Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : My M3 is goin on a diet!

M3PWR.
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 03:29:28 AM
My M3 is goin on a diet! What are the best ways to reduce weight and still have a practical car!

DaBean
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 03:31:24 AM
ask Scott (Divexxtreme).. he's done a lot of dieting mods..

Idz21
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 03:34:16 AM
I probably wouldn't go straight to salad. Just slowly reduce the amount you feed her over time. Instead of having those two cheesesteaks for lunch, just limit it to one. And remember, drink a lot of water!

AhsanU
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 03:44:51 AM
My M3 is goin on a diet! What are the best ways to reduce weight and still have a practical car!

Depends on what you think is practical. Replace the moonroof, get racing seats (again, if you don't think it's practical then don't), try getting a carbon fiber interior from bimmerfreak.com

It's all perspective. If you think racing seats is ok for everyday use, then go grab yourself a pair.

Red330I
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 03:49:59 AM
Lightweight battery, remove M-mobility kit, remove floor and trunk mats, drain washer fluid, carbon fiber hood and trunk, titanium exhaust, etc. There was a long thread on this, try a search it should show up. Hope this helped.

MLINER
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 04:03:22 AM
if you want to go crazy with the lightweight mod i would suggest the following.Carbon fiber fenders,Carbon fiber front bumper,Carbon fiber roof,Carbon fiber trunk,Sparco seats,No moonroof,Lightweight rims,And you can get some carbon fiber door panels front and rear.and you will be savin probably over 300lbs.

DaBean
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 04:06:26 AM
I'd have gone with a different car if I wanted to go that extreme, personally...

I think he's just trying to save maybe 100 pounds or so, without putting too much stress on the useability of the car. Racing seats are a good option... not having gotten the sunroof as well... maybe some lightweight rims and exhaust... perhaps remove the back seat if you never use it (there's a thread about that right now)...
Replacing the external body parts, as MLINER suggests... seems overly difficult and expensive.. IMO

spartacus700
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 04:06:44 AM
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=51955&highlight=diet

iLLG35
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 05:26:55 AM
Any 1 know the best lightweight battery to get and approx how much it is?? I already removed a good portion of weight from the car already, i might go even more extreme int he future :thumbsup:

M3PWR.
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 12:54:16 PM
Thanks for all the suggestion. I guess you guys are right it depends on what i define as practical!

Super Gyros
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 02:09:28 PM
if you want to go crazy with the lightweight mod i would suggest the following.Carbon fiber fenders,Carbon fiber front bumper,Carbon fiber roof,Carbon fiber trunk,Sparco seats,No moonroof,Lightweight rims,And you can get some carbon fiber door panels front and rear.and you will be savin probably over 300lbs.

Replacing body panels isnt such a good thought unless someone is going with OEM CSL parts. A few parts in the market misfit... I dont think you would like a half-an-inch gap between the fender and the hood...

Dan Law
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 03:28:57 PM
If you email me offline, I have the latest weight reduction spreadsheet that may be of assistance.

Dan Law
DERMotorSports@gmail.com

Cruzer
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 03:57:37 PM
Any 1 know the best lightweight battery to get and approx how much it is?? I already removed a good portion of weight from the car already, i might go even more extreme int he future :thumbsup:
I just received my Hawker Lightweight Battery, Thanks to Scott, that thing is like 35 pounds lighter than the stock one. Scoot can post the link for you.

Beach_Bum
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 04:04:41 PM
I just received my Hawker Lightweight Battery, Thanks to Scott, that thing is like 35 pounds lighter than the stock one. Scoot can post the link for you.

Nice. I'm about to order one as well. Is it just plug and play once you get it?

keiphers
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 04:16:06 PM

I'm pretty sure Odyssey's battery is also about 35 pounds lighter, and probably better quality. IMO, nothing beats an Odyssey battery. I've heard the Hawker is nice as well.

Divexxtreme
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 04:44:21 PM
Ummm....Hawker makes Odyssey, Genesis, Yuasa and Cyclon batteries.

I'm pretty sure Odyssey's battery is also about 35 pounds lighter, and probably better quality. IMO, nothing beats an Odyssey battery. I've heard the Hawker is nice as well.

Cruzer
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 05:04:03 PM
Word!

LardebM3
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 05:40:27 PM
I probably wouldn't go straight to salad. Just slowly reduce the amount you feed her over time. Instead of having those two cheesesteaks for lunch, just limit it to one. And remember, drink a lot of water!
I second this recommendation!! Along with plenty of exercise.

iLLG35
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 06:02:48 PM
Ahh so its looks like Hawker is the way to go! Anyone have a link for it and how much it is? That's a minor start, iw ill be getting lighterweight seats, removing rear seats and a few other things for racing :thumbsup:

Beach_Bum
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 07:01:25 PM
Is the battery plug and play besides the 2-3" lifter needed underneath it?

daapower
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 07:06:23 PM
just gut out the whole interior, and get some magnesium wheels.

04tytaniumsylvr
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 07:08:43 PM
Lightweight Battery, Full Titanium Exhaust, lightened flywheel (this will also get you through the powerband much quicker) :thumbsup:, lighter wheels... a few mods you can do without comprosing quality.

keiphers
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 09:20:26 PM

Me > :chair: Haha not sure how I didn't know Hawker made Odyssey, since I've been running the PC1700MJT in my truck for over a year... Anyways, Hawker/Odyssey makes an awesome product. What exaclty is the model that works with the M3?

M3PWR.
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 12:16:50 AM
How much do the stock 18'' wheels weigh?

iLLG35
Thu, Jan-27-2005, 12:30:17 AM
Lightweight Battery, Full Titanium Exhaust, lightened flywheel (this will also get you through the powerband much quicker) :thumbsup:, lighter wheels... a few mods you can do without comprosing quality.

Welll, i already shed off a few good pounds ont he car, now im taking it a step further! I will be getting battery, lightweight flywheel (Which one?), i have BBS CH's, those are pretty light, my brake kit free'd up about 30-40 lbs i think? And im going with eisenmann but prob not TI, that is sososo expensive! :nixweiss: