Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : wheellocks, could someone post a poll?

dt15
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 05:10:35 PM
hi everyone,
i don't know how to post a poll. would someone who knows how please do me a favor and post a poll as i have it below?

people on the forum have said that wheellocks are useless, they just delay a thief from getting your wheels. on the other hand, alot of people have wheellocks. i would like to see a poll with the following choices:

1. i have wheellocks and i have stock 18s
2. i DON'T have wheellocks and i have stock 18s
3. i have wheellocks and i have stock 19s
4. i DON'T have wheellocks and i have stock 18s
5. i have wheellocks and i have stock 19 ZCPs
6. i DON'T have wheellocks and i have stock 19 ZCPs
7. i have wheellocks and i have aftermarket rims
8. i DON'T have wheellocks and i have aftermarket rims.

also, forum readers, please feel free to weigh in with your opinions about wheellocks (PROS AND CONS)

thanks,

dt15

Rev8k
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 05:23:09 PM
also, forum readers, please feel free to weigh in with your opinions about wheellocks (PROS AND CONS)

They should be thrown in for free by the stealer...

sy0296
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 08:24:29 PM
i think you meant "i DON'T have wheels locks and i have stock 19s" for option 4 which i what i ran for about 4 months. then it went to option 8 for a long time until someone tried to steal my rims unsuccessfully but removing and loosening my studs which eventually led to the studs snapping in the hub when i drove...replace hub+bearing. now i'm option 7 and check and torque my studs very often

RydeWitM3
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 08:32:54 PM
wheel locks are pointless, cuz the amount of time it would take to steal the wheels they might as well take the whole car, plus its the same amount of jail time, so why not take the car and the take the wheels off of it later. just my .02cents

Rev8k
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 08:34:07 PM
I think they are needed since most amateurs can't remove them and they are the ones most likely to try to take your wheels.

Beowoulf
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 08:36:13 PM
wheel locks are pointless, cuz the amount of time it would take to steal the wheels they might as well take the whole car, plus its the same amount of jail time, so why not take the car and the take the wheels off of it later. just my .02cents

Because unless you have the key or a flatbed truck you can not steal this car.

Beowoulf
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 08:37:09 PM
Wheel locks are pretty cheap so why not just put them on. I have a set I'm not using since I'm hoping someone steals my wheels so I can get some new ones. If you really want to piss off the thieves then use 5 different ones on each wheel. :D

RydeWitM3
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 08:43:27 PM
Because unless you have the key or a flatbed truck you can not steal this car.

i know people that can steal the car without those two items. :beer:

MattMan
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 10:05:11 PM
You did not see the "post a poll" section when you created the thread?

ArtM3
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 10:30:37 PM
..... If you really want to piss off the thieves then use 5 different ones on each wheel. :D

:rofl2:

I prefer to take an impact wrench and an 18mm socket (the lug bolts are 17), set it to max tight and strip the edges off, that way no one will ever get them off :thumbsup:

MattMan
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 10:42:00 PM

I prefer to take an impact wrench and an 18mm socket (the lug bolts are 17), set it to max tight and strip the edges off, that way no one will ever get them off :thumbsup:

LOL... true.. unless they had some type of tool that grabs stripped bolts..

E46M3Rod
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 11:11:01 PM

Yeah....and that would include you too when you have a flat tire...right? :rofl2: :peace: :wave:

Chemical7
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 12:55:17 AM
i know people that can steal the car without those two items. :beer:

You have classy aquaintances.

ArtM3
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 12:56:37 AM
Yeah....and that would include you too when you have a flat tire...right? :rofl2: :peace: :wave:

that's what road side service is for :nixweiss:

ninook
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 01:07:56 AM

Wrong!
Sears makes a tool that can remove stripped bolts easily. Which means it will most likely work on a wheel lock too. Be afraid, be very afraid!

Rev8k
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 01:09:38 AM
If you didn't get free wheel locks with this car then you don't know how to negotiate a new car purchase. They should be standard IMO. And they do help. If someone else out there has the same wheels as you and damaged one, do you think he is going to spend $700 on a new one at the stealer or just jack them off yours at the local mall? If you don't have locks, it'd be pretty hard for anyone in that situation to pass up. If you do have locks, why waste an extra 5 minutes trying to remove them?

tracer_racer03
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 01:50:11 AM
All I can say is that I had my stock 19's stolen two weeks after taking delivery of my car. Everyone says "I sure wish someone would steel my wheels..." well I can tell you that its no fun. Not only did they bend up the heat shields and pull the car out of alignment, but the cement blocks they left it on bent up both floor boards on the driver and passenger side. I now have locks on my car and it has been passed by at least four times (so much for the security of a gated community).... That is the number of times since then I have seen other cars up on blocks while my RGR's stayed put. Yeah, they could get them if they wanted them, but they're going to have to work really hard. So far, they have taken easier targets. Luckily I haven't seen any cars hit in the last four months.... I'm hoping the fckers got shot (completely legal in Texas...maybe this place isn't so bad after all).

Rev8k
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 01:54:34 AM
Time is the worst enemy of a car thief and 5 minutes is like an eternity to remove wheel locks for them.

RydeWitM3
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 02:29:20 AM
You have classy aquaintances.

lol, thats exactly what they are, aquaintances. :thumbsup:

sy0296
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 04:02:22 AM
Wrong!
Sears makes a tool that can remove stripped bolts easily. Which means it will most likely work on a wheel lock too. Be afraid, be very afraid!

the wheels lock i have is a two layered stud--kinda hard to explain and i believe the better ones are also designed with way, and will break of unless removed with the key. if they tried to remove the lock with one of these tools, (or chisle or whatever else thieves use to take off locks) all they'll be left with is the bottom layer of the stud which still hold the wheel onto the hub. the only way to get that out now is by drilling it which is a time consuming (and loud) process...