Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : Should I?

AhsanU
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 02:31:46 AM
Well, the M3 is sitting in the garage now, getting some beauty sleep. Should I start up the engine and warm it up for 5-10 mins every now and then? Say.. every 4 days or so? I was told not to just leave it started by my dealer, don't know how accurate that is.

I don't want my battery dying again. Last year my M3 was flat bed'ed to the dealer because of a dead battery. Jump starting wouldn't work so they had to take it.

Idz21
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 02:33:02 AM
Well, the M3 is sitting in the garage now, getting some beauty sleep. Should I start up the engine and warm it up for 5-10 mins every now and then? Say.. every 4 days or so? I was told not to just leave it started by my dealer, don't know how accurate that is.

I don't want my battery dying again. Last year my M3 was flat bed'ed to the dealer because of a dead battery. Jump starting wouldn't work so they had to take it.
Yea I was thinking about doing the same myself. I might open the garage door tomorrow when I get back from work and let her run for a little.

sy0296
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 02:33:31 AM
had my M off for about 5wks on my last trip and no problems.

DaBean
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 02:33:35 AM
I will last for at least 3 weeks in decently cold weather.. over the holidays, I left it sitting in an outdoors garage (car covered.. of course), and it was fine.. started without a hitch. Driving it around the block or so once in a while when the roads are cleared up is not a bad idea...

AhsanU
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 02:38:01 AM
Hmm..

More snow headed towards us (tri-state area). I should warm her up huh.

DarkVader
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 02:48:08 AM
Mine has been in the garage since November without a start up. Should probably go start the **** up but I am going to want to drive it. Damn car is like crack cocaine!!!!!!

Red330I
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 02:53:39 AM
I was thinking of running mine in the garage as well, but read it isn't good to let it idle and then turn it off without driving. With all the snow we just had in MA my car won't see the roads for a while. I hate snow so much.

MLINER
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 02:55:15 AM
I would do it just to make sure the battery won't die out

Beowoulf
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 03:02:28 AM
It is not a good idea to just start the car for a while and then just shut it off unless you drive it. If the weather and roads are clear take her for a drive, if not then leave her be.

If you guys are worried about the battery, then get a battery tender.

GHOSTRIDER
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 03:22:41 AM
Interesting info guys. I was unaware that starting a car and not driving it could be a bad thing. Wonder why?

BrassM3
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 03:31:04 AM
Get a tender if you are worried about the battery. If you start it then you should drive it to bring the car up to opertating temperature. If you don't heat it enough then you will build up condensation in the engine and exhaust and this can be vary bad for the workings of the vehicle. Also, this is horrible for the environment... letting a car run and not going anywhere. So, if you're just gonna leave it in the garage, don't start it. Remember though, leaving a car parked for extended periods of time is not only bad for the battery and engine (settling of oil) but it's also bad for the tranny, suspension and tires just to name a few things. The best solution is to not leave it sitting, but I know how much it sucks to drive it in the snow/slush/winter muck.

For best results IMO, drive the car once a week hard to get all the moisture out of the components and then park it... do not start it and let it idle.

GoKuA
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 03:39:00 AM
Now I really start to worry about mine.... I've been having it off for the past 3 months due to a business trip to Asia. Matter fact, I'm still on the trip now and I'm coming back in a week. But I really don't want to come back and see it's lying dead in the garage. :cry:

From what I know, the LED on the radio panel is still flashing. Does it mean the battery is still working fine?

Idz21
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 03:39:41 AM
Get a tender if you are worried about the battery. If you start it then you should drive it to bring the car up to opertating temperature. If you don't heat it enough then you will build up condensation in the engine and exhaust and this can be vary bad for the workings of the vehicle.
Wouldn't any kind of condensation evaporate as soon as the engine starts firing off? I mean it gets so hot in there that it's impossible for any water to be formed.

BrassM3
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 07:24:27 PM
The problem occurs when the condensation is sitting in these parts for any length of time. The water will react with certain metals and begin to corrode them... causing damage, it won't be significant in the beginning but we all know rust/ corrosion is like cancer for a car. If you run the car till its hot though the condensation does not form.

Beowoulf
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 07:27:39 PM
BrassM3 is correct, that's why I said either drive it or leave it be.

RagingLamb
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 08:15:22 PM
Mine's been sitting with a battery tender and fuel stabilizer. I drove it once a week for 15 minutes when the roads were clear. But I stopped doing that a couple of months ago. I've never started the engine without driving afterwards. Hopefully she'll be fine.

Thrill
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 09:44:36 PM
Always bring the car up to running temp for at least 15 minutes or do not start it. I keep heavy plastic under my stored other car to keep moisture from coming up thru the concrete. This would be a little over kill for short storage periods. I know its been hard on my stored car. Cars really are meant to be driven.

Super Gyros
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 09:55:44 PM
Dont start the car and then turn it off. I would recommend taking a small ride and then put it back to garage. when I couldnt walk drive I would have my GF drive the car once a week.

ninook
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 01:19:18 AM
It is not a good idea to just start the car for a while and then just shut it off unless you drive it. If the weather and roads are clear take her for a drive, if not then leave her be.

If you guys are worried about the battery, then get a battery tender.

True, if you start it, running it at idle for 5 minutes will not charge the battery enough to replace the power you used to start the car. You're actually speeding up the death of the battery. I had this happen to me. I was in Iceland for 3 months while a friend started my car once a week. He didn't drive it until one day it wouldn't start. He had to have it jumped. After he drove it around for a few miles, it was ok.
Also, I've heard that starting the car and shutting it off before it reaches normal operating temp is not a good idea.

MALinAustin
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 01:33:24 AM

Must really **** to live somewhere where you can't drive the M everday.

:wave:

Rev8k
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 01:52:08 AM
I really can't believe this question is a thread. It's like asking if one should open the windows or run the a/c if the ambient temperature is 70 degrees.

Midwest M3
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 02:51:08 AM
I really can't believe this question is a thread. It's like asking if one should open the windows or run the a/c if the ambient temperature is 70 degrees.

LOL!!

My "M" gets put away around T.Giving and will not see the light of day again till early April. It sucks to tuck it away, but come spring - it's like having a new car all over again! Keeps the miles way down too.... There is no way salt, slush etc. from these Minnesota winters will ever touch my car...