Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : You're the Experts

m3user
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 02:35:07 PM
I've got a 2002 M3 with SMG, stock, 11,000 miles. It's never been to the dealer for anything except oil changes. I moved shortly after I bought it, and the only mail notice I've ever gotten was the 100,000 mile warranty extension. There are so many posts on the board that I can't figure out whether there's only one recall (rod bearing) or two for the engine. Also, are there any other recalls in play or any other "must do" changes? Finally, what are your opinions as to the best/brightest fog lamp replacement bulbs currently available?

Thanks for your help!

M3_shin
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 02:40:42 PM
If you have a 02 M3, then you should fall under the rod bearing recall, go to your dealer and inquire about it, also, did you purchase your M3 used w/ 11k miles? Or have you had it new and only put on 11k miles?? Either way, take it to the dealer and make sure the recall has been done, you can check out http://www.hoen-usa.com for the fog lights, most of the members here are running their fogs from hoen.

Red330I
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 02:54:09 PM
Call your dealer and give them your VIN, they'll tell you if you need the recall done.

As for the fog lights, I just installed the Hoens on my car and they're great.

Sirius
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 04:21:52 PM
I can tell you if you need the recall done or not. Get me the last 7 of the vin, via PM please.

bvnmspt
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 05:30:26 PM
There's also an SMG relay recall too.

As for fogs, go with x-tec xenon upgrade or something similar. You do have a nice car, don't skimp with a cheap hoen wanna-be xenon upgrade. If you take a look at some bulbs, you'll notice some sort of coating. This does change the color of the light, but you will also lose brightness. You'll have to get something that outputs more than 55W to match your stock intensity. Xenon fog upgrade are $300. Yeah, it does cost a lot more that xenon look alike, but the brightness you get out of it is truely incredible. I ended up going with the cheap ugrade first and then went with a true xenon. Don't waste your money on a xenon match halogen. Save your $30 and put it towards the real xenons. Just make sure that you get 4300k to match factory headlights. I ended up replacing my headlights and fogs to 6000k. That's an addition $150.