Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : Did a 360 This Morning

Thrill
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 12:32:06 AM
Conditions were dry 27 degrees dry roads the M needed driven. First time the M has surprised me. Kicked the backend out when I did not expect it. Itís good to get a little wake up call every now and then. I laughed at myself.

Rev8k
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 12:34:50 AM
Looks like you'll be sleeping on the couch tonight...

GiveMeAnM3
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 01:14:29 AM
LOL! Glad you and the car are ok...

Surely, you didn't tell your wife what REALLY happened...

Rat Fink
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 01:16:47 AM
Damn if I am not in the dog house again.

LOL - That's too funny!

Thrill
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 01:35:20 AM

I tried but she knows me all to well. I think me shiiit eating grin was a a give away.

warmwater
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 01:39:49 AM
Where are your snow tires?

ArtM3
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 01:43:29 AM
glad no injury or damage, other than ego, and the wife had to be right there! LOL

where'd it happen?

bradd15
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 01:54:51 AM
Is that interstate 275,71,or75? What mall is across?

Thrill
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 02:04:29 AM
That is 275 about 5 miles West of where 75 and 275 meet. The Mall is Cincinnati Mills. It had been called Forest Fair Mall. A Cop stopped also and basically had a laugh with me.

DaBean
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 02:07:28 AM
Yea.. I'd recommend snow tires for this time of the year... I'm sure Cincinnati gets its fair share of snow...

mflip04
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 02:09:01 AM
glad to see that everything is okay :beer:

M3_shin
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 02:13:14 AM
haha...glad to see your having fun in this crappy weather :beer:

Thrill
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 02:22:53 AM
haha...glad to see your having fun in this crappy weather :beer:

Winter does change the driving experience in this part of the country. I was a little disappointed that only one person stopped to see if I needed help. I think the 360 along with the wife seeing the result will be enough fun to last for awhile.

Scumfrog
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 02:56:45 AM
Glad to see you and your car are physically ok, even if your ego is a bit bruised :) Happens to the best of us - now all you need to do is convince your wife to see it your way :)

G-MAN
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 02:57:02 AM
dude you cant be running your summers in that weather especially with the power the M has

M3_POWER
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 03:04:17 AM
dude you cant be running your summers in that weather especially with the power the M has

Great story bro, but boy does the dog house sucks!

Alpine Pete
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 03:10:41 AM
Glad you and your car are all right. Did you have DSC on?

Idz21
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 03:39:03 AM
haha you know what? Your M looks pretty damn sexy sitting there off-road in those pics. I think your color is the only one that could give me a semi while in that condition. :thumbsup: Glad you didn't do any damage.

bender73
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 03:54:20 AM
haha you know what? Your M looks pretty damn sexy sitting there off-road in those pics. I think your color is the only one that could give me a semi while in that condition. :thumbsup: Glad you didn't do any damage.

LOL

i thought i was the only one thinking...

"damn good looking M3" :D

then i was like, oh, he spun!!!

Thrill
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 03:58:04 AM
I did not have the DSC on. I was kicking the rear out intentionally. It did damage the ego a little. The wife will do the real damage.

DaBean
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 03:59:28 AM

Whattdya want.. tis only the best color ;) :peace: :beer: :smiley_ab

paso1
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 03:59:43 AM
That pole was close

Glad evrything is okay.

Thrill
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 04:02:46 AM
My first spin out in the M and all is well.

spartacus700
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 04:04:33 AM
I feel for you man... it's good you have a sense of humor :beer:

Idz21
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 04:05:32 AM
I did not have the DSC on. I was kicking the rear out intentionally. It did damage the ego a little. The wife will do the real damage.
well she'll either

1. Be happy that you weren't hurt http://www.orderofronin.com/forums/images/smilies/monsin.gif

2. Be REALLY happy that you weren't hurt http://www.orderofronin.com/forums/images/smilies/bj3.gif

3. Give you one of those, "what were you thinking" slaps http://www.orderofronin.com/forums/images/smilies/slap.gif

4. Straight spank youhttp://www.orderofronin.com/forums/images/smilies/spankme.gif

5. STRAIGHT spank you http://www.orderofronin.com/forums/images/smilies/spank.gif

6. or just kick your ass http://www.orderofronin.com/forums/images/smilies/buttkick.gif

7. and finally there's the simple chew your ear out http://www.orderofronin.com/forums/images/smilies/angry.gif

DaBean
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 04:07:28 AM
Just curious: why would you turn DCS OFF when there is possibility of black ice on the roads?

Rev8k
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 04:09:49 AM
Hey Dabean, from a distance your profile looks just like George W. Bush...

Thrill
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 04:19:50 AM
well she'll either

1. Be happy that you weren't hurt http://www.orderofronin.com/forums/images/smilies/monsin.gif

2. Be REALLY happy that you weren't hurt http://www.orderofronin.com/forums/images/smilies/bj3.gif

3. Give you one of those, "what were you thinking" slaps http://www.orderofronin.com/forums/images/smilies/slap.gif

4. Straight spank youhttp://www.orderofronin.com/forums/images/smilies/spankme.gif

5. STRAIGHT spank you http://www.orderofronin.com/forums/images/smilies/spank.gif

6. or just kick your ass http://www.orderofronin.com/forums/images/smilies/buttkick.gif

7. and finally there's the simple chew your ear out http://www.orderofronin.com/forums/images/smilies/angry.gif

She is happy I was not hurt. But she is also one of those gals who would cut it off and throw it in the blender if you f#%ed up real bad. As far as the DSC being off, I knew the conditions were questionable but the devil was calling.

gspot
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 04:43:50 AM
well then lets just hope for your sake that ur wife doesnt read the m3 forum or find her way to this post ...

Red330I
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 04:52:00 AM
When I read the thread title I thought it was going to be a story of how you raced a 360 modena. Then read it and looked at the pics, boy do I feel dumb :banghead:

Good to see you're alright.

dejablu311
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 05:02:58 AM
haha. damn dude. Glad you and your car are okay. Sucks the wife caught ya.

iLLG35
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 05:16:39 AM

LOL seriously, be carefull man, these cars are no joke! The car scares me in this weather, especially with my setup! On dry pavement in this cold weather a hard first to second where im spinning all through first, sand then spinning in second and fishtailing back and forth and fighting witht he car def. wakes me up LOL :thumbsup:

Thrill
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 01:34:12 PM
LOL seriously, be carefull man, these cars are no joke! The car scares me in this weather, especially with my setup! On dry pavement in this cold weather a hard first to second where im spinning all through first, sand then spinning in second and fishtailing back and forth and fighting witht he car def. wakes me up LOL :thumbsup:

Thanks I will. Need to stick to straight line bursts in the cold. The mini drifts work well in the warm but its a little to slick with the hard tires and cold roads right now. Mine usually spins all the way through first in cold conditions also. I can't wait for summer.

Idz21
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 01:35:42 PM
so your wife would've never found out had she not been driving past right at that moment?

RYANM330CI
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 02:01:28 PM
WOW you got lucky that there was damage :thumbsup: I had the same thing happen to me in my E36 M3.

Thrill
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 02:34:08 PM
so your wife would've never found out had she not been driving past right at that moment?

I knew she would be driving by. Hoped to be gone before she got there. I almost made it.

Thrill
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 02:40:33 PM
WOW you got lucky that there was damage :thumbsup: I had the same thing happen to me in my E36 M3.

Misery loves company. Hope you came out as easy as I did. These things will get the heart to pumping pretty fast. It was not much of a slope thank goodness. Got it washed later that day when it got above freezing and she looks good.

nrubenstein
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 02:44:57 PM
Oy.

If you think hitting the brakes when you've got the tail out is a good idea, then you're going to stuff that car in a BIG way someday.

Idz21
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 02:51:12 PM
Oy.

If you think hitting the brakes when you've got the tail out is a good idea, then you're going to stuff that car in a BIG way someday.
Why so rude Mr. Nick? You should've just explained what he should have done.

nrubenstein
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 02:54:43 PM
Why so rude Mr. Nick? You should've just explained what he should have done.
That's the really, really nice, polite version.

And it's not a matter of explaining what he should have done. What he needs to do is get on a skidpad and learn car control.

Idz21
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 02:59:33 PM
That's the really, really nice, polite version.

And it's not a matter of explaining what he should have done. What he needs to do is get on a skidpad and learn car control.
yea but he's such a polite gentleman.

The way to get out of a tail-out like that is to let off the gas, and if you're really in trouble try pumping the brakes lightly. or modulating the brake - whichever is the proper term.

I've been on the skidpad and when you start to lose your tail if you get off the throttle right away the car comes back to normal.

Thrill
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 03:08:24 PM
Oy.

I am not talking about hitting the brakes, I am talking about a jab. The rear tires were spinning much faster then the car was sliding. If I had just been sliding I agree 100%. Haven't you ever had the rears spinning to fast so you jabbed the brakes to stop them from spinning. I understand that typically you would just pedal the car. If your not going that fast and you stop the rears from spinning the rear will hook back up. I believe you are thinking in terms of track driving when you are at the edge of adhesion in a corner. It that case it certainly would be a bad idea. When your going fast or you are on the edge jabbing the brakes is not an option or a good idea unless you are just trying to bleed off speed before the ouch.

iLLG35
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 03:18:34 PM
yea but he's such a polite gentleman.

The way to get out of a tail-out like that is to let off the gas, and if you're really in trouble try pumping the brakes lightly. or modulating the brake - whichever is the proper term.

I've been on the skidpad and when you start to lose your tail if you get off the throttle right away the car comes back to normal.

You let off the gas MAYBE, but most of the time you are suppose to give it throttle and steer into correction, if you hit the brakes while your back is out then nothings helping you, you have to control the car with its on power and throttle lightly!

nrubenstein
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 03:35:32 PM
If the tail is really going out, hitting the brakes makes everything much worse. Where does the weight go when you brake? The only time I ever spun occurred when I lifted at a stupid time. I didn't even brake, just lifted. And that was for a quarter of a second, MAYBE. I got the wheel to full opposite lock, but I still wasn't fast enough with the steering inputs. I'm a hell of a lot faster now and I've learned, but the M3 on a stockish suspension can be VERY hard to deal with when it snaps around.

You have to have razor sharp reactions to catch this car when the suspension gets out of sorts.

I'm not sure what you were doing, but it's clear that whatever it was, you need training. I've had the M3 on black ice, and it doesn't snap around all that fast, even when you're doing dumb things with the throttle. Believe me, I've checked. It may have felt incredibly fast, but that's very likely because you just don't have the reflexes trained in.

Whether or not it's seen as the polite approach, if I can scare even one person into getting real driving instruction, it's well worth it. Traction control, front wheel drive, and "safety oriented" suspension design have created a generation of idiot drivers.

Thrill
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 03:54:43 PM
I must admit I am a little slow in my old age and I tend to agree with what is being offered. I know that training and experience have no substitute. In this instance all I had time to do was lift and steer in the direction of the spin. Maybe If I was 30 again. With that said I have been pedaling cars around corners in the country since I was 15. This is the first time I have left the road with many years of aggressive driving under my belt. As far as not snapping around that fast on black ice, did you have your foot in it on a corner when you hit the ice? With all due respect think about what would happen if you are under hard power in a corner in an induced over steer situation tail out and then hit ice. Snap around is perhaps even an under statement. I do want to get to driving school. I have total respect for you guys who have taken your skill to the next level. I know without the training and experience I am not there.

Idz21
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 03:59:11 PM
When I spoke of using brakes I didn't mean to hit the brakes and hold it there. You need to pump the brakes. DCS can pump your brakes about 20-25 times per second when it senses trouble. The best race car drivers can do it 3 times per second. This is why it's not advised to turn DSC off in regular street driving.

DaBean
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 04:44:50 PM
Even finding an open parking lot with snow can give you an idea of how to control the car. I personally feel much more confortable with it now that I can do some drifting with it. I know that dry pavement is a different thing, but it's a step...

However, turning DSC off when street driving, let alone on wet pavement, and even much worse on snowy days, is not a good idea... I know that from personal experience. You are lucky there was an open side to the road...

And I don't think I look like GWB... thank you very much :banghead:

iLLG35
Wed, Jan-26-2005, 06:11:27 PM
If the tail is really going out, hitting the brakes makes everything much worse. Where does the weight go when you brake? The only time I ever spun occurred when I lifted at a stupid time. I didn't even brake, just lifted. And that was for a quarter of a second, MAYBE. I got the wheel to full opposite lock, but I still wasn't fast enough with the steering inputs. I'm a hell of a lot faster now and I've learned, but the M3 on a stockish suspension can be VERY hard to deal with when it snaps around.

You have to have razor sharp reactions to catch this car when the suspension gets out of sorts.

I'm not sure what you were doing, but it's clear that whatever it was, you need training. I've had the M3 on black ice, and it doesn't snap around all that fast, even when you're doing dumb things with the throttle. Believe me, I've checked. It may have felt incredibly fast, but that's very likely because you just don't have the reflexes trained in.

Whether or not it's seen as the polite approach, if I can scare even one person into getting real driving instruction, it's well worth it. Traction control, front wheel drive, and "safety oriented" suspension design have created a generation of idiot drivers.

You are correct, and that's the exact approach i took towards driving with me wanting to race and auto-xing! Im 20, and although people will doubt me, i became very experienced in my driving already! I took one course and am going to take major ones this spring/summer, i feel with my driving skill now in a few years of training and more experience i will be a great, real good driver and everyone seems to think it also, i guess some people are meant to drive and others arent! I went througha ll last winter in my G35 on bald tires, i knew how to drive, when to gas/brake or whatever, i just have a good sense for things and take it easy if i am not familiar witht he car, road etc. :thumbsup: