should clear up? or is it a sensor problem? well either way its gonna be expensive cuz i just ran out of warranty... over 50k miles hehe... oh wells

Antwerp
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 12:33:32 AM
Well, it's worth a shot. See what happens. Dosen't sound like you'll make things worse by doing so...

Thrill
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 03:01:27 AM
Drive it. After a few stops and starts it may clear. Some fuel systems work this way. It may just need to remap or relearn as some may say. It prob. went to a factory defualt setting because of the spinning without moving. Generally there is just a reset and not a software reload for this kind of issue. I know just enough to be wrong but I would give it awhile.

F2468
Sat, Sep-29-2007, 08:56:38 AM
Great now my DSC wont turn on.=P I had a ball form in one of my rears and replaced it with a different tire with a bit more tread. That was setting of the tire sensor. I figured it wouldnt matter because I am getting new rims+tires very soon. Then recently I was replacing my turn indicators with depos and I broke the clip so I had to pull off the mudgard in front of the passenger tire. I heard theres a sensor there and soon after I did that my DSC has been acting up. The DSC engaged today and stayed on until tonight. Hopefully it clears up. Also, I recently had my computer reflashed for the emissions recall. hmmmmmmmmmmm