Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : 19's and NJ Roads

mthreesteve
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 05:43:47 PM
Thinking about ordering ZCP package with my new M, but I am very concerned about the horrible NJ roads bending, breaking, messing up the wheels. Currently I have an 02 M with the stock 18's and have had no issues with them. Has anyone had any serious issues running with 19's?

woptang22
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 05:58:10 PM
Thinking about ordering ZCP package with my new M, but I am very concerned about the horrible NJ roads bending, breaking, messing up the wheels. Currently I have an 02 M with the stock 18's and have had no issues with them. Has anyone had any serious issues running with 19's?
Actually I am in the same situation as you. I have a 02 M3 currently with the stock 18's. But I do have iforged 19's down my basement that Im waiting for the nice weather to put on. I live in Pa and the roads are absolutely horrible. I mean terrible. The town I live in is even worse they have been working on all the septic systems on every house in the town switching them over, so every street is covered in potholes, metal covers, holes, and anything you can think of. So I am nervous about putting on the nice new 19's but I also want my car to look nice, so I guess our best bet is to just drive safe and aware.

patty
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 06:07:43 PM
I'm in Central NJ with OEM 19's. I find that the roads here are pretty crappy most of the time, but nothing hazardous (thus far) to my wheels. I keep an eye out for potholes on roads I know are bad. You probably already know which roads/situations you can and can't drive on/in with 19's.

riuster
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 06:49:59 PM
Gentlemen, well for you all you guys who are worried about this, I have your solution, just go out and buy 6 wheels, 3 front and 3 rear. Even you have 18s you will probably end up replacing one wheel and if you think that having either 19s or 18s will prevent this...think again. The probability of a dent wheel is less on 18s, but poorly inflated tires, the risk is just as high.

Also, 3 piece wheels are the way to go, either the outer lip or the inner wheel gets damaged, its always replaceable at a fraction of the cost.

Forged is the way to go

Inflate to 46lbs on 19s....at least 43lbs...and keep a good eye for it..because North east temp. flux really changes tire pressure quickly.

If you honestly think for one minute that you will not have at least one bump from the road....well, wishful thinking, so just slap on those 19s and drive safely and also pump 46lbs of air in your tires...prevents wheel damage.

I have done this so far, and well, I have had one bent rim since 2002 and perhaps a few minor dents on the inside of one other wheel, but nothing signficant to replace the wheel and I have two replacements in the garage.

so far it worked, and I hit bumps every other minute....:-(

Idz21
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 07:40:27 PM
46lbs? Why so high? I would think that the higher the air pressure inside the tire the more of a risk that it would be damaged because there is no give when hitting holes in the road.

Could be wrong though. Explain please :)

tvoltm3
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 07:45:14 PM
Haven't had any problems with my 19's. I live in San Francisco where the roads are probably the worst I have ever driven. I bought additional insurance for the wheels (Less than $300). I have hit some pretty hard bumps and nothing to report yet.

Thrill
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 09:34:42 PM
I run 41 in the front and 38 in the rears in Cincinnati. No problems with my 19s. I agree that proper inflation is a big part of saving the wheels.

ArtM3
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 09:39:36 PM
I have 84K miles on some of the worst roads around, no damage, on my oem 18's or 19's

the 19's should be a little more durable, as long as tire pressures are >36 psi

if you smack something hard enough to screw a wheel up, the suspension is most likely going to be damaged also

njcycleguy
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 11:22:23 PM
I live in Northern NJ and had OEM 19's on my E46 M3 with no probs whatsoever. I do remember a couple of times hitting a pothole and thinking "ah $hit, I bent a rim" - and all was A-OK. In contrast, I had aftermarket OEM BMW Replica 17" 7 spoke wheels on my '99 E46 323i, and they were garbage. Heavy as hell too. I hit a pothole once coming out of the toll exit of the Triboro bridge and honestly blew both tires (and bent both rims hardcore) - long story, but it was hell. I'll never do aftermarket OEM replicas again.

The OEM 19's are forged - they seem to hold up remarkably well. I'm not sure about the 19's that come on the ZCP package, but I say don't sweat it. Besides, stock 18's (which you can't get on a ZCP) look like crap IMHO. I've ordered my '05 M3 Convertible with stock 19's.

-Ted

Idz21
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 11:24:15 PM
I live in Northern NJ and had OEM 19's on my E46 M3 with no probs whatsoever. I do remember a couple of times hitting a pothole and thinking "ah $hit, I bent a rim" - and all was A-OK. In contrast, I had aftermarket OEM BMW Replica 17" 7 spoke wheels on my '99 E46 323i, and they were garbage. Heavy as hell too. I hit a pothole once coming out of the toll exit of the Triboro bridge and honestly blew both tires (and bent both rims hardcore) - long story, but it was hell. I'll never do aftermarket OEM replicas again.

The OEM 19's are forged - they seem to hold up remarkably well. I'm not sure about the 19's that come on the ZCP package, but I say don't sweat it. Besides, stock 18's (which you can't get on a ZCP) look like crap IMHO. I've ordered my '05 M3 Convertible with stock 19's.

-Ted
I believe there is someone on the board selling ZCP/CSL replica 18" rims.

M-AZING
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 04:31:14 AM
I've had my OEM 19's for over two years - honestly, you just have to be REALLY careful and always be aware of potholes, manhole covers etc... I caught a manhole cover awkwardly two years ago - and 15 minutes later my low tire pressure light turned orange - then red. Anyway - the most annoying thing was waiting 4 days for a tire (from tire rack), and getting it flatbedded to the dealership - I was out about a week (and $400 I believe). Just be careful, and pick your roads carefully! Good luck...

NickyBlack
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 04:33:13 AM
i have 18" stock rims for the winter with no issues and in the remaining 3 seasons i run 19" iForged rims in the Northern Jersey area. Not the best setup for running around in these areas but i've had no problems so far. You have to be carefull and not go into every street/highway like you would if you were driving an SUV, but i sacrifice the practicality vs. the looks, and are more carefull negotiating potholes and street your not familiar with, but in the end i wouldn't trade my 19" iForged for anything. Car looks awesome.

riuster
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 04:39:51 AM
46lbs? Why so high? I would think that the higher the air pressure inside the tire the more of a risk that it would be damaged because there is no give when hitting holes in the road.

Could be wrong though. Explain please :)

if you refer to the manual, air pressure can reach levels of 42lbs i believe..but its in the 40s, take a look, and its in your manual on recommendations of air pressure for accomodating different pay loads.....perhaps 2 skinny girls and one fat one...whatever it may be, just say you have 4 fat girls in your M3...well you need to pump those tires with highest of pressure to maintain the extra payload weight, lack of air reduces performance and promotes wheel damage.

the manual provides the recommended tire pressure

As long as your tires are NOT over pressurized to keep at a decent level at 42 to 46lbs, well its ok...it will not blow, harsh ride, but...it will save your wheels. I hit lots of potholes and no dents and no blowouts....I was shocked to my amazement...since the air pressure keeps the wheel as far away as from the asphalt. So far it worked for me.